INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Guy - Setting Up Media Types & File Locations Question - Please  (Read 928 times)

bootis

I am new here and in "Demo Mode" for now. This is a great and powerful program. I have been busy reading the FAQ's and the getting started threads to get myself acclimated bu do not readily see an answer/suggestion to the following setup questions that I have.

I am using a newly built machine that will become my dedicated Home Media PC running Win 8 on a SSD (C:\) Drive where all my programs are stored. I will be using an internal (1TB) WD Caviar Drive (D:\) to store all my data.

Initially I will be ripping Cd's to FLAC and also importing some WAV CD Files that were previously done via Windows Media Player 11.

Questions: When using MC what is the best way to set up my Default File Locations? I see that this is done from Tools\Options\File Location.

What do I actually select to redirect all my data from C:\ to make the D:\ my new intended default location?

Do I have to select all of these location/data type options here individually, or is there one global type command option that will cover all data types?

Essentially I just want to use all the MC data, tagging, library defaults, etc., but redirected to my D:\Drive location.

Thanks for your replies and help!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Guy - Setting Up Media Types & File Locations Question - Please
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:21 am »

There's only a couple of things you should need.
1. Set the file location for ripped media. When that is done, it should store the data where you want it. It's normal and a good practice to store it as Artist\Album.
2. To change location of you media you only have to use the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" tool. It's under right click and Library Tools. Select a few files first and use this tool. Make sure you select the "Update database to point to new location" option from the drop down list. That enables you to update the location of the files, without actually moving them. Prior to this, you should move the files from C: to D:
Then you use the "Find & Replace" option. Find C:\ and Replace: D:\ as one example. Check the Preview window to make sure it's destination is correct.

It would also be good to check the path for the Cover art. You should probably use the D drive for that as well. I would recommend creating one folder for Music, Video, Images, and then sub directories for media sub types. That way you have to power to create a good set of automatic import rules later on.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

bootis

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated!!

I will do what you suggest here. I will create a My Media Folder on D:\ then relevent sub-folders.

I am starting from scratch so, I have nothing YET on the new drive to move. My current WAV files are resident on another external drive. I am actually thinking of ripping those Cd's over again vs. importing what I have. I understand the WAV Files may have import/export tagging issues??

I am going to rip a few Cd's to test this all out so I know (hopefully) what I am doing and that what I am doing is correct and makes sense for my needs.

Do most use artist/album/genre etc.?

Thanks!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »

I don't think there's any need to re-import CD's. Just import those you already have. But move them to your D drive first, in the correct folder. That way you don't have to update the library to point to the new locations. I THINK most people rip their music into a Artist and album directory structure. But I might be wrong.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up