INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JR Remote - Recongizing devices - Being solved  (Read 2081 times)

Battledad

• World Citizen
JR Remote - Recongizing devices - Being solved
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »

Got my JR remote, plugged in the usb and the remote is recognized. I go to learn devices and simply can't get it to recognize the IR from my Panasonic plasma tv. No matter how many times I press it never recognizes.

Help?

Battledad

• World Citizen
Re: JR Remote - Recongizing devices
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:08 pm »

So no one else has had a problem getting the JR remote system to "learn" a TV device?

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:42:55 pm »

Update: I uninstalled the reader and reinstalled it and still won't learn. I rebooted and still won't learn. I updated to the latest build and still won't learn.

to be clear I use the wizard, choose train TV and then press the remote control power button on the Panasonic remote holding it 1-2" in front of the reader and press rapidly and release. I've done this for up to two (2) minutes at a time and get no learning.

Am I doing something wrong? The TV remote turns the TV on/off so it's working.

Is there a way to manually enter a control code (if I can find one for my TV) and try that?

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:23:58 pm »

I was hoping someone had had the same issue and could help. Apparently this is either unique or just not an issue with others.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:16 am »

I had a hard time JR recognize my remotes so I gave up on it. I went and ordered Flirc instead and it works fine.
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:17:56 am »

Can you walk thru what you did? Are you using just their IR dongle with the JR remote or are you using a different remote with their dongle or....?

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:40 pm »

This is unusual for the lack of help . Generally good answers here correct people must be busy .

was just going to order one too

wish you luck I'll be watching

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »

I even sent Jim (moderator) and Deanna (the one who ships) private messages asking for help but no response from either.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:09 am »

Sorry for the slow response on this.  I'd like to work with you on the problem - can you send me a log file as a first step?  Start up Media Center, enable logging (Help / Logging), then try to learn something with the remote.  Then send the log file to me (johnt at jriver dot com).
Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 03:06:54 pm »

Where can I find the log file after it is made?

Solved. I didn't realize I need to click the report button to generate the file. Just sent it.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:30 pm »

Heard back from one of the developers and they have duplicated the problem and are working on a fix.

JohnT

Re: JR Remote - Recongizing devices - Being solved
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:08:17 am »

I thought I had duplicated the problem, but I discovered that the transceiver I was testing with is defective.  When I tried a different one it worked fine.  It's possible yours is defective, but I see you're using a plasma TV and its a strong possibility that the transceiver is getting extraneous IR signals from the TV that interfere with the IR learning process.  I also have a plasma TV at home and I have to take care to place the transceiver somewhat behind the front of the TV to get good results.  During learning, I carefully shield the transceiver from the TV and from direct sunlight to avoid problems.  We used to have a plasma TV here at work, and our IR receivers would go nuts when placed in front of it.  Try rebooting your computer, then try doing the learning with the TV off or with the transceiver shielded.

There's also a very slim possibility that the remote control you use for your TV uses a frequency range not supported by our IR receiver.  I haven't encountered any of these but have heard they exist.  To rule that out, try learning with some other remote control you have laying around.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

I thought I had duplicated the problem, but I discovered that the transceiver I was testing with is defective.  When I tried a different one it worked fine.  It's possible yours is defective, but I see you're using a plasma TV and its a strong possibility that the transceiver is getting extraneous IR signals from the TV that interfere with the IR learning process.  I also have a plasma TV at home and I have to take care to place the transceiver somewhat behind the front of the TV to get good results.  During learning, I carefully shield the transceiver from the TV and from direct sunlight to avoid problems.  We used to have a plasma TV here at work, and our IR receivers would go nuts when placed in front of it.  Try rebooting your computer, then try doing the learning with the TV off or with the transceiver shielded.

There's also a very slim possibility that the remote control you use for your TV uses a frequency range not supported by our IR receiver.  I haven't encountered any of these but have heard they exist.  To rule that out, try learning with some other remote control you have laying around.

thanks for the comments. My thoughts:
1) I shield the TV remote and hold it 1-2" from the transciever
2) I also tried using the remote from my sound bar and no learning
3) When I use the JR remote I can change stations and operate the media center with no issue so the transciever would appear to be working
4) The media center sits about 5 feet from the TV and below it by about 4 feet (the TV is on the mantle in a corner). The media center is inside a cabinet I built with the transceiver inside the cabinet which adds additional shielding
5) I'm rebooted and retried 4x so far with the same result

Any other thoughts? I notice that other people have had the same issue and most just gave up.

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »

Fresh batteries in the remote?  Even if it works in normal usage, weak batteries could cause the learning process to fail since it needs a stronger signal.

Did you try learning with another remote you have laying around?  If that works, the problem may be that the transceiver doesn't support learning the frequencies used by the Panasonic TV remote control.  If it doesn't work, your transceiver may be defective.

This is probably a long-shot, but I googled "panasonic plasma tv remote control codes" and it came back with a list of "Pronto" format codes for all buttons on a Panasonic remote control.  Our "Add Blast" function in Media Center can optionally accept an input string of numbers in Pronto format which it will use to generate the IR blast instead of learning from the actual remote control.  Let me know if you'd be interested in trying this method, I can give you step-by-step directions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up