INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not possible to forward/rewind video using Library Server?  (Read 1034 times)

Sesam

• World Citizen
Not possible to forward/rewind video using Library Server?
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:57 pm »

Is this a limitation in the software, or am I doing something wrong?.

• Enabled Media Network on both computers
  • Connected the client computer to the library server
  • I can successfully play/rewind/forward audio on the client

But no matter what I can't rewind/forward in a video (tried with .mpg, .vob and even with a DVD iso), the progress bar is disabled, and it appears only possible to skip to the next video.  

This using version 18.0.73

Edit: Now I believe this is actually a bug, I found someone else complaining about this in the "JRiver Media Center 18.0.68 -- Available Here" release note thread.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Not possible to forward/rewind video using Library Server?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »

Video playback is limited in some ways on a client.

You might consider UNC paths or a mapped network drive so the client can access the content directly when possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:35 am »

I had exactly the same problem when I started using MC a few weeks ago. The reason for this behaviour is that the server is streaming the content to the clients rather than the clients playing back the files as local content.

So, on the server, the media import folders are probably setup as local folders.

For example:

E:\Movies
E:\TVShows
E:\Music

What you want to do is share these folders on the server and then change the media import folders in MC options to full network UNC paths.

For example:

\\MediaServer\Movies
\\MediaServer\TVShows
\\MediaServer\Music

Then, on the client, goto 'Options --> Media Network --> Client Options' and tick the box that says "Play local file if one that matches library server file is found".
Now, because the client can see the files directly over the network it will treat them as local files and play them back as such.
Unfortunately, this will mean you having to re-import all your files but I do think this is the best way to go.

There is one other option that will not require re-importing as Matt said. That is to share the media folders on the server and then map these network shares on the client as a mapped drive. However, the mapped drive path on the client will have to match exactly the same path on the server.
So, for example, if the local path to a media file on the server is 'E:\Movies\Inception\Inception.avi' then the path on the client via the mapped drive would have to be exactly the same 'E:\Movies\Inception\Inception.avi'.

I personally havn't tried doing it this way because when I came across the problems you outlined I was still in the process of setting the system up so it was easy to change it and re-import. However, I would still say that, if you can, then the first option is the better way to go.

Just one other thing, in both examples make sure that the client machine has sufficient access privileges to the shared media folders on the server. When I first set this up the clients would show the thumbnails and details for the movies but would not play them. This was because I had not given the clients access rights to the server media folders. Once I had done that though everything plays back on all clients as though they were local files with normal rewind/forward etc.

I hope this helps

Russell

Sesam

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 05:01:39 am »

Yay I just tried setting up Media Center exactly like Russell explained and it works flawlessly! Thanks a lot for the help you two :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up