INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 crashing?  (Read 1817 times)

Battledad

• World Citizen
MC 18 crashing?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:09:13 pm »

We're been using MC pretty solid this past week but we are seeing random crashes. May happen one or more times a day or may go several days. Is this something I would turn the logging on, wait till it happens again and then make arrangements for someone at JR to review?

Battledad

• World Citizen
Re: MC 18 crashing?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:46 pm »

Log file? If yes to who? It's random and hasn't happened in a couple of days.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »

The cause for a random crash is hard to identify.  Please see if you can narrow down the circumstances.

You could also take a look at the wiki topic on Stability.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:39:02 pm »

We're been using MC pretty solid this past week but we are seeing random crashes. May happen one or more times a day or may go several days. Is this something I would turn the logging on, wait till it happens again and then make arrangements for someone at JR to review?

I would turn on logging, so you can capture the crash, yes.  It won't hurt to know specifically what it was doing when it crashed.

Also, as Jim suggests, try to figure out more specifics about how and when the crash occurs.  I'd also check your disk(s) for trouble, especially the disk that contains the Library, but also the disk(s) that contain your media files.  Trying to import corrupt files and library access problems would be likely causes for full-on crashes.

That said, I too have had a few odd crashes here and there over the past month or so, though this week's builds seem better.  I can't say for sure though, because I'm just now recovering from a disk failure three weeks ago in my RAID, right while I was in the middle of swapping out the guts of my HTPC for an upgraded board.  So, my problems may have been mostly to do with that, as they seem better now, and the disk problems are solved.

Still, though... MC has been "hiccuping" for me in Theater View (it happened tonight... Froze for maybe 30-45 seconds, and then "unstuck" itself).  There are probably some gremlins in there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:20 am »

My movies are on a usb drive and my music is on another pc that MC looks to when needed.

It appears (so far) that we are in Theater mode when the crashes occur. The window pops up and says "MC has stopped working". I click and it closes and I relaunch and am ok for some period of time again. I have had several instances (again in Theater mode) where it seems to hang for up to 1 minutes before it starts working again. I'll turn logging on tomorrow and leave it running until the next crash. I always attempt to identify, as specifically as possible, what's going on but to date it's just normal use watching TV or using a browser link out of Theater view.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:23:57 am »

Try Red October Standard in video settings.  If the machine is underpowered, ROHQ could be a problem.

Try updating your video driver.

Try playing local files.  A USB drive could be too slow for high definition movies. 

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »

Try Red October Standard in video settings.  If the machine is underpowered, ROHQ could be a problem.

> running Red October already
> Underpowered meaning? Dual core processor, 4gig of ram. Machine is 6 months old

Try updating your video driver.
> AMD - Running the latest already

Try playing local files.  A USB drive could be too slow for high definition movies. 
> I'll try to keep notes on what it's doing when it crashes if possible. The USB drive is usb2.0 and is 6 months old

When I turn logging on does the file continue to grow and how large is too large to share? If I go for a period of time and no crash should I stop the log file and start a new one to keep the size down?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:52:06 pm »

Are you running RO Std?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 02:53:06 pm »

The file will grow.  In 2 days, mine is about 90meg, about the same size as 3 or 4 lossless audio files.

Each time you restart MC, the log is moved to a previous log file, and the next time that log file is deleted.

Just ignore the size and wait for the crash.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »

Are you running RO Std?

Yes. Just checked under Video and shows RO Standard

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 03:24:00 pm »

Did you try the "Stability" topic on our wiki?

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:21:47 pm »

I have not. I just went to the wiki and typed stability in the search and nothing comes up. Can you share the link?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:30:13 pm »

Maybe you had a typo.  Search works for me:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stability
Pages: [1]   Go Up