INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Auto Detecting Questions...  (Read 1491 times)

mbc0

• Recent member
Movie Auto Detecting Questions...
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:57:03 am »

Hi,

I am a new user (from Win 7 MCE) and have a couple of questions regarding the Auto Detection with regards to movies

1, Some movies detect fine (several hundred) but alot just do something weird resulting in them not being alphabetical.. For example, filename: Because Of Winn Dixie (2005).avi The movie is detected ok but the title for the movie is WINN_DIXIE so with alphabetically ordering it is pushed right to W instead of B.

2, Most of the movie covers are in a foreign language I cannot see a way to change this, surely I should be able to select where my movie information comes from especially if we are on V18! :-(

3, I use my WHS2011 Server to hold the database & use 3 clients to connect to it which works perfectly.  However maintaining the database on the server via remote is a little clunky & would like to maintain the database from my Desktop which is lightening fast! how can I do this?

Many Thanks

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie Auto Detecting Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:10 am »

2, Most of the movie covers are in a foreign language I cannot see a way to change this, surely I should be able to select where my movie information comes from especially if we are on V18! :-(

The foreign language covers are indeed annoying!  I don't know if there is a way to change teh default lookup site but you can always change it manually by right-clicking on the file and selecting Get Movie Info.  You'll then get a dialogue with a number of sources and can execute a search on each one to find the best match.  You can choose whether to bring across the artowrk or the netadata from that source or both.

3, I use my WHS2011 Server to hold the database & use 3 clients to connect to it which works perfectly.  However maintaining the database on the server via remote is a little clunky & would like to maintain the database from my Desktop which is lightening fast! how can I do this?

I don't think it is possible to maintain a server's database from a client, however this is something that has been requested a lot. Please add your voice to the MC18 requests thread!

Many Thanks

[/quote]

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:34:16 am »

Thanks for the reply,

With approx 3000 movies this is going to be alot harder than I thought!!!!   I am heading over to MC18 requests, just a little suprised/concerned that these issues exist in such an established media center when they have not been an issue for years with the free alternatives :-( I thought I would rather shell out $50 and not have to worry about little annoyances given from the free ones... Although everything looks fantastic it is looking like I have taken a few steps back :-(

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:18 am »

I think the cover art issue in foreign languages have been improved in MC18, but it might still be a problem. The reason I think, is that covers are being uploaded to themovieDB without a language tag. That is, if I remember correctly from the discussions some weeks ago.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Movie Auto Detecting Questions...
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:06 am »

hi.  no words of wisdom, just some sympathy. i had many fewer than 3000 but found the first transition a bit annoying. 

last year i asked to have the bulkimport dialog ask if you want to do only data, only images or both.  this would be a potential help for you also as i presume you have covers saved already and just need tvdb mrtadata.

i am not sure if this is a good suggestion... but you could try moving to pvd (personal video database) and pvdimport ( an mc pluggin). this will give you a lot more control over metadata at the expense of a second program (mc does get updated automatically so no extra work). if you already have images saved in the directory and well named files it wold be even easier. 

there was much discussion earlier in the year about 'needed' improvements including cases like yours. hopefully we will see it v18.

do remember that once you get over this hump it is much more tolerable.

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:54 am »

Thanks for the reply, I will have to look into pvd as this is just too painful!

Cheers

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:29:47 am »

Yea... The online meta data and cover art scraper got a good boost last year, but there are still several things that it could do better.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up