INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Logitech Media Server necessary?  (Read 1505 times)

PatrickC

• Recent member
Is Logitech Media Server necessary?
« on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »

I'm going to take a minimalist approach with my new HTPC. For those with a Squeezebox Touch and/or a Vortexbox Appliance NAS, have you been able to do without LMS software and use MC 17 only? Is it recommended?
Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

ogs

• World Citizen
Re: Is Logitech Media Server necessary?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:10:56 am »

There is no way to stream from MC to a squeezebox if this is what you are asking. You'll need LMS for that. Vortexbox can use a locally connected sound card and work as a squeezebox with LMS, but you can not play from MC in any way. To make MC work with a Touch or other squeezebox JRiver would have to add the squeezebox streaming code to MC. The code description is open and available, but I do not believe this is something we'll see even if Logitech decided to keep the squeezebox line.
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is Logitech Media Server necessary?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »

LMS is needed to send sound to the Squeezeboxes and sync them. MC cannot do this on its own.

I have now set LMS to an empty folder, i.e. no tracks in the LMS database, removed all unnecessary plugins and use only MC to send tracks to the Squeezeboxes via Whitebear. It works very well for me, better than it worked with only LMS since I have a collection that is obviously too large to be handled well by LMS with Erland's plugins.

I use a test version of Whitebear with some important enhancements. I expect Andrew will release a new version of Whitebear soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up