INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to register with license crashing in Help  (Read 3035 times)

Birdie

Unable to register with license crashing in Help
« on: April 11, 2002, 01:51:50 pm »

I downloaded 8.0.247 today and following that bought it. After doubleclicking on "install license" I got a message that the license was invalid.Tried to restore it from the floppy where i saved it: same result. Tried to restore it from the link in the email i received with the suplied license id, message: "license restored". Result : after going to Help in MJ, MJ crashes."Unvalid operation, Media Jukebox will be closed". (I don't know if this is the right translation in english, because i am dutch and have a dutch Windows version, but I assume you know what i mean}.Closing MJ and opening it again or closing Windows and start again does not help.
Besides that I understand that I now have only 2 or 3 restores left this year !( As the purchase conformation says the restores are limited to 5 per year).
I must say that i am not very pleased now.
What to do ?

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Unable to register with license |PLS| crashing in Help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 02:00:57 pm »

restores are limited to 5 per year?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 02:59:44 pm »

It is stable. I use it every day without a problem.

It's not surprising, though, that a brand new buy method may not be bug free yet.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 03:04:50 pm »

>> It's not surprising, though, that a brand new buy method may not be bug free yet.
just thinking the same thing.

maybe his mom did not let him hold the wood spoon when she made pudding.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Birdie

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 03:25:28 pm »

>>restores are limited to 5 per year?
In the confirmation (Purchase complete) they say : Licenses restores are limited to 5 per year.
Or do they mean that you can get another license, e.g. in case of loss, for a max of 5 per year ?
I hope so.

Birdie

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2002, 04:54:25 pm »

In the meantime I uninstalled MJ and installed it again.
As soon as I choose settings>help to restore license from the  license I saved on a floppy, MJ crashes again.
Also MJ does not detect a cd-rw device on my system.In the previous MJ 7 it did and everything worked.
Seems I have to pay again for a license ?!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2002, 04:58:28 pm »

Birdie

Maybe this is something that J river can work on (it's night time right now), maybe if you post all the info you can with error messages, and system and os info they maybe able to track down the problem your having.

it may take a few builds, sorry i can't offer any help here
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2002, 05:06:14 pm »

Birdie,
Don't worry.  It will work.

What is the name of the license?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gvag

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2002, 05:18:14 pm »

Me too! Invalid License message.

I didn't want to try restoring from the web and use up one of my 5/year license restores.  And after reading Birdie's posts I really don't want try the web solution.

Wither now?  I'm still in 30 day trial mode should I just wait for a fix?

Media Jukebox  8.0.247

CPU: Intel Pentium III 1000 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 185 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Thanks

Birdie

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2002, 04:45:39 am »

Murhpy's law: My internet connection (cable) is shutdown, due to a disturbance. I am waiting for a repair. As soon as i am connected again I come back to the subject. ( Now on another computer)
>>> What is the name of the license?
Do you mean on which name it was supplied ? I assume you are not asking for the ID on the license.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 05:03:46 am »

He's asking about the actual filename of the license.

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2002, 05:14:31 am »

The message about 5 per year applies to restoring from the Internet, in case you lose your "mjr" license registration file. You can restore from the "mjr" file as many times as you want within the 14 day time period alloted.
I've seen a problem on one system here when clicking on the "Install license" link on the web page. We'll get that fixed. I didn't have a problem though, if I right-clicked on the link and did a "save as" to an mjr file on disk. Then you go into MJ and select "Restore license" from the help menu and select "Restore from file", then select the mjr file.

mavrick

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2002, 06:21:14 am »

>The message about 5 per year applies to restoring from the Internet, in case you lose your "mjr" license registration file. You can restore from the "mjr" file as many times as you want within the 14 day time period alloted.

Are you saying that the new .mjr license files are only good for 14 days? The one must download a new one if a reinstall is needed after 14 days even tho a backup was made of the license?

I am concerned because there have been times that I have for one reason or another found myself reinstalling windows on a monthly basis.

How does this affect those of us with .rrg licenses?

Birdie

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2002, 07:07:20 am »

>>Birdie,
Don't worry. It will work.
What is the name of the license?

The file consists of a lot of numbers and letters and it ends with .mjr. I saved it on a floppy and on my hard disk.
In the meantime I restored my backupped system, after formatting, downloaded and installed MJ 8 again and anyway my cd writer is detected and I can go to Help>Restore license without problems again.
But restoring the license, from the floppy or the file on my harddisk, does not work.Everytime I try, I get the message "Error installing MJ license,Invalid License"
Because I already tried to restore it from the weblink once, I prefer to not doing it again,to save my remaining 3or4 restores.

JimH

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2002, 07:15:11 am »

If you can be patient, we will get this sorted out.  This is a big change for us and it should solve a number of problems that people have had in the past.  Firewalls, for example.  But it has also created some new problems.  We will get these solved in the next few days.

We will write up a complete description today and post it, but the quick description is this:

When you use the new method to buy, you are taken to a web page on our server.  Here you enter your details and when the card is approved, a temporary license is generated.  You can copy and paste this license into MJ.  It is also emailed to you.

When MJ sees this temporary license, it acquires the permanent one from our server.  This license can be backed up and restored as with the previous generation of licenses in earlier builds of 8.0 and in version 7,6, etc.

rrg files from 7 and 8 are also honored by 8.0.

Here's more info from the current e-mail message that accompanies the license:

You may install the license you downloaded for a limited period. If
this period expires, you may get another license without charge from
https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi using the license ID above.
If you lose your license for any reason, you can get a replacement from
the same site, again using the license ID above. The number of
replacements is limited, so don't give your license or license ID
to your friends.

If you lose both your license and your license ID (please print out
this page now), you can get a copy of all license IDs you have purchased
from https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi as well. This requires
knowing the email address you used to purchase the license.

If you lose both your license and your license ID, and you no longer
have access to the email address you used for purchase, you can still
get the license IDs at https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi.
You must enter your password from the purchase, your old email address,
and the email address you want the IDs sent to.

If you lose your license, your license ID, and your password, then
we cannot help you.
Jim Hillegass

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2002, 07:40:33 am »

Turns out there's a bug in some old versions of Internet Explorer (like the original one that came with win98) that causes the license file to be corrupted upon download. We are making changes to work around this bug. Something should be posted later today that will allow you to do a successful restore from the Internet of your license file ("mjr").

Sorry about the inconvenience.
- John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

gateley

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2002, 07:46:14 am »

>Are you saying that the new .mjr license files are only good for 14 days? The one must download a new one if a reinstall is needed after 14 days even tho a backup was made of the license?

This is correct. We are trying to prevent a person buying a license and giving it to the world.

>I am concerned because there have been times that I have for one reason or another found myself reinstalling windows on a monthly basis.

What numbers do you think are reasonable?

>How does this affect those of us with .rrg licenses?

Not at all. The rrg security is based on different principles.

j

dkistner

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2002, 07:56:49 am »

Glad I checked here first. I'm having the same problem with the license I just bought.

But even before this, MJ 8 (which LOOKS great, folks!) was doing very weird things and I thought it would be wise to unstall and do a clean install. But I've accepted the online updates since downloading the beta and can't seem to find where to download the latest 8 build. Everything's still saying 7.2.

Can somebody please post the download link for the latest&greatest 8? And I'll wait patiently for the information Profile promised to post soon to resolve the invalid license issue.

Diane

JimH

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2002, 10:09:15 am »

See the thread here on MJ 8.0.xxx Beta available.
Jim Hillegass

mavrick

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2002, 10:29:00 am »

I fully understand and support your need to protect against sharing of licenses. I don't really have a problem with the 14 day/5 time limits as long as there is a reasonable way to request additional restores if needed. Possibly by providing an original order number or ID of some sort that was part of the original email.

I am probably worrying about a situation that will never occur but I had to ask the question now that I am addicted to MJ.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2002, 10:41:16 am »

>> long as there is a reasonable way to request additional restores if needed.
well i think 5 may is good number for restores

and it is better now than it was if you lost your RRG file.

maybe after 5 restores then there should be a $10.00 fee charged
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JasonJoel

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2002, 11:18:56 am »

>Are you saying that the new .mjr license files are only good for 14 days? The one must download a new >one if a reinstall is needed after 14 days even tho a backup was made of the license?
>>This is correct. We are trying to prevent a person buying a license and giving it to the world.

Ugh. I don't like the sounds of this at all.

I guess after my rrg file can't be used anymore, I will be switching programs. I will not use software that can lock me out even though I LEGALLY PAID for its use. I wouldn't be using WinXP for that same reason, except that I'm covered under volume licensing so don't have to use activation.

I understand a company's need to protect itself from software pirating, but not at the expense of inconveniencing its paying customers.

>and it is better now than it was if you lost your RRG file.

And is it the new system REALLY better than the rrg file loss issue? That is how software has been since day 1. If you lose the physical media, CD/disk/etc, you no longer have the program. Once you copy the existing reg file to a floppy/zip/whatever it is essentially part of the physical media. No different than any other software you buy for the last 20 years.

Just my $0.02. I don't expect people to agree with me. Just disappointed that this is the direction JRiver is going.

Jason Bottjen

JimH

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2002, 12:08:36 pm »

Jason,
If you could be patient with what we're doing it would help a lot.  We have listened hard to what people have said in the past and we think we have built something better.  It still has some unfinished bits and it needs better documentation.

If, after finishing, most people agree that the old system was better, we'll go back, but please give us a chance.

We think five restores a year is a reasonable number.  Remember that you could use this to put it on five different machines, so we're giving up something there.

Rereading your message now, it looks like you haven't even used the new system.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

JasonJoel

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2002, 12:40:39 pm »

Jim, quite honestly I WILL give the new system a chance when it gets to the point it applies to me. The software is good enough, and there is no equivalent replacement, that I will give it a chance. You are also correct that since I have a rrg file I have not used the new system.

I understand that my case is not representative of the 'average user'. Since I beta test a lot of different software and manage/test deployment scenarios for my organization and customers I have need to reinstall a LOT. Much more than 5 times per year. More like once a week on average.

So for me, any number of 'finite installs in X period of time' will not work. Unless of course it was such an obscenely large number that it wouldn't be of any use as copy protection to begin with. But I'm sure that will not sway anyones plans, as I am not the 'target customer'.

There is a fundamental problem with only 'allowing' a certain number of installs/period of time; PERIOD. I have no real issue with requiring internet registration per se (given a nominal timeout period in case connecting to the central server is not possible/convenient at that time). I have a problem with limited install numbers. With internet registration, you could then easily monitor for 'abusing' re-registering and disable that install code. By abusive, I mean dozens/hundreds/thousands within a day or few days (exactly what happens when a registration number gets passed to the warez kiddies). You have to look for the trends in the registration numbers. I think that is a MUCH more livable solution for all involved.

I hope that clarifies what I'm saying.

Jason Bottjen

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2002, 12:57:11 pm »

Sounds like you should invest in Ghost or something if you're resetting your system up once a week. Then you could restore it to a fully registered MJ and not have to worry about your licenses.

(ignore my other post on this in the other thread - I hadn't read this yet in regards to your typical PC usage habits)

gvag

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2002, 01:05:19 pm »

JimH -

I just bought MJ 8.0.247 on your recommendation in another post and as I posted earlier to this thread I have the same problem as Birdi.  I'm waiting for the fix as you suggested and this is just an attempt to clarify the new licensing process.

When I bought MJ I was given the option of saving to my HD which I did.  Here's the smudged name of the file I received:
    "C****-SZKZ9-W4TU2-*****-LZBV5-*****.mjr"
I take it this is not the actual license but a good for 14 day link that I can invoke from within MJ.

Now when I click on the link from within MJ "Help/Restore License/From mjr file" and point to the above file MJ is supposed to connect to your site, submit the file and if it is within the 14 day period MJ updates some internal setting that says it is a licensed version.

If I crash and burn or wish to install MJ on another computer after the new install I have to select "Help/Restore/From Internet" at which point MJ will log onto your site and I will enter my personal info get a new mjr file which will decrement my restore counter.  

If I use up my five restores within a one year period I can still contact you and try to get an extension on the basis of unforseen circumstances like I've been beta testing MJ9 and this was the sixth time I had to rebuild my system

Love MJ8. It totally satisfies my anal/retentive need to fiddle endlessly and organize infinitely.

Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2002, 01:19:52 pm »

the problem with that is what happens if someone wants to restore 365 times, where do you draw the line.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2002, 01:23:01 pm »

I'm going to close this thread because there are two running on this subject.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up