INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ceton infinity 4 tv tuner  (Read 4581 times)

05Goat

• Recent member
Ceton infinity 4 tv tuner
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »

I've been searching,I'm using the JRiver trial right now,but I'm leaning towards buying it.
But.. am I reading correctly that the Ceton tv cards aren't compatible with JRiver?
I'd also love to see what the tv guide looks like. I like WMC's guide,but it could be better.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Ceton infinity 4 tv tuner
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »

Welcome.

Ceton is not currently supported.  We're working on it, and I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's too soon to say where it will lead.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »

Welcome.

Ceton is not currently supported.  We're working on it, and I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's too soon to say where it will lead.

Why is it different than the other cards?
I don't have to use JRiver for tv,but it would be nice to. I wouldn't even need WMC then.
Is there a way to see a screen shot of the tv guide in JRiver?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:30:21 pm »

There is a guide screenshot near the end of the slideshow here:
http://www.jriver.com/htpc.html
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:00 am »

Why is it different than the other cards?

CableCard is intentionally designed to be a huge, expensive pain in the butt to implement on commodity PC hardware.  Until about a year and a half ago (or maybe a bit longer), it was impossible to do in any application other than Windows Media Center.

They've relaxed the restrictions somewhat, but you are essentially still supposed to pay a huge amount of money to CableLabs for a license (and for compliance testing to ensure you implemented all of the required DRM schemes).

Open Source alternatives usually either:

1. Only implement unencrypted CableCard content (Copy Freely tagged).  For Time Warner cable in my area, this means ZERO channels work.

2. Hack around it and ship things in clear violation of the licenses, which opens them to lawsuits.  For open source projects, often no one cares (because there is no corporate entity to sue).  But, JRiver can't do that with a commercial product.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:09:30 pm »

That really sucks. :(  So does comcast frown on htpc's?

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:33 pm »

That really sucks. :(  So does comcast frown on htpc's?

Not really they are agnostic about the PC from a support point of view. They are just a terrible customer support organization overall. They literally win awards for how bad they are. They are not geared from the billing side to treat you well when it comes to cable card and they make collossal screwups that can require multiple trips to their stores to fix. Service is very constrained in what they can do. But getting a cable ard paired to a tuner or a Tivo for that matter is usually simple unless billing bulloocks the whole thing up which is pretty common. They don't cosistently implement their pricing policy and often will overprice cablecards.. a battle royal will ensue and usually you just need to take  your screwing like a man.. You can cite their online FAQs or other documentation they don't care. If they were real alternatives you could tell them where to go.. sadly in my market they are the provider... so you just have to suck it up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:28:19 am »

MC 18.0.146 added support for Ceton devices:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79010.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up