INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC on a Server  (Read 1636 times)

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
FLAC on a Server
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:47 am »

Hi there,

Second question from someone new to JRiver I have told MC18 to use my FLAC tracks instaed of the iTunes libary these are on my Server but MC18 appears to import the track details size FLAc etc but yet my hard drive space remains unaltered do I assume from this that when MC18 plays my FLAC music it connects to my Server to read the FLAC track or am I way off base here?

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

Many thanks, Tim.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: FLAC on a Server
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:34:44 am »

With the default settings in iTunes, it copies the media files it finds during an import to its own library folder in an attempt to keep everything organised. Is this what you expected MC to do as well?

With MC, when you import files it leaves the files where they are and updates its own library to point to the location where the files are found. This would explain why you are not seeing your harddrive space shrinking.

Once MC has imported everything, you can choose to move/copy the files to a new location using Library Tools if that is what you want.

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:43:03 am »

Hi there,

Second question from someone new to JRiver I have told MC18 to use my FLAC tracks instaed of the iTunes libary these are on my Server but MC18 appears to import the track details size FLAc etc but yet my hard drive space remains unaltered do I assume from this that when MC18 plays my FLAC music it connects to my Server to read the FLAC track or am I way off base here?

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

Many thanks, Tim.

Hi Tim,
Yes, you are correct.  When you import files from your server, or any other folder, MC just builds a library (a database) of the tags within the files on your server.  When you play these it just reads the files directly from the server.  The library will take a small amount of space on the drive on which MC is installed.

iTunes can do the same but it also, by default, imports the files into its on file structure which, again by default, would be on the drive that iTunes is installed on.  This could though be configured to use a server or other drive.

Hope this helps.

David

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:00:24 am »

Hi there,

I-Mouse I wasn't sure what to expect hence my question but I do know and I do use iTunes split on one PC to two drives to save space on a SSD OS drive whilst the music files Apple Lossless large ones are kept on another drive.

Therefore I'm quite happy if MC18 and above keep the music files on the Server just must remember if I'm out of my Server range then MC18 will not be playing my FLAC tracks this only applies to my MacBook Pro but for my HiFi system I'm also experimenting with using my Mac Mini as my music player via USB into a Perraux DP32 so far I haven't played any music until I am sure I have things right well as right as they can be with a BETA MC18.  But must admit my MacBook Pro plays my FLAC music tracks fine.  Finally I'm really glad I wired my house for networking.

Thank you David for confirming what I thought was happening hopefully the above explains what I'm doing.

Now I think it is time to finally fire up the system and hear what MC18 sounds like, I think I've already read someone saying the sound stage sounded small, I hope not.  Stay tunned I could be back in a while asking why have my big ATC's blown up, but I doubt it must keep the volume down.

Again many thanks for your quick replies.

Tim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up