INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASUS Xonar Essence STX ASIO driver issue [Solved]  (Read 19030 times)

pfc

• Recent member
ASUS Xonar Essence STX ASIO driver issue [Solved]
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:55:02 am »

I installed a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card and current driver in my xp computer. I'm using ASIO and had no problem after install. After a J River update to 18.0.63, now I'm getting the following playback error;  Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format "44.1  khz 64bit'.  Us DSP Sudio to  change the  format........  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASUS Xonar Essence STX ASIO driver issue
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:59:23 am »

Double-check your settings in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

There could be multiple ASIO devices, so make sure the right one is selected.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pfc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:23:26 am »

I reinstalled the driver and its working again. Before I reinstalled I checked the ASIO diagnostics box and I was gettig the message that the ASUS card does not support 441000 ouput.

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:12 pm »

I reinstalled the driver and its working again. Before I reinstalled I checked the ASIO diagnostics box and I was gettig the message that the ASUS card does not support 441000 ouput.

The Asus Xonar Essence does indeed support 44.1 kHz playback via ASIO - but only with the latest driver (I didnīt understand if you actually use it) which can be obtained via their homepage. Additionally, you might check your playback bit-depth... the Asus does support up 32 Bit playback (must be configured in the ASIO-panel), not 64 ;)

In any case: http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_STX/#download

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:01:56 am »

I am getting the same error (independent of whether any DSP is enabled or not) with my (new) asus xonar essence st.
I have not tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again. I just installed them on top of them. Anyway, the asio output works in my room correction software (Audiolense), so would you still assume it is a driver issue?

This is under the latest version of JRiver. I have only just gotten the card so I don't know if it would apply to earlier versions.

Best regards,
Mikkel

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »

I am getting the same error (independent of whether any DSP is enabled or not) with my (new) asus xonar essence st.
I have not tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again. I just installed them on top of them. Anyway, the asio output works in my room correction software (Audiolense), so would you still assume it is a driver issue?

This is under the latest version of JRiver. I have only just gotten the card so I don't know if it would apply to earlier versions.

Best regards,
Mikkel

What bitdepth is your output format currently set to?  My understanding is that the ST is limited to 24 bit output, although it will accept 32-bit inputs (which it then truncates and/or (perhaps) dithers to output 24), so there's no real advantage to setting the ASIO bitdepth above 24 bit. 

Also, have you tried the unofficial "Unified Asus" drivers yet?  I found they worked better on my system both in terms of stability and latency.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:04 am »

Hi,

I just tried the unified drivers and I get the same error unfortunately.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:09:59 am »

What bitdepth is your output format currently set to?  My understanding is that the ST is limited to 24 bit output, although it will accept 32-bit inputs (which it then truncates and/or (perhaps) dithers to output 24), so there's no real advantage to setting the ASIO bitdepth above 24 bit. 

Also, have you tried the unofficial "Unified Asus" drivers yet?  I found they worked better on my system both in terms of stability and latency.

It is set to 16-bit (default)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:31:48 am »

It is set to 16-bit (default)

I'd recommend setting it to 24 bit, but that shouldn't be causing your problem.  

Three suggestions:

1) If you look at "output format" in DSP studio, what are you sample rate settings like?  Are you you up-sampling or down-sampling?  Sometimes, I've had strange results when these settings weren't just right.  This is unlikely to be your problem, but it's worth a look.

2) Also, in the "output mode settings" dialog box under Audio Options, have you tried using the ASIO diagnostics button?  What does it say?  Are you sure the correct ASIO driver selected in that window?

3) Do you use the Asus Control Panel at all?  I've found that sometimes anomalous problems can be resolved by turning off all processing in the control panel by clicking the "HF" or "Hi Fi" DSP mode.  This turns off all of the Asus control panel's proprietary processing.  I usually use the low DPC version of the Unified drivers so I don't even have to run the Asus control panel at all.

If none of those is the culprit, I seem to recall having some kind of playback problem after I re-installed the unified drivers on top of the old Asus drivers.  I had to completely uninstall all audio drivers and use a third party program (driver sweeper) to remove all the registry entries; then I did a clean install of the unified drivers which resolved my playback problem.  See here for more info: http://brainbit.wordpress.com/xonar-driver-cleaning-guide/

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:00 pm »

I'd recommend setting it to 24 bit, but that shouldn't be causing your problem.  

Three suggestions:

1) If you look at "output format" in DSP studio, what are you sample rate settings like?  Are you you up-sampling or down-sampling?  Sometimes, I've had strange results when these settings weren't just right.  This is unlikely to be your problem, but it's worth a look.

2) Also, in the "output mode settings" dialog box under Audio Options, have you tried using the ASIO diagnostics button?  What does it say?  Are you sure the correct ASIO driver selected in that window?

3) Do you use the Asus Control Panel at all?  I've found that sometimes anomalous problems can be resolved by turning off all processing in the control panel by clicking the "HF" or "Hi Fi" DSP mode.  This turns off all of the Asus control panel's proprietary processing.  I usually use the low DPC version of the Unified drivers so I don't even have to run the Asus control panel at all.

If none of those is the culprit, I seem to recall having some kind of playback problem after I re-installed the unified drivers on top of the old Asus drivers.  I had to completely uninstall all audio drivers and use a third party program (driver sweeper) to remove all the registry entries; then I did a clean install of the unified drivers which resolved my playback problem.  See here for more info: http://brainbit.wordpress.com/xonar-driver-cleaning-guide/

Thank you very much for your help. What bothers me is the message that it is feeding the soundcard with 64bit, which I thought was only for internal processing. This is irrespective of what bitdepth I enable in the output DSP menu

1) I have created a separate zone with no DSP going on
2) It does not report anything. It does not even show up, for some strange reason
3) Hmm, I will hesitate a bit before I go down that road but maybe there is an issue there. Why other software does not have that problem, I don't know, though.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:50 am »

Problem solved... and the solution is a bit embarrasing  ::)

Turned out that the ASIO driver for my old card (Audiotrack Prodigy 7.1 Hifi) was still installed and I was using that. Naturally the drivers had no hardware to communicate with!!

I should have paid more attention to your note on selecting the right device!

Thanks very much for your help. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up