INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media sub type updating tags  (Read 1976 times)

alspoll

• World Citizen
Media sub type updating tags
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:05 pm »

Not sure when this started but I am noticing that when I change the Media sub type tag, I do not see a message stating "saving tag changes". I do see it if i change any other tag.

I noticed it because i have 2 libraries, 1 local and 1 remote which is an exact copy. I use the local to update file names and artwork and then use the remote when i actually use jriver (this library exists on my HTPC). what i noticed is i changed the Media sub type tag for a few files and then used update library from tags and it did not update to reflect the change. Only if i update tags from library does it save the change.

I tested it on my local library by changing the Media sub type tag from tv show to movie and then selected update library from tags and it changed back to tv show.

Anyone else noticing similar behavior?

TIA,

AL

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Media sub type updating tags
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:26 pm »

Media Sub Type is not saved in file tags.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:54:00 pm »

when i open the sidecar file it does show the tag, not sure how and when it gets set and saved.

why wouldn't it get saved?

what if i lost my library and back ups and reinstalled jriver and imported my media to start over again.  i thought the sidecar files would have all tag info to repopulate the library.

seems like a lot of work to redo again.

i know i can organize the media into sub folders setup by sub media type and set an import rule, but...

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:16 am »

Media Sub Type is not a standard tag in most media files. So, it's not saved "in the files". That's why it's not displaying that message. Other tags that DO get written to files, display a message about it getting written to the media files.

The difference here is that the details are saved to a SIDECAR file when there's no alternatives. Not the media it self. If the whole library are destroyed and you have to start over, MC will automatically pick up the data from the Sidecar files.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up