INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain Question  (Read 1677 times)

Ton-Up

Replay Gain Question
« on: April 16, 2002, 12:22:31 pm »

If I have analysed a batch of tracks using replay gain in properties do I need to have the replay gain box ticked in the DSP studio? I've been trying to work out how the two work together or not as the case may be.
Thanks.

tdillard

RE:Replay Gain Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 12:27:29 pm »

Yes,
    You need to have it checked so that it will work.

not|PLS|me

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 02:11:03 pm »

Does JRiver plan on adding support for reading the ReplayGain info from the standard OGG and MP  tags? (ie. RG_RADIO, RG_AUDIOPHILE, RG_PEAK)

JohnH

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 12:17:17 pm »

Is there any place one could find a good tutorial on using replay gain?
John H<br>Just my $0.02

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 01:37:48 pm »

Concerning replay gain
It is the same that normalize? Or do you keep the song in his "original" form and MJ acts as a play filter?
The problem with normalize is that you cannot get the song as it was if you want to burn a cd with only one album on it
And normalize metal songs is not easy.Most of the time i do not get good result

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2002, 03:26:10 am »

To my understanding 'normalizing' will bring up the peak values up to your settings (e.g. 90%). If you using plain noise, the entire .wav will be 90% of it's maximum.

RPG uses a special algorithm to compute the average volume of your song. It leaves enough headroom for special effects (usually 20db) you need in classics etc. This is done by adding the computed db-value to your preamp settings. It will not effect the sound file (except the value is stored in it’s header).
Udo

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 03:53:51 am »

Thank you for your answer.But i am not sure to understand
-If i normalize my mp3 with a program ,i change for ever the sound of the mp3
     I am rigth?

-if i use replay gain ,i will not change the sound of the file?
          I am right?

-It is only that MJ will play it acting like a filter according to the header in the tag?
          I am right?

-If yes,can i put the settings on or out?

I play a mix of songs and i want the "normalize" effect
I play a full album on mp3,and i want to hear it as the original cd is

Thank you -have a nice sunday

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 04:57:48 am »

I try to explain it a little.

The normalizing process of an mp3 file means: decompress it as .wav, find the maximum value in this file, calculate a normalization factor and multiply all values by this factor, then recompress it to mp3 again. If you follow up this process, you’ll find, there is no way back to the original file.

Using replay gain means: you analyze a file not only for the peak value, you using a 'volume over time function' to compute the average volume (that’s what your ears will adapt to). Since the output level is only a math function, you can manipulate it very easy (like you do be sliding the volume gain). You need to store only this one value with your file header. You don’t change the sound of the file. During playback (replay) it is fed into the bitstream by increasing or decreasing the volume by this value. A similar effect would be sliding the volume control by exact the same value up or down.

There is a standard about replay gain, and I hope, more and more manufacturer will fulfill this standard sooner or later.

You can put replay gain in and out. This should answer your next question: if it’s off, you hear the original cd, if it’s on you have the equalize effect (I  hate to say normalize, because its something else)

Udo
Udo

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 05:05:51 am »

AFAIK:

MJ8 stores the RPG values in the database, it does not change the files at all. Whenever you play files with RPG enabled in the DSP, MJ8 simply uses these values to set the required gain.

Just about every popular lossy codec also has a separate RPG utility. These utilities store the RPG value in the id3 tag. So, whether you use these utilities, combined with a RPG-aware player or simply use MJ8, you can always choose to ignore the RPG values and get the original sound back. The actual audio data in the file is not affected.

An important note about full albums: MJ8 only uses RADIO gain, there is also a thing called AUDIOPHILE gain:
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/replaygain/radio.html

Audiophile gain is very useful when you listen to a full album, and you want the dynamics of the album to stay intact (e.g. the quiet tracks should still sound quieter, even if RPG is applied). A while back, I suggested on this board that audiophile gain should also be implemented in MJ8, but apparently the J River folks don't consider it to be important enough.

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 05:39:56 am »

Thank you,now i really understand!
In my opinion Replay Gain is much better than normalize,cause you still keep the original file
Can you give hudge tasks to MJ-few thousand mp3 to "replay gain' at once?
Or better to do it in few times smaller numbers?

nila

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2002, 05:53:32 am »

Dan - add it as a feature u'd like to see in version 9. Next Page

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2002, 07:54:52 am »

UdoS and Poison Dan,

Would you guys mind if I included what you guys said here in the help file?  There is very little about replay gain in it now because I wasn't so familiar with this topic.

Lise
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2002, 07:58:56 am »

Never mind, put in there what you like

Udo
Udo

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2002, 09:18:37 am »

Nila - I've added it to your thread about v9.

lise - I wouldn't mind at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up