INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to restrict genres displayed in drop-down list  (Read 694 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to restrict genres displayed in drop-down list
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »

When editing a genre with F2 in a column, what determines the list of genres being displayed?  My guess is that it is based on Media Type, so for Documents it would list all genres I use in documents, including my Cooking genres (appetizers, meat, fish), Woodworking genres (tools, finishing, projects) Gardening, Household, etc.

My problem is that I use MC extensively for my documents, and tagging takes quite the long while. It would be so much simpler if the list of genres, subgenres and anything else were filtered according to the view I am using (so when in my Cooking view, only those genres are displayed). The Pane respects the filter, but the list displayed when using F2 in a column does not, and I can't figure out why.

As a test, I just created a custom Media Category list field where I selected a few Woodworking docs and tagged them as Media Category: Woodworking.
I then created a view which would display only those files that had that tag.
I pressed F2 on the genre of one of those files and still got the huge list of genres including stuff I use for Cooking docs.
I thought that the list would be reduced to show only the filtered genres, as it does in the pane I have for Genre.

Is there a way for me to do this?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to restrict genres displayed in drop-down list
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:35 pm »

Let me explain why I am asking this.

My database is taking a long time to load. It opens quickly enough then pauses for up to 5 seconds, then when I click anywhere it pauses again for another 5 seconds (Win 7 x64). My guess it that it is because I have too many tags and custom fields and docs with cover art.  To fix the issue mentioned in my post above, I had created special fields for my Cooking docs, things like "Cooking Genre", "Cooking subgenre" etc so that the only info listed in drop-downs were cooking related. This makes it much simpler to tag. But given the delays in opening the database I thought the worst thing I could do is to create even more custom fields for multiple types of docs (Woodworking, Household, Gardening, etc). I thought perhaps my speed might increase if I removed some of the custom tags and just used the basic Genre and keywords, etc.  I would try that but only if I could ensure that adding a genre to a recipe would not involve going through a list of genres that was 100 items long, hence my idea of filtering using a custom Media Category field.

I guess I should first ask: What slows down the database more, 1) having a single field with 100 + entries, or 2) having multiple fields with less entries each?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up