INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Pioneer pulled out of Plasma production... Now Pana...  (Read 4835 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

:o ... what to buy when my 60" Pio finally needs replacing!

Panasonic eyeing withdrawal from plasma TV operations

Kyodo -- Mar 18

Panasonic Corp. is considering withdrawing from plasma television operations possibly in fiscal 2014 as part of efforts to focus more on profitable products, corporate sources said Monday.

Panasonic is expected to formally announce the downsizing of its TV operations later this month when the company releases its new mid-term business plan.
The Japanese manufacturer is making arrangements to cease production of plasma TV display panels at its plant in Amagasaki near Osaka possibly in the business year ending in March 2015, the sources said.
JRiver CEO Elect

apostos

• World Citizen
Re: First Pioneer pulled out of Plasma production... Now Pana...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:55:59 pm »

Providing I don’t have to remortgage my home to purchase one, and it lives up to the hype… OLED.

Sony and Panasonic have agreed to partner in the development of this technology, following Samsung and LG into the marketplace sometime in 2013 or 2014. Hopefully with development and competition, prices will start to come down. If not, my Panasonic will be all of 6 years old in 2015. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another at that time.

compcond

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:14:08 pm »

The problem is (at least according to a gentleman who owns a TV repair business and does warranty work) is that Panasonic never solved the disappearing black issue. 

It was originally discovered appearing abruptly at 1,500 hours but they "fixed" the problem a couple of years back by making the blacks gradually brighter during the 1,000 to 2,000 hour portion of the TV's life.  While I'd love the absolute best picture available $2/hr seems a bit too expensive as that quality seems to expire at the 1,000 hour mark.

I was also informed that they are starting to get burn-in calls again with plasma TVs with very low mileage on them and the suspicion is that they've cheapened up the phosphers (at least on the high volume models)

Again, no personal experience but I trust the source.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »

My favorite tech toy ever is my projector.

You need to light control your room, but the results are just awesome (and no longer that expensive).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:45:54 am »

I've been thinking about a projector, but there's a couple of things that keep me from doing so.

- needs a screen, a white wall isn't the same (especially not when it has a structured plaster)
- need to run a hdmi cable across the room, across the ceiling or up a wall. My room is plastered and its not going to easy/cheap to run a cable seamingly invisible.
- Don't want to use the projecter for casual programs, the news, my kids cartoons so I'd still need a TV.
- A new lamp is typically a rip-off, sometimes nearly as expensive as the projector itself.

If my TV would break down, I'd probably get the Panasonic ZT60.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:31 am »

I have both a 60" Pio and a 100" (removable screen) & PC in the same room as it is not light controlled:
- Plasma is great for everyday viewing for SD TV but the current range as been a race to the bottom for price and hence quality.  I paid $10K for the Pio when it came out
- PJ is unequaled for large screen quality as the fill factor is far better than any flat panel.  The down side is that ambient light makes it no go for general daylight viewing.
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:16:24 am »

My favorite tech toy ever is my projector.

Time to upgrade.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up