INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes match alternatives  (Read 6679 times)

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
iTunes match alternatives
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:23:39 am »

Dear MC users, I'm trying to find an affordable (100€/y) to backup, stream (and share) my music collection.
I have 30.000+ songs (180GB) in my library.
I would like to be able to easily search and stream music from a web browser and from my cellphone (currently an iThing)
Optionnaly I would love to be able to share a song, an album or a folder with a friend.

Services I found so far (feel free to correct error and complete with missing information):
Music specialized
  • iTunes Match - 25€ - 25.000 songs
not enough songs, limited to iOS, poor iphone implementation (laggy)
  • Google Music (now with scan and match) - free - 20.000 songs
not enough songs, sharing is limited
  • Amazon Cloud music player - 25€ - unlimited songs
no sharing

Any kind of file backup
  • dropbox, box.net, etc
too expensive for 180GB
  • livedrive - free backup, cheap (£39) "drive"
ok, but average iphone App, bad reputation
  • carbonite - 45€ - unlimited
not tested
  • skydrive - ~65€ for 180GB
poor iphone app, no streaming from web?!
  • home server
?

One problem I have with music only plans it the lack of "sync" features. I want my online backup to be updated when I locally fix some incorrect tags or wrong cover art.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: iTunes match alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:02:59 am »

Dear MC users, I'm trying to find an affordable (100€/y) to backup, stream (and share) my music collection.
I have 30.000+ songs (180GB) in my library.
I would like to be able to easily search and stream music from a web browser and from my cellphone (currently an iThing)
Optionnaly I would love to be able to share a song, an album or a folder with a friend.

Services I found so far (feel free to correct error and complete with missing information):
Music specialized
  • iTunes Match - 25€ - 25.000 songs
not enough songs, limited to iOS, poor iphone implementation (laggy)
  • Google Music (now with scan and match) - free - 20.000 songs
not enough songs, sharing is limited
  • Amazon Cloud music player - 25€ - unlimited songs
no sharing

Any kind of file backup
  • dropbox, box.net, etc
too expensive for 180GB
  • livedrive - free backup, cheap (£39) "drive"
average iphone App, bad reputation
  • carbonite - 45€ - unlimited
not tested
  • skydrive - ~65€ for 180GB
poor iphone app, no streaming from web?!
  • home server
?

One problem I have with music only plans it the lack of "sync" features. I want my online backup to be updated when I locally fix some incorrect tags or wrong cover art.

You can setup MC as a library server and set it up to connect from it from the internet. YOu'd need to forward a port on your router (default is 52199). With JRemote (iphone/ipad app) you can access and play all your music from your own library server. You can share, but it is rather limited - its either free for all (no authentication) or authenticated and access to everything including changing/deleting tags/ratings etc.

If I were you I would look for cheap online storage that fits your backup needs, not your online play/stream needs. From there you can share a file or folder.

With Allway Sync you can backup (keep in sync) to online storage plans. The program can be tried for free so you can see and test with which online storage it works properly. I know it works fine with Skydrive and Dropbox.

But check out the EULA's of the online storage supplier you plan on using and search for (bad) user experiences. Some of them ban users without notification if they believe (that means, without proof) and sometimes unbanning and reactivating your account can takes weeks or even months (I speak from experience). They don't always allow all files types to be stored either (you can upload, buts its against their policy). As far as I'm aware none of them allow you to encrypt your data.

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:09:23 am »

Ok so you suggest:
 - music is on a cheap host
 - my computer need to run 24/7 in order to serve music?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 06:10:50 am »

It's an idea you could consider, yes. The steaming from MC is relatively easy to test too.

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:15:20 am »

I don't feel like paying for online storage and still having to let my computer run 24/7.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 06:22:49 am »

Correct me if Im wrong but I think you're looking at online storage because you could combine the streaming/sharing option with backup.

If you use MC to stream, you could consider local backups and not use online storage at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:50:18 am »

- my computer need to run 24/7 in order to serve music?
You can set your PC to sleep automatically, then use Wake on Lan to wake it when you want to play.  See the WOL topic on the wiki.

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:54:53 am »

Unfortunately my internet access provider's box does not support WOL. Something to do with ARP table frequently erased.

Sergill

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:34 am »

I think you must change your internet provider and choose another provider that will support WOL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up