INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audioquest Dragonfly, Clicks and Pops, Windows 8  (Read 39001 times)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
Audioquest Dragonfly, Clicks and Pops, Windows 8
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:45 am »

Recently upgraded (if that's the right word) to Windows 8 and I now find my previously excellent Audioquest Dragonfly suffers from clicks and pops and dropouts every few seconds. On the box and main webpage for the Dragonfly Audioquest claim that the Dragonfly will deliver "Beautiful Sound .. From Any Computer", but buried in the FAQ on their website there is a caveat that users may get clicks and pops under Windows 8, so it seems to be a known problem. I've tried all the Output Modes in JRiver, and iTunes, but no joy.

Can anyone help? I know this would seem to be an Audioquest issue, but perhaps there is some JRiver magic that will let me workround the problem.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Audioquest Dragonfly, Clicks and Pops, Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:24 am »

Try changing to a different Output Mode in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output. When changing the output mode, you might also have to change the Output Mode Settings to make sure the Dragonfly is selected. You can read more here about the audio output modes:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:11 am »

Try changing to a different Output Mode in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output. When changing the output mode, you might also have to change the Output Mode Settings to make sure the Dragonfly is selected. You can read more here about the audio output modes:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes.

Thanks mojave, tried every single Output Mode, one-by-one, made sure Dragonfly was selected, no luck.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:49 am »

Next I would try to make changes to Output Mode Settings such as making sure "open device for exclusive access" is checked or changing the hardware buffer size. I would try both increasing or decreasing the buffer.

Are you doing an resampling in the DSP Studio > Output Format? If so try without resampling. You can also try changing the USB port or removing other USB connected items.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11:00 am »

Next I would try to make changes to Output Mode Settings such as making sure "open device for exclusive access" is checked or changing the hardware buffer size. I would try both increasing or decreasing the buffer.

Are you doing an resampling in the DSP Studio > Output Format? If so try without resampling. You can also try changing the USB port or removing other USB connected items.

"Open device for exclusive access" is checked.
Increasing hardware buffer size to 500 results in total silence.
Reducing it still gives clicks.
I'm not doing any resampling or anything else in DSP studio.
Changing USB port makes no difference.
Removing a USB mouse possibly makes the clicks less frequent, but only possibly.

Audioquest do acknowledge they have a problem, though they blame Windows and say Microsoft are working on it, which could mean anything. I was just hoping there might be a way for JRiver to circumvent whatever is causing the Dragonfly to misbehave.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:30:38 pm »

I emailed Amazon this morning, they replied within a couple of hours agreeing to a full refund. Not bad service for Easter Sunday concerning a product bought 3 months ago.

imo Audioquest are mis-selling the Dragonfly. The claim on the box - "Beautiful Sound From Any Computer" cannot be true when, according to their own FAQ, it doesn't work at all under Vista and suffers from clicks and pops on Windows 8.

It's a pity, because when it works it is very good.

stereosteve

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 07:48:07 pm »

Hello -

We're sorry that you're having the this compatibility issue between DragonFly and Windows 8. This has been an ongoing issue ever since Windows 8 was officially launched last fall ...

http://www.thestreet.com/print/story/11762958.html

The issue is an incompatibility issue between device drivers within Windows 8. We've been asking Microsoft to fix this since the very beginning but they are yet to respond and make the required repair.

We state the incompatibility issue clearly on our website at the top of the DragonFly page ...

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

We'll send another request to Microsoft this week and hopefully get a favorable result.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Regards,

Steve Silberman

AudioQuest
info@audioquest.com
www.audioquest.com

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:38:36 am »

Steve, thank you for your reply. I will take issue with the following points.

You say that you "state the incompatibility issue clearly on our website at the top of the DragonFly page ... "

There is no reference to Windows 8 whatsoever on that page. There is a link to a page entitled "Dragonfly and Vista" wherein it states that "Currently, Dragonfly is incompatible with Windows Vista".

You do have a statement that there are known issues with Windows 8 and Dragonfly, but this is on the second page of your FAQ.

The headline on the product box states unequivocally "Beautiful Sound .. From Any Computer". This claim is repeated at the top of the product page you linked to. It is untrue. A Dragonfly does not work at all with Vista and it works badly with Windows 8, as you admit.

The first paragraph inside the product box states that a "Dragonfly .. connects to a USB jack on a .. Windows PC .. turning any computer into a true high-fidelity music source". This is untrue. If the Windows pc is running Windows 8 (or Vista) a Dragonfly will not work.

There is no mention of the issues with Windows 8 (or Vista) on the product packaging or supplied documentation.

There is no mention of the issues with Windows 8 (or Vista) on the text describing the Dragonfly on the Amazon website, from whom I purchased the product.

Fortunately for me, Amazon responed to my email and have offered me a refund. You have not responded to my email, though you have posted here.

I bought the Dragonfly from Amazon UK, where there is a statutory body known as the "Advertising Standards Authority" which regulates advertising and product claims. It is a requirement that claims made for products must be "Legal, Decent, Honest and True".

It is my opinion that your headline claim for the Dragonfly - "Beautiful Sound .. From Any Computer" is not honest or true in the light of the restrictions for Windows 8 and Vista. There are tens of millions of computers running these two operating systems.

I am quite happy to submit a complaint to the ASA and let them adjudicate the issue. If the complaint is upheld, you will be required to modify your packaging and your advertising in the UK.

Blaming Microsoft doesn't cut it either; my Benchmark DAC2 has no such problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:49 am »

Steve is one of the people who created the Dragonfly.  We know him well and he deserves to be heard.  He isn't a support person.  If you will give him a chance this may get solved.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:44:36 am »

I did indeed give Steve a hearing.

I heard him say that Audioquest "state the incompatibilty issue clearly on our website at the top of the Dragonfly page".

Here is the Dragonfly page. There is no mention of issues with Windows 8 anywhere on it.  

The headline claims "Beautiful Sound From Any Computer". Not true.

Nor is there any mention of any issues with Windows 8 on the box or in the manual or in the brochure or on amazon.co.uk. These all repeat the "any computer" claim.

The Dragonfly doesn't deliver sound, beautiful or otherwise, from "any computer", just those running XP or Windows 7 (or macs).

It cannot be an inherent problem with USB DACs since many, if not most, do not suffer from these issues. Your forum would be in meltdown if it were!

Steve has offered no timescale for a fix, no workround, no compensation. Nor has he modified the Audioquest website or promotional literature to more accurately reflect the limits of the product to potential customers. So I'm getting my money back from Amazon, as they agree the product doesn't deliver the claimed performance. It'll be in the post first thing tomorrow.

If and when the product delivers the functionality it claims on the box I may consider buying it again.

As I said above, I'm happy to let the Advertising Standards Authority adjudicate this issue.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:38 am »

I have Windows 8 running on a Netbook (Intel Atom, JMark in the low 500's), and have hooked up the Dragonfly DAC to the USB output with no problems whatsoever. All sampling rates from Windows work without audio noise during playback. There is a click when sample rates change, but I've never encountered the problems you have described.

This might be a specific hardware/driver problem and not a general problem with the Audioquest device and all computers running Win8. Steve, would more info from a working Audioquest/Win8 system help troubleshoot this problem?

stereosteve

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:39 am »

Hi Andy -

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have our website team move the Windows 8 issue from the FAQ page over to the top box along with the Vista notice. "Technically", the DragonFly does work with any computer, however it clearly isn't working with every operating system. Now, I don't think its cool to be pedantic and hide behind a grammatical technicality such as this. We want DragonFly to work with all OS's! We've been asking Windows to fix a specific conflict between their USB device driver and their sound device driver since November. We've gotten responses that indicate they're looking into it. We've sent them DragonFly's to use for testing and they have confirmed that they can replicate the problem as well. They promise to get it repaired as soon as they can. I can only assume there are more pressing issues that need attending.

As a side note: What's been interesting is some computers running on 8 do not exhibit the problem you are having.

If you'd like I can email you directly as soon as they have the issue resolved.

Regards,

Steve Silberman

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:50 am »

I don't have any issues with Windows 8 and the Dragonfly.

FYI: I'm using a USB 3.0 port and have disabled USB selective suspend in the power management options.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:13 pm »

This might be a specific hardware/driver problem and not a general problem with the Audioquest device and all computers running Win8. Steve, would more info from a working Audioquest/Win8 system help troubleshoot this problem?

It is clearly a problem sufficiently serious for Audioquest to admit to, albeit in a hidden way, and for them to notify Microsoft and provide Dragonflys for Microsoft to test. "Major problems" is the way the article in "thestreet" that Steve linked to described them.

I can't afford to drop £215 (about $300) on a product that does not work and is therefore of no use to me. Amazon copied Audioquest's sales material, which doesn't mention any issues, and I think it is decent of Amazon to give me a refund. I did post here before initiating my returns request on the off-chance that there was a work-round. To be told to "be patient" is not good enough. For how long? I just cannot afford to put money out on stuff that doesn't work.

Whatever Microsoft's "specific conflict between their USB device driver and their sound driver" is, it doesn't affect my other DAC, which I've been listening to all afternoon. And if the alleged culprit is conflict is between two Microsoft drivers, that rules out a "specific hardware/driver" problem surely?

Should Audioquest ever get a solution to this problem, they're welcome to send me a Dragonfly which I'll happily test. But since Microsoft haven't done anything for six months, I'm not holding my breath. And were it me, I'd try and find out how Meridian, Audiolab, Naim, Audiophilleo et al  don't seem to have any problems with their asynch USB DACs and W8. Implement a driver that works.

It is preposterous of Steve to suggest that the claim "any computer" is true, because it doesn't say "any operating system". Unqualified Windows compatability is clearly claimed in the Dragonfly brochure, which  says "connects to a USB jack on a ... Windows pc ... turning any computer into a true high fidelity music source".

Meantime, I look forward to seeing the changes to the website. I hope amazon also are provided with better copy.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:42:32 pm »

Andy, I believe you have gotten good help from AudioQuest and Amazon.

Sometimes things don't work.  Computers are incredibly complicated.

Maybe your USB controller doesn't work nicely with Windows 8?  Maybe there really is a Microsoft USB audio bug?

Please consider a more gentle tone if you continue to post.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wavelength

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:31 pm »

Andy, Matt, Steve others...

The problem with Windows 8 is selective. It is not across the board a problem with the current Windows 8 Class 1 Asynchronous code. We found the problem during the BETA WIN8 and I reported it immediately to the Sound Group and they could not reproduce it. I sent them a DragonFly for testing with all the results we found. When Windows 8 was released the first week their were 1782 reports of USB problems. The Sound Group sent me an email stating they found the problem and they were working on it.

In my own experience the problem seems more profound when users upgrade their operating system, without upgrading the drivers for everything. The problem with Windows is they don't police the drivers and even stupid stuff like USB Bluetooth devices can effect the audio output in async mode.

Andy,

Your not alone, but I would not blame AudioQuest for this. There was never a problem with Windows 7 which clearly means something changed in the state of USB to cause the problem. But it maybe either your PC vendor or your upgrade (which ever it maybe) did not include a specific driver or something which is causing the problem. I know for my ASUS Windows 8 computer that I have had at least a dozen upgrades for drivers since I bought the darn thing. So far this computer has never had the problem you are experiencing.

We can only do what we can do to help Microsoft out in resolving the issues.

Thanks,
Gordon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WavelengthAudio.com
USBdacs.com
Guitar-Engines.com

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 03:44:39 pm »

Gordon, as the author of the Wavelength code in the Dragonfly, it is great to have your input.

But I have to say I am utterly confused by it.

First you say that Microsoft have found the problem and are working on it.

Then you say that either my pc vendor or my upgrade maybe did not include a specific driver or something which is causing the problem.

So what are you saying is causing the problem? Microsoft and Windows 8? Or my pc vendor?  Which "specific driver or something" is missing? Or is it a USB Bluetooth device? Steve said it was a conflict between two drivers, not a missing one.

Is this just a problem with your Wavelength code? Or is it a more general problem with asynch USB DACs and Windows 8? In which case, which other non-Wavelength based asynch DACs have a similar problems? I can't find any reports online. My asynch Benchmark DAC2 works just fine so it doesn't seem to me there is  a general issue with asynch USB DACs and W8 on my machine. Had the same problem with the Dragonfly on two W8 machines - one HP and one Sony Vaio, so it doesn't seem to be vendor specific either.

I am not blaming Audioquest for the problem. I am blaming them for sales literature which gives the impression that no problem exists. I'm getting my money back. Happy to buy another one if and when the problem is fixed. Good to hear that Audioquest are changing their website meantime.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »

Andy,
 I think you've made it clear how you feel.  Now let's see what they can do about the problem.

Thanks.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 10:50:24 am »

Amazon credited my bank account today, and paid return postage, so all credit to them - (and european consumer legislation).

Meantime I happened across this suggestion which may have helped me, had I still got the Dragonfly. Alas, too late for me to try, but might help someone else.

Any news on the Windows 8 fix yet? As I said, I'll happily consider buying another Dragonfly when this issue is fixed.

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »

It does not appear that Audioquest is the responsible party in this. They have exemplary customer service from my POV over the years

stereosteve

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 12:04:28 pm »

Hello Andy et al-

Microsoft, it seems, has come through with all the needed updates. If you are running on 8 you'll need to do the OS updates and all device driver updates. We've tested the latest updates on several computers and have has no problems.

Regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

DarkPenguin

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 01:12:19 pm »

Do you know the specific update?

stereosteve

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:24 pm »

I don't know the specific update. We got a note from MS telling us to just run the updates and report back.

Steve

DarkPenguin

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »

I'm just curious because my ticking HRT seemed quite tick free today.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 03:36:20 am »

Hello Andy et al-

Microsoft, it seems, has come through with all the needed updates. If you are running on 8 you'll need to do the OS updates and all device driver updates. We've tested the latest updates on several computers and have has no problems.

Regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

Alas, I no longer have a Dragonfly. If you want to send me one, I'll try it out for you. My W8 is absolutely uptodate.

krutsch

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »

I don't know the specific update. We got a note from MS telling us to just run the updates and report back.

Steve

Quick update w/ Windows 8 and the AQ Dragonfly.  I noticed no change, with respect to ticks/pops on Windows 8, even after the latest updates.

I have found, however, that I can mitigate the issue by (a) disabling all other sound devices in the control panel, (b) setting 'Sounds' to No Sounds (as is recommended by AQ) and (c) setting the Hardware buffer size to 250 ms in MediaCenter.  I sort of have to do all of these things, or the ticks/pops return to varying degrees.

FWIW, my desktop rig is a Bel Canto mLink --> NuForce Icon HDP and I have no issues with Windows 8 playback.  Additionally, I am exchanging my Dragonfly with a current build model (awaiting the RMA number), for other reasons.  When I get the new unit, I will let you know if I see any changes in behavior w/ Windows 8 and USB.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 09:58:22 am »

Did you try adjusting your system settings for best performance for background services as suggested in this link? Seems like it would be worth a shot.

krutsch

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 11:01:01 am »

I did not... I use this computer for actual work, so I don't want that setting, in general.

dd6

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 05:29:40 am »

I experience the same problem with Grace Design m903, with USB 1.1 and Audio Class 1 only. But nevertheless it'is an issue for me as I currently use USB separator, which does not support USB 2.0.

It would be nice, if someone could confirm in this thread, when and which update the problem will be solved.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:35 am »

I experience the same problem with Grace Design m903, with USB 1.1 and Audio Class 1 only.
Change the WASAPI buffer size. Different hardware requires different buffer sizes. My Benchmark DAC2 only likes 25ms in USB1.1 mode.

But nevertheless it'is an issue for me as I currently use USB separator, which does not support USB 2.0.
Whatever this is could be causing problems.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »

For the record my issue was solved by putting it back on a powered usb hub.

dd6

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:12:57 am »

Change the WASAPI buffer size. Different hardware requires different buffer sizes. My Benchmark DAC2 only likes 25ms in USB1.1 mode.
I tried all possible buffer sizes already. Tics occur also without USB separator.

From this thread I understand, that USB 1.1 issues have been confirmed by Microsoft and also some DAC vendors.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 05:07:56 pm »

I tried all possible buffer sizes already. Tics occur also without USB separator.
From this thread I understand, that USB 1.1 issues have been confirmed by Microsoft and also some DAC vendors.
Well USB 1.1 seems to work fine with my DAC2-HGC, but I do use USB2.0 normally. If it's an OS issue, I'm not sure there's anything Media Center can do about it. Are you running Vista? (I seem to recall there being reported issues there)

dd6

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 01:11:06 am »

Well USB 1.1 seems to work fine with my DAC2-HGC, but I do use USB2.0 normally. If it's an OS issue, I'm not sure there's anything Media Center can do about it. Are you running Vista? (I seem to recall there being reported issues there)
I run Windows 8, 64 bit. My expectation was not, that MC can solve the problem, but that we could be notified here when this problem is solved by Microsoft. From other posts in this thread I conclude, that this issue is still not solved or am I wrong?

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:46 am »

I run Windows 8, 64 bit. My expectation was not, that MC can solve the problem, but that we could be notified here when this problem is solved by Microsoft. From other posts in this thread I conclude, that this issue is still not solved or am I wrong?
I was not aware of any issues with Windows 8 and USB audio. Can you provide more information on this?

I did see that Audioquest have a note about Vista on their site though, which is what I thought you were referencing. (issues with Vista and USB audio devices - not necessarily the Dragonfly)
Currently, DragonFly is incompatible with Windows Vista. Microsoft is aware of incompatibility issues between the operating system and audio devices and is working towards a resolution.

dd6

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 03:02:47 am »

I was not aware of any issues with Windows 8 and USB audio. Can you provide more information on this?
I don't understand your point. This whole thread is about Windows 8. Please note we are talking about USB 1.1 and Audio Class 1, not USB in general.

I only want some conformation if Windows 8 problems are supposed to be solved or not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 05:54:26 am »

You would need to talk with Audioquest on that.

skalinow

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 12:36:42 am »

I am having this issue, but with Windows 7 Professional.  Have there been any know issues with Win7 Pro?  I tested my Dragonfly on a Windows 8 machine and it sounds fine.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 06:36:02 am »

I am having this issue, but with Windows 7 Professional.  Have there been any know issues with Win7 Pro?  I tested my Dragonfly on a Windows 8 machine and it sounds fine.

I listen to J River MC19.0.102 (Portable) at work on a Win 7 Pro (Enterprise) x86 OS via a Dragonfly - works fine for me.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

sperlsco

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:24 pm »

I just bought a new Dell Venue 11 Pro (7130) Windows 8 tablet and also a Dragonfly 1.2.  I was having trouble with clicks and pops when using MC and came to the forum.  I can confirm that the following appears to have solved the problem for me (which was suggested above, but at an expired link):

Set processor scheduling to "Background services"
This will improve the performance of your audio drivers on your computer. To do this:
- In control panel select "system"
- Go to "Advanced system settings" and then the "Advanced" tab
- Click on "Settings.." under Performance to bring up the "Performance Options" window.
- Go to the "Advanced" tab and set processor scheduling as "Background Services"
- Click "Apply" then "OK

You can also get to this screen in Windows 8.1 by doing a search for Advanced System Settings. 

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

I was getting the clicks and pops too...i decided just yesterday to sell my dragonfly.

I am looking at buying a hdmi 2.0 sound card and go from hdmi out directly into avr and let the denon dac do it's magic.
I heard someone else's setup and it sounded great to me.

Is there any technical information on which would be better?  I have read many people say that a good sound card directly to reciever is the best method if you want to play your music from pc?  Is there any better way?  would prefer technical reasoning over just opinion that one sounds better.

skalinow

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 01:44:40 pm »

I am looking at buying a hdmi 2.0 sound card and go from hdmi out directly into avr and let the denon dac do it's magic.
I heard someone else's setup and it sounded great to me.

To be sure you're using the Denon's DAC, you have to set you audio output to "Bitstream".  Where the setting is found may depend on the hardware.

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:19 am »

To be sure you're using the Denon's DAC, you have to set you audio output to "Bitstream".  Where the setting is found may depend on the hardware.

Huh?  if you use hdmi out to an avr, you would have to use the AVR dac?  hdmi is digital out (not analog), and you can't play digital music, so the avr would have to use it's dac...you wouldnt have a choice?

donunus

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 12:36:07 am »

Can the people having trouble with the dragonfly and windows 8 try it with the latest update that just came out?

notred

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:22 am »

Hi

Have a look at my post win 7 vs Win 8 in MC19...
I had to change to Win 7 to get rid of crack pops and others annoying noises...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:27 am »

I've been using the Dragonfly successfully with Windows 8.1 without any cracks&pops or any other issues.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

loudsky

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 10:47:31 pm »

got the df v2 for christmas,,,,running it on win 8 all current service packs.....it pops and clicks at least once or twice a track,,,,whether playing a cd or a high res file....
pretty disappointing....
just my 2 cents ...apologizes if i missed a solution in this forum...right now i am wishing id bought the meridian

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:39 pm »

Obviously this isn't your fault. In the future, however, if you want to try a new OS you might want to consider repartitioning your drive and installing an OS fresh instead of upgrading. 3rd-party software like MiniTools Partition Wizard can be used to repartition without losing any data. This will give you the option to dual-boot and give new operating systems a try while hedging your risk.

Recently upgraded (if that's the right word) to Windows 8 and I now find my previously excellent Audioquest Dragonfly suffers from clicks and pops and dropouts every few seconds. On the box and main webpage for the Dragonfly Audioquest claim that the Dragonfly will deliver "Beautiful Sound .. From Any Computer", but buried in the FAQ on their website there is a caveat that users may get clicks and pops under Windows 8, so it seems to be a known problem. I've tried all the Output Modes in JRiver, and iTunes, but no joy.

Can anyone help? I know this would seem to be an Audioquest issue, but perhaps there is some JRiver magic that will let me workround the problem.

Solmyr

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 11:43:07 am »

Just got my Dragonfly v.1.2 from the store.
First I ran it on 8.1 (with latest updates) usb 3.0 and got all those glitches pops and clicks. They were extremely loud and frequent if nothing was playing and more less disappeared when I started to listen any music. But not completely.
Then I tested device on the two different notebooks with Windows 10. The same result.
Then I finally read the manual and changed sample rate to 44100 Hz and it made the magic.
Now the device works pretty fine. I'm listening it all the day without any undesirable noise.
Maybe this will help to anyone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up