INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 intercepts volume buttons on keyboard.  (Read 1250 times)

ti_dust

• Recent member
MC18 intercepts volume buttons on keyboard.
« on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:08 pm »

I like to keep MC running in the background because I might lay down and listen to MC/headphones at any time.  It does not play to my default audio device.  My default audio device is a separate DAC for Windows sounds, games, etc.  I have volume up and down buttons on my keyboard to control the master volume of the default audio device, which I would like to use.  Now, no matter what I tell MC to do, it continues to intercept the volume keys on my keyboard.  I have tried:

1. Media Key Mode: tried all 4 options, including disabled.  "Disabled" REALLY should end the interception of media/volume commands coming from my keyboard.  It does not.
2. Volume Mode: tried all 4 options, without success.  I usually leave volume mode as disabled since I control volume with my headphone amp.

Is there an option somewhere that I missed?  Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC18 intercepts volume buttons on keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:59:23 pm »

It seems like you've tried all the right things, so I can't explain what you're seeing.

What keyboard and keyboard software do you use?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ti_dust

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:09:55 pm »

I'm using this keyboard, which is USB and doesn't use any drivers, so I assume the media keys are standard HID.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3060&product_name=CM%20Storm%20QuickFire%20Rapid

Now the volume keys do change the volume within MC, as long as volume mode is not disabled.  Note: The media keys are invoked by pressing FN+F<x> and FN is a keyboard function and not a software function so the OS has no idea the media keys technically aren't dedicated.

Basically, I would like MC to "Pass-Thru" or "Ignore" media (HID?) commands from the keyboard, instead of always hijacking them from the OS, no matter what you have set for Media Key Mode.

Hmmmm, now its passing through the commands as long as the MC window is not in focus.  That must be what is happening.  It is also possible that I didn't restart MC after changing media key mode before.  This is probably my mistake.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:41 pm »

There's currently no way to get the program to ignore media keys when it's the focused application.  Windows (or the keyboard driver software) sends a message straight to us, and we always accept it.

I suppose we could make "Disabled" media key mode not even accept direct messages.  Or we could make two flavors of disabled (the current one and a new one that ignores direct messages).

Any +1 votes?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:10 am »

There's currently no way to get the program to ignore media keys when it's the focused application.  Windows (or the keyboard driver software) sends a message straight to us, and we always accept it.

I suppose we could make "Disabled" media key mode not even accept direct messages.  Or we could make two flavors of disabled (the current one and a new one that ignores direct messages).

Any +1 votes?

Matt, I've been seeing basically the same issue for months too. I didn't take the time to understand the volume modes, so I assumed I had to change a setting. I think you may have missed the point here. The problem is when MC is NOT in focus, and playback is stopped, the media keys do not change OS volume like they used to. e.g. I play a youtube video late at night (in a browser). It plays very loudly, and I instinctively press volume down on my keyboard (again, no special drivers installed). Nothing happens. :(

ti_dust

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:09:19 pm »

+1     ;D

Actually, I'm ok with it as is, as long as it continues to function the way it is now.  I'm not sure what happened before, but even after 2 reboots, it continues to pass along media commands as long as MC is not in focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up