INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI suddenly requires exclusive mode?  (Read 1023 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
WASAPI suddenly requires exclusive mode?
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:39:47 pm »

Well this is a strange problem. I am used to occasionally disabling the "Open device for exclusive access" option so that I can hear background audio (e.g. waiting for a live broadcast to start) but all of a sudden I am now getting errors when doing this:

I don't think anything has changed on my system since I last did this (which was a few weeks back) other than updating MC18.

Despite what the error says, all I need to do to get audio working is to adjust the Windows sample rate to match the file I'm trying to play, or have MC18 resample to match the system settings. (which I usually leave at 24/48 - the maximum supported)

Is it just coincidental that I've only been playing 48kHz tracks (or downsampled to it) in the past, or has something else changed?

Similarly, any idea why any other application using WASAPI Exclusive requires me to use 24-bit padded to 32, whereas MC18 works whether that option is enabled or not? Is it just automatic? I'm using HDMI and I was under the impression that HDMI requires it to be padded.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WASAPI suddenly requires exclusive mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »

Despite what the error says, all I need to do to get audio working is to adjust the Windows sample rate to match the file I'm trying to play, or have MC18 resample to match the system settings. (which I usually leave at 24/48 - the maximum supported)

This is normal.  If you're not in exclusive mode, you need to deliver audio in the format that matches the mixing format.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up