INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get media server to connect  (Read 1775 times)

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
Can't get media server to connect
« on: March 09, 2003, 07:06:18 am »

Greetings
Well I finally got my network up and running, from upstairs desktop to downstairs laptop. Wireless signal is good, everything is a go.

I installed same version of MJ8 on the laptop, started server on the desktop, it says it's initialized and ready for sharing.

I started server on the laptop and got two error messages:
1. Failed to connect to a server
2. Failed to download media library.

I went back to the desktop and marked the JRiver folder for sharing, but that didn't help.

I've searched interact but couldn't find anything that applies.

Another thought: I'm running a d-link 615+ router. It has something in settings called virtual server, which I'm not sure I understand. Do I have to set that up to allow laptop access to the media library?
Any ideas?

Thx

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't get media server to connect
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 08:06:47 am »

Can you get to the media server from MJ running on the same machine?  Can you do other network related activities from the laptop?   Get to the internet?   Ping the desktop?  

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 08:25:04 am »

Here's how you do it across a LAN...(on NT/W2k/XP systems)

1) On the server, open a cmd window (Windows Start button>Run>cmd). Type in ipconfig. Copy down the IP Address (right now mine is 12.217.114.226).

2) Now start up Media Server. After it has started you need to share by going to the Media Server window and select File>Share. (I think this is why yours isn't working).

3) On the client, select MJ>Tools>Media Server>Connect. Enter the IP address of the server (the port number will be added automatically).

Rx

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 09:59:57 am »

RemyJ:
yes, I can do all those things (well, I haven't figured out how to ping!), but I'm on the Internet, I'm using the printer connected to the desktop, I scanned all my music into WMP just to see if I could and it would stream ok (it does), etc.

Xen-uno:
Yep, did all those things before, did them again, same result, same error messages.

??
thx

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 02:39:01 pm »

Did you try to connect to the media server from the same machine?

To ping, find the ip address on the desktop as xen-uno describes, then from a command window on the laptop it's simple: "ping <ipaddress>"

If that works...

If you left the media server on it's default port (80) then try to get to it using a web browser from the laptop.  If the desktop's ip address is 192.168.2.1, then simply browse to <http://192.168.2.1>  You should get a message that you are not using a standard Music01 protocol.

If that works, there should be no reason MJ can't connect unless you're not using the right IP address.

If it doesn't, report back with results.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »

Well, it worked!  ;D
I was able to ping the desktop with no trouble, I tried the Web browser with no problem -- and then I tried the server again and, voila!
I swear I did it the same way the previous umpteen times, but ....
Music sound a lot better than it did coming out of WMP, 'tho that might be bias talkin'.
But now I've discovered: no album art. Arrrggh. I've got folder.jpg in every folder, it took forever and a day to do, too.
Is it normal that cover art doesn't stream?
(sigh)
Thanks much for the help, Remy et al.

barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up