INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Devices, music formats, synching, confusion  (Read 4476 times)

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
Devices, music formats, synching, confusion
« on: October 31, 2012, 03:18:08 pm »

I should have said OMG...

I collected mp3s for years with Winamp, then went to itunes.  It F'd up my library--tried to do it all automatically.  I got it humming along finally.  Went to Itunes match and it F'd up my library.  Songs stopped short, songs were removed from the albums.  I re-scanned my CDs into AAC compressed files being led to believe that they were better than mp3...then I rescanned things to Apple lossless because I could go to any format from there...

I think I need some experienced coaching here.

I have an ipod classic 80GB and an iphone 4s.

Now I discovered 24bit audio downloads (usually FLAC), USB DACs and nice speakers will transform PC audio.  So now I have a bunch of FLAC files which play well on the desktop, but won't play on an ipod without conversion.

I downloaded MC17 to evaluate.  I like the extensibility but the learning curve has been a bit high.

I have 10K songs.

Questions:
-It looks like itunes is almost required for iphone synch, so is it best to let it do ipod and iphone both?
-Now that I have a bunch of FLAC files and itunes won't downcompress them for ipod...what should i do?  Go to all Apple Lossless?
-or should I convert all my Apple Lossless songs to FLAC, then use DBPoweramp to build an mp3 library?  Sounds like too much.

I'd like to have one player/library manager that can handle all the file formats transparantly and down convert them for ipod/iphone synching.  Is this over the top and too much to ask?

I am confused and tired of scanning my CDs over and over into new formats.  I know that I can convert to lossy formats after they're in a lossless one.  So the question remains (which lossless format buys the most flexibility in your opinion?

Your opinions are welcome and will be appreciated.

Thanks,

BannonB

------
BannonB

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Devices, music formats, synching, confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:40 pm »

There is iTunes Synchronizer.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

My process is this, to convert my FLAC files:

1) create and configure a virtual HandHeld in MC - this is nothing more than a folder on a disk.  See the attached image for settings I use.

2) perform the MC HH sync; this creates your mp3 conversions.  Once done, these are ready to sync with iTunes.

3) have iTunes import the entire virtual HH folder where the mp3's now live.

There are actually a couple of other steps I perform to ensure iTunes has only the files I've syncd, and to ensure iTunes freshen's up its tags after an import.  I use rsync to synchronize the mp3 files from my Windows system (MC's virtual HH folder) to my Mac.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

chuckgt3

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »

can you provide more details on step 1. I have a mix of mp3 and flac and need to convert all to mp3 for use in an ipod in my car.

thanks

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:46 pm »

Just set up a virtual handheld in MC, using the same settings as shown.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

chuckgt3

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:34:31 pm »

my music is one folder on a NAS - can I run the conversion of that folder and sync with files intermixed as FLAC and mp3.

i.e. will the conversion process convert the flac and leave the mp3 alone?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 04:28:52 pm »

As MrC suggested setting up a virtual device is the way to go. You can select supported formats for that device.

I use it for my Zune.

I set up a virtual device:

Options - Handheld
Device Management - Add Device
Device "My Zune"
Device Path - "Folder of your choice" mine is ..users\ken\Zune

Then you can set what files are supported by the device, mine is MP3, and other attributes for the device.

Now when I drag files into the virtual device Mp3 go right in, Flac are converted to Mp3.

I set my Zune software to monitor the above virtual device directory and it imports any new files and will sync to my Zune.

Ken

If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:00 am »

When I enter Options/Handheld and press ok, MC 18.0.136 crashes... I'll send the log.

(sorry, the post was intended for this topic)
Windows 10 Pro x64

audioriver

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:28:00 am »

Trying to send logs but where? Suggested logs(at)jriver will not work, it doesn't seem like a valid address. Should a .com be added to that?

update: it looks like the problem was caused by an album title which contained unconventional characters. ("+", probably)
Windows 10 Pro x64

MikeO

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:04 am »

I have a iPod Classic 160 , I sync then music quite happily from MC18 but I get no images

I was keeping a copy of iTunes running just to sync the iPod but V 11 has totally screwed my library file , and I see non existent duplicates  so curtains iTunes

I understand that Apple store the images in a different way to J River , is there a way I can use the images on J River to get them to show on the iPod

Also , is there any way of pre selecting a set of songs to sync onto the iPod , I assume I can set up a PlayList and sync that specifically , is that the case ?

If not its boring image less albums to the end of time  ?

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:24 pm »

I have MC17 (17.0.189 to be precise) and an iPod Classic (160Gb - the 2009 release) and the combination works fine.  In fact, it works better than fine, it's fluffing ace; I can't envisage using any other software in inconjunction. 

Cover art renders perfectly.  I have had issues in the past and I'm sure that's been when iTunes has corrupted the iPod database.  I NEVER run iTunes when the iPod is docked (I have the relevant service disabled that prevents iTunes launching when the iPod is connected to the PC); the times when I have done it, I've had to re-initialise the iPod and transfer my music back across; at a 160Gb, that's a process I want to avoid  :).  This could be the problem you have (I have assumed you have got relevant option ticked in the handheld dialogue - "Enable album artwork if possible"?).

Also , is there any way of pre selecting a set of songs to sync onto the iPod , I assume I can set up a PlayList and sync that specifically , is that the case ?

The approach I've taken is to create a custom library field called '::iPod Include?' - this is a list with one acceptable value - 'Yes' i.e. this is either populated or not (the tag is prefixed with '::' to force it to the top of the tags window so I can easily locate it). 

I simply then decide which albums/tracks/podcasts etc. I want to have on my iPod and update the tag to a value of 'Yes'.  I then have a smartlist (called iPod_Sync or similar) which is simply a rule that says ['::iPod Include?' = 'Yes'] i.e. this brings back all files that I have determined that I want on my iPod; I use this to sync with the iPod.

This gives some great flexibility i.e. you can create a view scheme that matches this rule so you can see all albums etc. that are (or going to be) on your iPod.  Equally, you can create a view that shows the opposite; that is, all files that are not on the iPod.  I have a medium-large music collection - circa 35,000 files and a full 160Gb iPod.  With this approach I can simply review iPod content and, with a simple switching of a tag, swap albums in and out of the sync list.

Furthermore, I can use this tag to build some semi-intelligent smartlists off the back of this approach.  For example, for the car, I have a smartlist with all 4 and 5 star-rated tracks, with duration less than 4 mins (my own personal radio station  :)) - I include the rule above as part of the smartlist so I never have to worry about including/removing tracks; this is handled automatically every time I sync.

This functionality is what makes MC key for me.  I've seen how iTunes handles management and sync'ing and there's not a chance that I could use it without severe frustration.  In fact, the only reason I have iTunes is for my iPhone - and that only gets sync'd when there's a new iOS version.

Let me know if any of the above helps or if you want more details etc.  Happy to post some screenshots etc. if needed.

MikeO

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:36:53 pm »

The Custom Library field is perfect , thanks for that idea , I am fairly new to JRiver so I hadn't realised you could do that

I need to check that enable art work check box next time I sync , I'll let you know

Cheers

MIke

MikeO

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:23 pm »

Hi

I synced my iPod last night and checked settings , the Enable Artwork check box is checked , but still I get no artwork on the iPod despite the covers being shown in MC

I am using MC 18.0.106 , is this making a difference.

I have uninstalled all Apple and related software so that can't be interfering

Do you have any other ideas ?

Thanks Again for the Help

Mike

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:32 am »

I suspect that if iTunes has interferred (i.e. corrupted) the iPod database in the past, you may need to re-initialise the iPod and reload your music to get cover art to work.  I'm reasonably sure that when I've had album art issues in the past, that's been the only cure to get it fixed.  Really frustrating if your iPod is full  :-\

Before that, it's worth checking all common issues have been covered off by testing against a single album.  I'm at work at the moment and don't have access to MC so I can't recall the rules for transferring cover art to handhelds but I have my cover art embedded in my music files.  The cover art is also stored in each folder through the 'folder.jpg' approach given in MC options.  I also limit my cover art size to 800x800 (for compatibilty with my streaming system) - I don't think MC has a prohibitive cover art size restriction but, for testing, I would go with a smallish file to see.

I am using MC 18.0.106 , is this making a difference.

Possibly.  That said, JRiver have not supported iPod functionality for a while so I can't see why anything might have changed in the meantime.  I can check over the weekend if needs be (I have an old classic that I could run a trial version of MC18 against).
Pages: [1]   Go Up