INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server vs Direct Access  (Read 1778 times)

Snowmonkey

• Recent member
Library Server vs Direct Access
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:29:06 pm »

I've noticed a strange thing. I have tried using the Library server to stream high-res (24/96 FLAC) tracks from my PC to my laptop (using WiFi). When the track is playing, both my DAC and MediaCenter indicate that the source is 320kbps MP3, at 48khz. Alternatively, if I configure a library on my laptop to directly monitor the hard drive on the PC and access the tracks that way, they play in the correct format and bitrate. I am using WASAPI - Event Style output.
I'm new to JRiver, so I guess the question I have is: Why use the Library server?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server vs Direct Access
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:21 pm »

The Library server is converting the file to stream to the client. If the client can see the drive the files are on, and the drive is mapped as the same path as the server sees the files, then there is an option to "Play Local file...." on the client.

You can also set to never convert on the Server.

On the Client:
"Options - Media Network - Client Options - Play local file if one that matches library server is found"
"Options - Media Network - Client Options - Audio converting"

Ken

If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Snowmonkey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:04:33 am »

Thanks Ken. That makes sense, though I still wonder what the point is in using the Library Server, instead of accessing the server drive directly when both computers are on the same LAN. Accessing directly has the advantage that you can switch libraries on the client, without having to do so on the server. In fact, you don't even need to have MediaCenter running on the server. Am I missing something here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:28 am »

I've noticed a strange thing. I have tried using the Library server to stream high-res (24/96 FLAC) tracks from my PC to my laptop (using WiFi). When the track is playing, both my DAC and MediaCenter indicate that the source is 320kbps MP3, at 48khz. Alternatively, if I configure a library on my laptop to directly monitor the hard drive on the PC and access the tracks that way, they play in the correct format and bitrate. I am using WASAPI - Event Style output.
I'm new to JRiver, so I guess the question I have is: Why use the Library server?
MC can convert and it sounds like you're doing that.  Check the client options.

GuidoW

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:05:33 am »

Thanks Ken. That makes sense, though I still wonder what the point is in using the Library Server, instead of accessing the server drive directly when both computers are on the same LAN. Accessing directly has the advantage that you can switch libraries on the client, without having to do so on the server. In fact, you don't even need to have MediaCenter running on the server. Am I missing something here?

If you're happy using only one instance then you really don't the library server.
I for once love it, when I'm able to define Playlists using my office pc, the tiny htpc keyboard is not really fun for such tasks.
But I use the playlist on the htpc
And I do my tagging and rating where ever, and have it all stored centrally on the library server.
Quite a feature if you ask me.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:09:33 am »

MC can convert and it sounds like you're doing that.  Check the client options.

Yes, I edited my post to say "On the Client"

I have 2 HTPCs clients and a laptop that use my "Server" which is my main PC. I use my mainPC for all my importing, tagging and view construction. Then the clients load the Server library, no need to import all the media into the clients. I also access my server through Gizmo on my phone.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up