INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Video_TS folder is not using MadVR  (Read 2004 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Playing Video_TS folder is not using MadVR
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:58:24 am »

Title says it all. Can't get it to work. It's using Enhanced Video Renderer instead.

All settings are set properly as far as I can tell. My own PC does use MadVR on the same sources.

Sandy B Ridge

Re: Playing Video_TS folder is not using MadVR
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:12:41 am »

Yes, this is unfortunately by design.

MadVR has a problem with the Win7 DVD Navigator filter (qDVD.dll) because of a so called 'Macrovision error'. The DVD Navigator filter sends out an extra 'pin' to the video renderer which works ok with EVR, but not MadVR. There are lots of threads on 'MadVR Macrovision error' if you want to google it.

There are some possible workarounds eg. Replacing the Win7 qDVD.dll with the XP qDVD.dll one, but since this would require replacing system files I think JRiver have decided to just use EVR for VideoTS.  Adding ffdshow in the path may also help. Lots have managed it with MPC-HC, but I think MC is 'hard wired' to reject MadVR for DVDs. I've played with the custom RO function to try and force it, but failed miserably.

There's some active work on LAV filters to support DVD decoding (MC doesn't use LAV either for Video TS at the moment), but this wouldn't necessarily solve the macrovision problem.

With MadVR's new upscaling algorithms I would love for this to work in MC for DVDs.

SBR

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:42:51 am »

MadVR has a problem with the Win7 DVD Navigator filter (qDVD.dll) because of a so called 'Macrovision error'. The DVD Navigator filter sends out an extra 'pin' to the video renderer which works ok with EVR, but not MadVR. There are lots of threads on 'MadVR Macrovision error' if you want to google it.

The extra pin and the macrovision problem are unrelated things. The extra pin is only a problem with the Microsoft DVD decoder, but with future LAV versions it could also be used for DVD decoding - but that still leaves the Macrovision error which some people seem to run into.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:21 am »

But my own PC does it and I've done nothing to make that work ?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:51:33 am »

But my own PC does it and I've done nothing to make that work ?
Sorry, I didn't realise that you meant it worked in MC on your own PC. I assumed you ran something else and it worked on that.
The extra pin and the macrovision problem are unrelated things. The extra pin is only a problem with the Microsoft DVD decoder, but with future LAV versions it could also be used for DVD decoding - but that still leaves the Macrovision error which some people seem to run into.
thanks for the correction.

Any tips for making VideoTS folders/files work in MC would be gratefully received. By whatever kludge/etc. (Happy to change system files/add custom filters/change registry settings/whatever to get this working)

SBR

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 08:10:58 am »

Video_TS folders work just fine in MC. :P
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:18:11 am »

Of course they do :P.

Except that on my HTPC playback is not using MadVR and I don't know how to correct it.

My own pc uses MadVR for video_ts.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:39:40 am »

What I do is just convert my Video_TS files to MKV using the free "makeMKV" program. Then MadVR will be used during playback - plus it puts the movies into one nice neat file instead of a folder full of vob files.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:52:46 am »

Yeh but that's more of a workaround than a fix for the issue.

I do make mkv's for things that I like to keep on disk but I don't want to have to make mkv's for things I don't want to keep on disk. I just want to rip it to a folder to play it (htpc doesn't have a dvd/bluray drive).
Pages: [1]   Go Up