INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Functions for dealing with Ebooks - simple enhancement request  (Read 1643 times)

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
Functions for dealing with Ebooks - simple enhancement request
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:02:32 am »

Very little change would make MC18 much better for ebooks and capturing cover art for books.  All it would need is the option you get in the drop down when you select a jpg to use that as cover art when google images is used as a link for example.  That option appears for music and video but is not available for data e.g. epub.  If you added in links - a filter that could say this dropdown option is available when filetype is whatever you want - just like all the filters in links work for saying where the link appears or make it always available.  Without that it is a 3 stage process of dowlnloaded the jpg - and selecting it as cover art MC 18 much much slower. I have 4000 ebooks!  Pretty Please - must be very easy to do.  M in MC stands for media and ebook libraries are very much media.

BTW when I use other links such as book cover libraries e.g openlibrary the menu drop down doesn't appear at all when I select a book cover so then you have to use copy and paste.  What triggers that drop down appearing

Peter Rowan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Functions for dealing with Ebooks - simple enhancement request
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:26 am »

You're probably right that this would be a simple change.  We'll take a look at doing it.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:01 am »

+1

Ancient_Audiophile

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:13:37 pm »

Sorry for coming into the conversation in the middle, but... ebooks ?   I thought MC only supported audio, images and video ?  Epub was mentioned - can MC emulate a Nook ?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »

Sorry for coming into the conversation in the middle, but... ebooks ?   I thought MC only supported audio, images and video ?

...and the rest aka documents (data), under options
MT5FR

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:52:49 pm »

From doing some searches, it appears the demand for ebook support is still relatively small.... however this would be a phenomenal addition to MC. As there is no tagging support for ebooks in MC, I currently use Calibre... and I am frustrated every single time at how slow it is to do anything. After using MJ/MC since version 7, I have become accustomed to a much better experience. I recommend Calibre to a lot of people moving into the world of ebooks... but I would rather recommend MC! Please consider adding full support in the near-ish future.... ebooks aren't going away anytime soon.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:29:23 am »

MC is very good with ebooks but there is no documentation to help. You have to add any types you want in to the data section in the default.XML file in default resources and then create a custom resources directory and put that XML in that directory and all your mobis, lits, pdfs, docs and epubs etc can come into MC and if you have readers then click on the entry and up they come.  5 mins work etc.  To bring them in to the library you just use explorer and click on Import into library. Once into MC you can sync them with your handheld etc.  I have far too many books for ibooks (it dies when there are too many) so I keep the superset in MC and just keep in itunes what I need with MC the master.  Perhaps I should write a wiki section.  I think you will find more and more people wanting ebook functions as their libraries get larger.  All the tags work on import.   I copy author to album and get an author - book view etc.  I also use calibre but do all tagging in MC. Some of the things I need I have to use Regex for like sorting authors to last name, first name that calibre provides built in but MC could just as easily provide some sample regexes to do just this or I can provide. 

Peter Rowan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:07 am »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Books

If you would be kind enough to write instructions, I'll post them there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up