INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win7 + MC18 + UAC?  (Read 3032 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Win7 + MC18 + UAC?
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »

I've recently installed MC18 on both my HTPC/Server machine and my workstation-client machine. MC18 on the client is working great, including when connecting to the server. The client user account is an admin account.

MC18 on the HTPC is almost unusable because of UAC prompts of various forms though. This machine's main account is a non-admin account though. I can't figure out how to get MC18 to run without bombarding me with Windows UAC prompts and MC error messages about how I don't have sufficient rights to perform actions like watching TV or during a movie. See MC message after attempting to watch TV here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtjteodfxmn6c58/2012-11-06%2017.32.14.jpg  I've tried running the program as administrator and a few other "common sense" actions, but nothing seems to be working for me.

What has changed so drastically to cause all this, and how can I avoid all these prompts (apart from making the HTPC account an admin)?

Thanks for any tips,
Jonathan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Win7 + MC18 + UAC?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:40 pm »

Make sure you don't have MC17 installed or running in any account (which could switch registration of some shared components), then reinstall MC18.

Since the dawn of UAC, most accounts run as user and can elevate to admin when necessary.  If you use an account that can't elevate, you might have troubles.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:10:18 pm »

Try reinstalling as admin.

audunth

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »

Just turn off UAC alltogether. If you have a good security package installed and you're just a little bit smart about opening unknown email attachments or facebook links, you don't need it. We did fine in XP and earlier versions of Windows without it. It's just another Windows annoyance.

Control Panel -> Action Center -> Change User Account Control settings

You need admin rights to change it.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »

Just to be clear, JRiver does not recommend or require disabling UAC.

We've developed with UAC enabled since Vista, and do basically all our testing under UAC.

It's fine if you run choose to run without it, but I don't want to give the impression this is necessary.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. These will give me some direction now.

Make sure you don't have MC17 installed or running in any account (which could switch registration of some shared components), then reinstall MC18.
I'm guessing this is the main culprit. I have MC17 still installed but not running and the two aren't sharing a library. I thought I'd read that'd be sufficient, but I suppose that might only be true on account with admin rights.

-Jon

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:54 am »

Okay, I've uninstalled MC17 and I logged into my Admin account to update to MC18 build 68. This alleviated any of the UAC issues I was getting during playback or when starting the program up.

I am still left with a difficulty when trying to update the program now. I get an MC error that the update could not be installed because my account does not have sufficient privileges. The program then quits and next time I open it I have the option to skip the update or to attempt it again. If I attempt it again by running MC18 as administrator I'm presented with the same error; I have to actually log out of my normal user account and log into the Admin account in order to install an update.

What I expect to happen here is that when MC tries to update I get a Windows UAC prompt asking me if it's okay for MC to install the update. This is what used to happen in MC17. Is it possible to bring this behavior back?

-Jon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:44:13 am »

I don't know of any changes that could affect this.  Try creating another user account on Windows, just to test.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:15:48 am »

What I expect to happen here is that when MC tries to update I get a Windows UAC prompt asking me if it's okay for MC to install the update. This is what used to happen in MC17. Is it possible to bring this behavior back?

It sounds to me like you're using an account that _never_ has rights to install even after UAC elevation, and so updates will be impossible.

Since the point of a low-privilege account is to prevent changes, I'd say you're getting what you asked for.

If you want the account to be able to make changes (install a machine-wide update), make it a regular account that has rights after UAC elevation.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:11 am »

It sounds to me like you're using an account that _never_ has rights to install even after UAC elevation, and so updates will be impossible.
Since the point of a low-privilege account is to prevent changes, I'd say you're getting what you asked for.
If you want the account to be able to make changes (install a machine-wide update), make it a regular account that has rights after UAC elevation.
The thing that's strange to me if this is the case though is that I was able to enter the Admin account password to allow necessary privileges on-demand in the past (as with MC17) to install other programs or perform other actions such as copying & pasting files in protected directories. I've only begun using Win7 this year (straight from XP), so I'm certainly no expert with regards to UAC. The only obvious variable to me though is moving from MC17 to 18.

I did not re-install MC18 from scratch from the Admin account as Jim originally suggested (I just installed the update), so I will give that a go to see if anything changes. I'll look into the specifics of the normal user account to verify there isn't anything overly protective applied to it.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up