INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR remote control gets confused by a multi-zone setup...  (Read 936 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
IR remote control gets confused by a multi-zone setup...
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:17:26 am »

Awesome stuff on the forum these days, congratulations on the ongoing Mac release! In the meantime, I have a small setup question/suggestion for the PC version.

I have 2 zones set up, for different DACs and EQ settings. Zone 1 has Loudness and Volume Leveling, Zone 2 is totally flat. Both output to external D/A converters using Wasapi Event Style. MC 18 Build 149, Windows 7. Sitting across the room, I control the playback using Gizmo and an HP IR remote control which I purchased from JRiver in 2010. One small quirk prevents the remote from being as useful as I'd like, and I'll try to describe it as accurately as possible:

Wednesday night I listen to music using Zone 2. When I'm done, I stop playback and sleep computer using the stop and power button on the remote. Friday, I wake computer and play music through Zone 1 using Gizmo, and then try to use the volume and track controls on the remote.

Gizmo works. However, the IR remote doesn't work...yet. It's still controlling zone 1 from the previous session.

Is there a way for the "Active Zone" (the one that is highlighted at any given time in the upper left quadrant menu at Playing Now) to default to the currently playing zone, not the last active zone? This would ensure that an IR remote is always controlling the currently active zone.

My current fix is to head to the computer, (where in the Playing Now I see a green play on Zone 2, but Zone 1 is highlighted), click on Zone 1 to highlight the zone, and then the remote works. Or, use gizmo...but sometime my tablet dies, I'm reading, on the phone, etc. and a quick remote control would be very handy. Also, if I'm not home, if the remote doesn't work it gets complicated to explain over the phone...you get the idea. ZoneSwitch isn't the best solution for this as far as I can tell. Zone 1 is for quiet and EQ'ed music. Zone 2 is for "accurate" listening.

It's a small item, but a quick change to the default behavior could ensure that the remote always controls the current zone. Thanks for your time and for considering this!

(Edit: I just found the setting "Switch to zone on load" in the theater view settings. This helps, then the remote always works on one zone after you hit the green button.)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: IR remote control gets confused by a multi-zone setup...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »

(Edit: I just found the setting "Switch to zone on load" in the theater view settings. This helps, then the remote always works on one zone after you hit the green button.)

OK, using this setting basically solves the above problem! I hate it when that happens, you spend 20 minutes describing a setup and obstacle that is solved by a click of a button!

Moral of the story, search before you post. Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up