INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stuck at 44.1K in exclusive mode (wasapi, wasapi event) with USB DAC  (Read 5214 times)

audiophil

Hi to all,

I would like to know your experience with audio mode wasapi and or wasapi event (which is exclusice instead of shared mode).
I use an HRT heastreamer which support up to 96K, 24 bits. My headstreamer has leds to indicate the playback sample rate.

My problem is regading the sample rate by default when no sample rate modification is done (output format is checked but no change is selected for all input rate).

I do not understand why the rate is always stucked at 44.1K eventhough my USB device support 96K and the input source is 96, 128, 192 or 320K. This is confirmed by the led on my USB device at 44.1K.

The only way to get the maximum rate supported by my USB device is to force '96K' instead of 'no change' for the 44.1k incoming audio in the output format tab option.

Is this the better solution to get the best audio quality on my HRT headstreamer?
I have a doubt regading this solution. Does JR makes two sample rate conversion? Does JR down sample first a 44.1K and upconvert after to 96K? Why I cannot have the 96K without sample rate conversion? The exclusive mode isn't supposed to playback whitout resampling?

What I would like, is JR making only one modification to the sample rate which is force it at 96K.
Does everybody else has this behavior with an external USB DAC which support 96K and more?
Thanks for your input

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen

I use wasapi event with my DAC, which shows sampling rate and bit-depth, and have no problem playing any combination of bit-depth and sample rate up to 24/192. And DSD fwiw. Windows 7.

audiophil

Hi Andy, you confirm that your Dac shows the same sampling rate of your native source?
What is the options you set in the "DSP and ouptput format" options to get this?

I am just trying to find out what is wrong in my setup.

By the way, what do you mean by "And DSD fwiw" ?

Thanks!

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen

Hi Andy, you confirm that your Dac shows the same sampling rate of your native source?
What is the options you set in the "DSP and ouptput format" options to get this?

I am just trying to find out what is wrong in my setup.

By the way, what do you mean by "And DSD fwiw" ?

Thanks!

Yes, I confirm that my DAC shows the same sampling rate and bit-depth as the native source.  If I tell MC to resample, the chosen sampling rate also shows on my DAC.

My settings are:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output > Output mode: WASAPI - Event Style

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output > Output mode settings:  Open device for exclusive accese

Tools > Options > Audio > DSP and output format > Output format: Tick > Sample rate - select "No change" for each sample rate you want.

It could be that you currently have set MC to resample everything to 44.1 - changing the above Sample rate settings will fix that.

... same form: Bitdepth: Source Bitdepth (or to suit - theres an argument for using dithering if you use MC volume control/DSP)

DSD is a high resolution 1 bit digital format - my DAC will also replay it, so I also select the "Bitstreaming; Yes (DSD over PCM (DoP)) option.

hth

misterdog

• Recent member

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output > Output mode settings:  Open device for exclusive accese

This is the same problem I started with.

For the above,  to enable- exclusive access- a cross appears in the box, not a tick , or blank. Mine is now outputting bit perfect 16 and 24 bit.

For more info on DSD see Wikipedia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up