INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio playback suddenly becomes extremely distorted [Solved -- hardware problem]  (Read 20337 times)

jimm

• Recent member

I'm not sure if I should ask this in the MC12 or sound card forum.  I'm still on MC12 because it does everything I need it to, audio playback and database management. I'm willing to upgrade if that would fix my problem, but I'd like to know if there's any reason to hope for that.

I replaced a 6-year-old HP laptop/Win XP/SoundBlaster Extigy USB with a 2-year-old Lenovo/Win 7/Mackie Onyx Blackjack (also USB). The older system worked perfectly as far as sound was concerned, but the Extigy does not have Win7 drivers. The Onyx is mainly oriented toward recording but I also want it to use it for ordinary music playback.

Playing mp3s via MC12 and the Onyx, I get anywhere from 1 to 20+ minutes of excellent playback, but then suddenly in mid-track it becomes extremely distorted, almost to the point of white noise, barely recognizable as having a source in music. So far I have not been able to make this happen with either MC12 played through the on-board audio or with Windows Media Player through the Onyx, so I'm thinking it's something in the combination of the two. I'm looking for suggestions as to what might cause this and MC12 or driver settings that might fix it. I have tried Wave Out, Direct Sound, and ASIO output settings in MC12 and the symptom didn't change. Any insights appreciated.

jimm

• Recent member
Re: audio playback suddenly becomes extremely distorted
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:54:46 pm »

Never mind. I was able to reproduce it with Windows Media Center, it just took a little longer. It seems to be a USB-related problem--only happens when I'm playing mp3s from an external USB hard drive. Found some stuff from Mackie saying their USB gear should be on its own USB controller. Would have been nice to know that before buying.:-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up