INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta problems -- Hold your fire please  (Read 2768 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Beta problems -- Hold your fire please
« on: April 18, 2002, 07:35:05 am »

We've put out several broken builds.  It's all related to skins, and most of the problems are with Win98.  I apologize for this.

We've got the problems fixed on Win95 now and that should mean they are fixed on Win98.  We'll test this to confirm.

I have deleted a couple of comments that were less than kind.

Your patience will be appreciated.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Bigun

Please- Where can I get MJ rev 8.0.248 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 07:45:04 am »

Jim

My post was not "less than kind". I was simply asking for the prior version of Mediajukebox. ( rev 8.0.248 ) I think it silly that y'all( At James River ) can not take a little criticism, especially when its due. Again, I want to ask where I can get the prior revision? Since you took the liberty of deleting the thread nobody could respond to me. By the way I am runninbg windows XP. Y'all are working on windows 98 fixes, but I'm running woindows XP ?

RxMan

• Recent member
RE:Beta problems -- Hold your fire please
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 07:47:01 am »

The latest version does not work for me on Windows ME. Hangs at startup screen.

TURBO

• World Citizen
  • MCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2002, 07:53:13 am »

I know that systems and os are very different. I have XP and I've been updating all your betas and no problem what so ever. I dont do fancy stuff just the basic (play,browse,ripp,tag and encode to mpegplus)and all buids works fine for me. I have a very clean system. I have a bunch of programs for checking my system. I noticed that every update is more stable. I dont get MJ crashes as before, so should be related to the skinning endeed. By the way the dark blue is great!. Love it!. I would preffer all black, like been in the middle of the night in a desert, playing with the the notes of the stars.

JimH

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2002, 08:02:33 am »

Big,
Your post was insulting.  If you want to see criticism, take a look at the bug thread.  We welcome criticism.  We don't appreciate insults.

No old versions will be posted.

If you have XP problems, please report them in the bug thread ("MJ 8.0.252 beta...").
Jim Hillegass

jewcifer

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2002, 08:14:19 am »

Seriously, some of you people need to chill out...it's just software for pete's sake...and if your messin' with beta's, then you have been properly warned about bugs.

**I started with the first MJ8 beta and have upgraded each and every one with very little issues, if any I can even recall. My biggest problem has been the unfortunate color scheme of the first Mega-me skin, but beyond that, nadda...And I have the most stable system (hardware and software) that I have ever had the pleasure of utilizing...through my perusal of the groups and the beta problems, it astounds me how many sound like hardware/software conflicts, especially VIA chipset issues. Check your systems, spare the programmers undo grief...

RockinRog

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2002, 08:34:30 am »

Same here as jewsifer. My XP system sucks big time! (experimental) And a 1.8P4 and I have yet to have minimal problems with MJ. So get a grip and take a Paxil or whatever.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2002, 08:38:23 am »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one championing the "It could be just your system" cause. Next Page

LCtheDJ

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2002, 09:11:43 am »

I was posting the following to another thread, but it got deleted by the time I was ready to post, so I put it here instead:

I think a change in mindset is in order.  These files are not posted for the convenience of the downloaders.  They are beta, test, versions and are there for us, who want to contribute to development, to test so we can find and report bugs.  These are NOT to be considered working programs.  Once a version has been surpassed, there is no reason to go back to it; it just does not contribute to development to go backwards.

Please see the post that starts with "Keeping yourself covered...".  Give your downloads unique names so they won't be overwritten and keep a few on file for the times when you want to revert to an earlier build.

Backup is YOUR responsibility.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2002, 09:59:23 am »

LCtheDJ

Diddo

Also: Just passing the time....

>> Beta problems -- Hold your fire please  

In artillery terms this would be

"Check Fire, Check Fire, Check Fire"

yelled out real loud on the radio
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2002, 10:05:31 am »

Well said, LCtheDJ. There's also something to be said for NOT being the early adopter. If you don't want to take the chance that a build might not run, then wait until some others have already downloaded and installed it and see what kind of problems they're having. If you don't like what you see, don't download it.

And also you have to remember one thing. It's only music. Unless you make your living with MJ (in which case you shouldn't be beta testing anyway) then you should be able to live without it for a few days.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2002, 10:22:48 am »

>> you should be able to live without it for a few days.
Say it's not so Joe

besides i have never had it so bad i could not go back and forth from builds. even from 8 to 7 and back again.

Maybe A test like MCSC to be a beta tester.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2002, 10:46:14 am »

Hi

I would echo Turbo' comments. I have XP Pro, and not once have I had to uninstall a beta!

Having said that, I have skipped a few, as I look at the latest release thread, to see how scary it is first. So I did miss a couple or three unhappy builds.

I have rarely encountered a fatal error with MJ, even though my system is bulging with unsuitable shareware etc.
However, I attribute my system's stability to:

1. Smoking 20 Cigarettes a day
2. A penchant for Jack Daniels

and NOT having the following software installed:

Real Player
AOL
Netscape

Its not that all the above software is crap, its just that they dont seem to integrate with other software very well!

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2002, 10:55:01 am »

>> Its not that all the above software is crap
are you sure?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jewcifer

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2002, 11:25:20 am »

Oh, it's crap allright!

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2002, 12:32:58 pm »

Well....

If pushed to an opinion Next Page
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

ZedX

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2002, 12:36:24 pm »

Bigun, you can go back to 8.0.245. I suggest using the google search engine. Good luck. (MJ=best software ever)

Pete

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2002, 12:55:05 pm »

Erm, I'd like to go back a step or two. What's the procedure, do I need to uninstall first, or can I just blast it over the top?

Easyrider

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2002, 12:58:25 pm »

I get a good laugh everytime someone says it does not work and they are desperatelay looking for an older version.  

Hey! Wake-up its a beta!, get a grip and relax.

I'm no beta guru, but its just common sense to have a backup plan if the new beta version does not work. Its like a Boys Scout moto "Always be prepared"  

I put in my two cents what is wrong and go back to the version that was working and wait for the next beta.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2002, 01:03:02 pm »

Pete, the answer to your dreams will be out soon -- probably tomorrow morning.
Jim Hillegass

ZedX

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2002, 01:42:39 pm »

Pete, you need to uninstall and clean up the registry. Then google "media jukebox 8 beta" and look for daum.net. You should keep a backup from now on - I know I will. Or you could wait until tomorrow for the new beta - I'm sure it will rock your world Next Page

Holden

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2002, 01:43:26 pm »

So good to see what LCtheDJ had to say several posts above. At the top of every announcement of a new beta build is the warning not to download this if you can't handle beta problems. Why some become so irate and critical is beyond understanding.

Keep up the great work JimH and it won't be too long before we have the program most of us never dreamed would be available.

Holden

Holden

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2002, 01:46:48 pm »

So good to see what LCtheDJ had to say several posts above. At the top of every announcement of a new beta build is the warning not to download this if you can't handle beta problems. Why some become so irate and critical is beyond understanding.

Keep up the great work JimH and it won't be too long before we have the program most of us never dreamed would be available.

Holden

maleman

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2002, 03:43:09 pm »

It is a beta program and the warning statement in a highlighted colored font clearly states so. (Jim, any professional should not expect more than that, except maybe a blood signature of consent....)

BTW, I have not experienced a problem that I could not correct, since I save the last 20 build versions or so.
I often work with beta sw with my current employer and if I asked them for a version that was 10 builds ago, all of a sudden I'm Instantly Introduced To Mr. DialTone (caps influced by King...)
So, save each download by adding the minor build release to the end of the filename (MediaJukebox8-248.exe)

With this, hopefully you can learn to resolve / deal your own pbms, if you can wait for bug fixes, since beta means just that.

That's my 2 cents.
Mike

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2002, 03:48:07 pm »

>> Mr. Dial Tone (caps influced by King...)
sometimes I do that, I think, to piss people off

It’s a fetish, I think
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2002, 04:04:42 pm »

As a latecomer to this party, I will comment as if I'm  blissfully ignorant of all that has been said before. As usual.

Here goes:

THIS LATEST BETA STINKS!!!

But guess what. I was warned that it might stink and not to download it because it might stink. The comments indicated that it would probably stink. I am running Windows 98SE and there were problems mentioned specifically about that OS. I downloaded it anyway. It stinks.

JimH, how could you do this to me?
And after I paid $24.98. Da Noive.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2002, 04:07:56 pm »

It's a Fetish.  Don't Ask.  i cant explain it boss
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2002, 04:16:27 pm »

Charlemagne 8

but wine gets better with age

I like it to be at least 8 weeks old, and to at least to have passed by oak on the way to the store.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mavrick

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2002, 05:13:17 pm »

At the risk of being redunant I have the following comments.

I like the idea of being able to try the latest and maybe not so greatest betas especially when those producing them are looking for and willing to consider the comments and suggestions of those trying the software. IMHO this is much better than the alternative where software is developed in a vacuum by those that have no interest in what I might want to see in their product. The whole concept of beta testing is to experiment and see what works, what doesn't and under what circumstances. Not to hand out new 100% working releases everynight.

I like to try every new driver, bios, software etc. I can. Have I been burned in the past? Of course but as many have said if your not prepared for that eventuality then stay with offical releases.

Mavrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up