INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting from WMA To MP3  (Read 2363 times)

sgirardot1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Converting from WMA To MP3
« on: March 08, 2003, 11:55:40 am »

I just downloaded Media Jukebox, the free version. I love it, except I want to convert all of my WMA(64) files to MP3 (160) If I select a file and choose convert, it starts to decode, but then about half way through encoding to MP3 i get a windows message saying Media Jukebox has encountered an error and needs to close. I can reproduce this everytime.I even deleted the MP3 plugin and downloaded and re-installed. This is a 1.8GHz Celeron with 384 MB of ram running windows XP with all updates current. Any help would be appreciated as I would luv to by this, it is by far the best all around jukebox out there. Thanks, Scott.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting from WMA To MP3
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 12:12:55 pm »

Why do you want to do this? You will not regain any quality by converting from low bitrate to high bitrate. You will only end up with bad sounding files that take up 3 times the amount of hardrive space than the originals.

Essentially what happens when you compress music using any of the lossy formats (WMA, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, etc) is that part of the audio information is lost. This how you start with a 50mb .wav file and end up with a 5mb WMA or MP3. Converting the file to a higher bitrate will not magically restore the information that was discarded during the first compression.

If you want better sound quality from these tracks, you need to rip them again from the CDs. If you don't have the CDs, it is best to leave them as they are.

Rob

sgirardot1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 12:42:43 pm »

THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 12:53:24 pm »

Make sure you have the latest version.

Copy your system info from MJ Help and paste it here.

Try to separate where the problem is.

Can you encode to any other format.  APE, for example?

Do you have enough disk space?

And please don't SHOUT at people when they are trying to help.

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 05:51:14 pm »

I guess I should get in the habit of using smilies more often so people know that I'm really not trying to be sassy. :D

Rob

sgirardot1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 06:16:37 pm »

I have had no trouble converting to a higher or lower bit rate with the WMA Encoder, but for some reason the MP3 gives me trouble. Must be the built in MP3 blocker in windows XP.... :) I will get the Error message log and include it with my next post.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 06:22:51 pm »

> Must be the built in MP3 blocker in windows XP

More likely you inadvertantly DRM'd the files when they were encoded. Can you play these files on any other computer? What ver of WMP did you use when you encoded?

10-27

sgirardot1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 08:43:14 am »

They were encoded with WMP 9.0. I think there is a conflict with the  MP3 encoder and something in my system. That is my guess.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 04:00:34 pm »

That's the problem then. More than likely WMP9 DRM'd (Digital Rights Management) your files or something to that effect (I think the file format spec changed too between WMA8 and WMA9). WMP9 and MJ v8 are incompatible on several levels...this may be one of them. I would bet you can't play these files on another computer. So if WMP9 is still installed can you transcode with that? There may not be an easy solution to this other than re-encoding.

Rx

sgirardot1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 04:05:23 pm »

Thanks xen-uno for your thoughts.

repete

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 02:25:32 am »

I've seen this problem on a couple of systems.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling, make sure nothing else is running when you reinstall, even virus software.  That seemed to remove errors for me.  I can now change wma to mp3 for an mp3 player that cannot handle wma format.

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up