INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the convert format option  (Read 2222 times)

bimbamboom

• Recent member
Using the convert format option
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:44:24 pm »

When I right click on a video file, select Convert Format, is there a way to put multiple files into a queue for conversion? I see an option to select the number of conversions at one time. By default it is set at 2. But if I add 2 files to convert, Media Center crashes. Am I missing something here?
 ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Using the convert format option
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:13 pm »

Yup,
You can queue up as many as you like (just select more than one item then --> right click Library Tools --> convert format).... but has you have found only one at a time can be converted else it will crash (this bug has been reported and the option to have more than one concurrent conversion should be removed).
JRiver CEO Elect

bimbamboom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »

Yup,
You can queue up as many as you like (just select more than one item then --> right click Library Tools --> convert format).... but has you have found only one at a time can be converted else it will crash (this bug has been reported and the option to have more than one concurrent conversion should be removed).

Thanks for replying.

It would be nice to be able to queue files up. Any chance the developers will fix the bug instead of removing the option?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:27 pm »

Sorry - I don't understand.
- You can queue up as many files as you want
- MC will then transcode one at a time till they are all finished

The "bug" that will crash MC is if it tries to do more than one transcode simultaneously.  Simultaneous conversion is not needed as the transcode engine is multi threaded so will max out your CPU anyway just doing 1 at a time (eg there would be no speed benefit trying to do more than one).
JRiver CEO Elect

bimbamboom

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »

Sorry - I don't understand.
- You can queue up as many files as you want
- MC will then transcode one at a time till they are all finished

The "bug" that will crash MC is if it tries to do more than one transcode simultaneously.  Simultaneous conversion is not needed as the transcode engine is multi threaded so will max out your CPU anyway just doing 1 at a time (eg there would be no speed benefit trying to do more than one).

I tried setting it to convert only 1 file at a time. Then I queued up 2 files by dragging and dropping them onto the "Drop Files Here" spot. As soon as I start the conversion MC crashes. I'm running Window 8 64 bit with 8BG RAM.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »

Aggg you are right - Even when you set it to "1" it reverts back to trying to do 2 conversions and crashes MC.  I'll report up the bug.

FYI - I do mine by creating a HandHeld (see Pic) and this method works fine (you can then use the "right click --> sent to" function to queue up what you want the press the transfer button once configured for just 1 conversion).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:28:22 pm »

FYI - Here is MC with 4 Video files to be converted and it is doing 1 at a time (and the CPU is maxed!)
JRiver CEO Elect

bimbamboom

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:41:28 pm »

FYI - Here is MC with 4 Video files to be converted and it is doing 1 at a time (and the CPU is maxed!)

Thanks jmone, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Time for bed now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:47:47 pm »

The bug of crash when converting multiple videos at once will be fixed next build.

Sorry about that.  It got threaded to do multiple conversions at the same time, but then all the threads are sharing something they should not be sharing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »

Perfect (If I read it correctly the underlying cause is fixed AND you get to keep multiple simultaneous conversions)!
JRiver CEO Elect

bimbamboom

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:04:00 pm »

Perfect (If I read it correctly the underlying cause is fixed AND you get to keep multiple simultaneous conversions)!

Good to hear.
Thanks

bimbamboom

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 10:58:50 pm »

The bug of crash when converting multiple videos at once will be fixed next build.

Sorry about that.  It got threaded to do multiple conversions at the same time, but then all the threads are sharing something they should not be sharing.

I tried adding multiple files to the queue and the crashing still occurs while using v18.0.164. I noticed there is now a newer version but there is no mention of any fixes to the convert option. Can you verify if the crashing still occurs for you?
Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:08 pm »

It is fixed in V167 so you should see it over the next few working day (I guess)
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up