INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple entries for same cd  (Read 9071 times)

django1

• Recent member
Multiple entries for same cd
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:28:09 pm »

Here is a picture.  This happens off and on and I haven't found out how to get the whole cd back into one file.  Help!  MC16

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Multiple entries for same cd
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Be sure, for all tracks:

- Album is exactly the same
 - Artist is exactly the same for single artist albums, or for multiple artist CDs...
   ... set Album Artist to a single album artist or leave it clear (to get MC's Multiple Artist behavior)
 - Media files reside in the same directory
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

django1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:17:43 am »

Thanks for your reply.  Does that mean I have to re rip?  I think the Ravel is a download and all the same Artist Album.  Here is a screen capture of a rip  I did yesterday.  (Notice the irony of the album name: "Once")  All 13 tracks are the same Artist Album.  So I am not sure what to do...
 Bear with me as I express a little criticism  ;).  I like JRiver a lot.  Compliments first.  I would like it even more if it was simplified.  It would be nice if I could just drag and drop to correct this problem.  I will never use 95 % of the stuff included in JRiver as I don't have the time or interest to learn all the terms and ins and outs.  I just want to rip CDs and listen to quality stuff.  Rant off...

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:30 am »

No, you don't have to re-rip.  You can change a some entries in MC.

This may be the easiest route for now... If you can export the entries and send them to me, I'll see what's causing the issue.  To do this, be in any audio view, and then:

- go to File > Export Playlist
  - in the Save in area, Browse to your Desktop
  - select Format > Text File (CSV delimited)
  - select Included Fields> All Fields
  - select Output Range > All
  - hit OK

I'll PM you my email address.  There is no confidential information in that file.

btw. I'm just a user like you.

django1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »

btw. I'm just a user like you.

Oh, thanks for your time.  And there I thought I was getting to criticize directly to the president of JRiver... ;D

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »

Ok, here's the problem (see red text in attached image).

A couple of tracks are not in adherence to these rules (mentioned above):

The easiest way to correct these is to use Action Window > Tag.  By selecting all of the tracks for a given (problematic) album, you can examine fields such as Album, Filename (path), etc. to see if they are exactly the same. If not, MC will show [Varies], whereby you can correct them by twice clicking the [Varies] value to edit (exception: filename and path information can't be changed here - use the Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy tool).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:44 pm »

Oh, thanks for your time.  And there I thought I was getting to criticize directly to the president of JRiver... ;D
Your turn will come.

django1

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »

django1

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »

Ok, here's the problem (see red text in attached image).

A couple of tracks are not in adherence to these rules (mentioned above):

The easiest way to correct these is to use Action Window > Tag.  By selecting all of the tracks for a given (problematic) album, you can examine fields such as Album, Filename (path), etc. to see if they are exactly the same. If not, MC will show [Varies], whereby you can correct them by twice clicking the [Varies] value to edit (exception: filename and path information can't be changed here - use the Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy tool).

Thanks for your time MrC, I do appreciated it . 

I am sorry to hear that that is the easiest way because I wasn't able to do it successfully.  In the end, just before smashing my computer, I deleted the files and re loaded the cd and corrected before ripping.  That was challenging enough.  I haven't managed to fix the Ravel file which is a download.  I can't see any "Varies" for it

I am sure that there are good reason for this to be so complicated although I couldn't name one.  But I would love to see stuff like this simplified Ipad like.  Why wouldn't files that start ripping automatically off of a cd not all end up in the same "album" on my computer?  Lacking that why not a simple "cut and paste" option for the simple such as myself?  People who don't care to take the time to learn all the vocabulary  and functions...

MrC

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:11:41 pm »

I gave a way that was easiest to explain; giving step-by-step instructions walking someone through a user interface is sometimes tedious and difficult.  There are many ways to update the tags.  You can do it directly in the file list, or the panes view if you want.

The Ravel album has the same problem - the Album name differs for all three tracks:

1st movement Allegramente
   2nd movement Adagio assa
   3rd movement Presto

Why would you expect these three tracks to appear under a single album, when all three tracks have different Album names?

If you tell MC to rip an album, and give different Album names for various tracks, it will dutifully conform to your directions.  GIGO.

The grouping you see is MC's default grouping in its default views.  If you'd prefer to group some other way, so that you don't have to worry about tags such as Album, etc., you can setup a view to work this way.  For example, you might want to see albums based upon their location in the file system.

I'm not sure what you're asking about re: the simple "cut and paste".  MC does cut and paste just fine, and has much more functionality than any of us discover in years of usage.

Its best if you describe exactly what you want to accomplish, and then folks here can help you achieve that most efficiently.  This will prevent many a smashed computer.

django1

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:09 pm »

Yes I did finally figure out the Ravel...

I don't want to get into a peeing contest as I did really appreciate your help. 

As  someone who purchased a product I think I am entitled to have and to voice preferences.   The software developer can then chose to integrate them or not.  Just as I can choose to purchase software that gives me greater satisfaction.

As I did download the Ravel as one album and it all downloaded to one folder on my computer,  I do not find it unreasonable to expect that MC  would recognize it  as one album.  I couldn't tell you why the  album name showed up alternately as "1st movement Allegramente, 2nd movement Adagio assa, 3rd movement Presto" and I don't really care.  To express it differently, I get the feeling that I will be serving the software rather than having it serve me...   When I refer to cut and paste or drag and drop I meant that the most intuitive way to deal with my problem of multiples would be to drag one file on top of the other and voila! One album, no more problem.

On the other album, ripped from a cd, I don't know why I get "and" substituted for "&" on a couple of tracks.  My point is that I would like that the software I purchase  take care of this for me. 

I would happily give up 80% of the functionality, which I will never use, for ease of use.

Any way thanks for your help.

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:33 am »

:'( What he said, & I thought it was stated very well.
Considering i have a new dedicated CPU just for MC 17 my patience is growing thin ,as 2yrs back i tried this J river & found it to be WAYYYYYYYYYY too user unfriendly. Win 7 was new then so figured now the kinks would be less. Gee & I thought I was going to do video ,tv also 

Have-not given up yet but it's one thing after another, currently it's my rip speed which will take till the year 3006 to finish my library

I have the latest version , did reboot & anything I could find here . :'(         
Pages: [1]   Go Up