INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Volume vs Disabled Volume  (Read 2561 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Internal Volume vs Disabled Volume
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »

I've had a read over the Wiki: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Internal_Volume_Headroom
And gone through a few pages of search results, but haven't been able to find an answer.

If you are always using volume at 100% on the computer, and inside MC18, does it make a difference whether you use Internal Volume or Disabled Volume?

The Wiki says:
Internal Volume is particularly useful if you perform signal processing like Convolution, Equalization, Linkwitz, etc. Any volume reduction will be available as extra signal headroom, reducing the chances of unwanted clipping or volume reductions from Clip Protection.
Imagine that use convolution, which in rare cases outputs at +6dB (so over 100% peak level).
If you use System Volume, this +6dB will either have to be flat-lined (leading to audible distortion), or Clip Protection will engage and turn the volume of all channels down (also undesirable).
If you instead use Internal Volume, it's likely you will have headroom to avoid any clipping or volume reduction. For example, if you normally listen at -12dB, you could accommodate up to +12dB before there is any need for clipping or volume reductions.
But I am confused by this. Even if it's working in 64-bit, how can you go above 0dB? Whether it's working internally at 64-bit or not, the output is only going to be 24-bit.

And when you check inside DSP Studio, it says that it's always working in 64-bit regardless of what you have the volume mode set to.

So if I want to guarantee that I can't accidentally hit the mouse wheel and turn down the volume at all, isn't it better to just run with the Disabled Volume setting?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Internal Volume vs Disabled Volume
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:58:52 pm »

If you are always using volume at 100% on the computer, and inside MC18, does it make a difference whether you use Internal Volume or Disabled Volume?

Internal Volume at 100% is the same as no volume.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:38 pm »

But I am confused by this. Even if it's working in 64-bit, how can you go above 0dB? Whether it's working internally at 64-bit or not, the output is only going to be 24-bit.

If you use Internal Volume, you will normally be at much less than 100%.

For example, I just watched a movie at about 50% internal volume.  This leaves about 25dB of headroom, which is great because I also use a Linkwitz on the subwoofer channel that likes headroom.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:36:37 am »

So to be clear, using the Disabled Volume setting has no effect on internal processing whatsoever (e.g. using ReplayGain or downmixing surround) it's just that it is preferable to use the internal volume to another control somewhere else on the PC like the system mixer.

I mean, that's what I expected to be the case, when DSP Studio reports the internal precision as 64-bits regardless. The way things were worded on the Wiki is somewhat confusing and seems to imply that using Internal Volume is somehow better than Disabled Volume, even if I were to control volume externally. (I adjust it in the amplifier)

It's too bad that you can't have the PC control the amplifier volume level for things like ReplayGain.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:26 am »

I think some of the Wavelength DACs can have their volume control by Windows.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »

So to be clear, using the Disabled Volume setting has no effect on internal processing whatsoever (e.g. using ReplayGain or downmixing surround) it's just that it is preferable to use the internal volume to another control somewhere else on the PC like the system mixer.

I mean, that's what I expected to be the case, when DSP Studio reports the internal precision as 64-bits regardless. The way things were worded on the Wiki is somewhat confusing and seems to imply that using Internal Volume is somehow better than Disabled Volume, even if I were to control volume externally. (I adjust it in the amplifier)

It's too bad that you can't have the PC control the amplifier volume level for things like ReplayGain.

Internal volume is superior to disabled volume (and affects DSP) to the extent that you use any DSP that boosts gain in any way (EQ boosts, linkwitz transforms, convolution, etc.).  If you have volume disabled (and maxed), or have internal volume set to 100% and any DSP effects apply gain, peaks will engage clip protection, which is undesirable (lowers volume during program material, affects dynamics, etc.).  

If you use internal volume as your main volume control, you'll rarely have it set to 100%, so will almost always have headroom to apply those DSP effects (and you can set your internal maximum volume if you want to make sure that you never risk engaging clip protection).  That's why the wiki suggests internal volume is preferable.  For example, I have my amps opened up and use internal volume as my primary system volume control.  This allows me to use a linkwitz transform without fear of clipping.  

If you always leave internal volume at 100%, there's no difference between the two, but if you use any gain boosting EQ, internal volume set appropriately below 100% would be a better idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up