INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicated Video Card...  (Read 1219 times)

05Goat

• Recent member
Dedicated Video Card...
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:34 pm »

I'm running an intel i3 with HD 4000 video built in.. Is that enough or should I put in a dedicated video card? Everything seems to run ok,just wondering if NVidia's Cuda would make a big difference..

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dedicated Video Card...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:19:15 pm »

Depending on the types of video you play, your sensitivity to dropped frames, and the overall power of your CPU (whether it is a Core i3 with a HD4000 versus a Core i7 3770k makes a big difference on its own), you can see improved performance with ROHQ mode selected and the hardware acceleration enabled.  Possibly a dramatic improvement, or perhaps almost none, depending on those factors.

It will not improve the quality of the video you see (in as far as the quality of the individual frame renders), but it can improve the smoothness of the playback, if ROHQ pushes your CPU too much on its own.

Even with this all in mind, the performance improvement will generally only show an impact when you playing content that requires either:

1. Big up/down scales (upscaling a SD video to 1080p, or 1080p to SD)
2. Complex deinterlacing (deinterlacing 1080i content, for example)

And only in ROHQ, and even then, if desired, you can easily tweak ROHQ to reduce the quality of some of the filters (and you may or may not notice the difference), and you should have no trouble with any modern Ivy Bridge CPU.

So...

Probably not, in your case, if you say you're seeing no trouble.

However, if you DO see trouble when you enable ROHQ with certain "difficult" video files, then a modest video card can go a long way.  The developer of LAV codes primarily with Nvidia hardware, so that will probably be the best supported (as opposed to AMD).  There are some discussions of specific models for this purpose on the Video Card board on Interact.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:56 pm »

Thank you for the response.  It is an ivy bridge.  I do have a geforce 260 gtx just laying around.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:07 am »

I don't think you'd gain anything with a GTX260, Granted it's a few notches faster but not fast enough (IMO) to use much better settings for ROHQ.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:40 am »

Unless I ran into issues,I won't get a new video card. Otherwise I'd probably go with a 650 ti. I'm sure that would have more than enough power.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:38:40 am »

Yes, if you run into issues you can try the 260, obviously.

I found with the default Madvr settings in ROHQ the HD4000 ran fine, except for deinterlacing + upscaling DVD, and probably deinterlacing 1080i as well (but I don't have any of that).
Pages: [1]   Go Up