INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distortion [Solved]  (Read 5906 times)

hessec

• Recent member
Distortion [Solved]
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:43 pm »

OK, First day with the MC18 for Mac.   My system is as follows (simple version)  IMAC with Mountain Lion running UPnUP into a Boulder 1021 via hardwire ethernet patch cord.   I am getting a great deal of distortion when streaming.  The Volume controls (changing them in the program) have no effect on the JRiver Remote for Iphone 5.   I.E. I can always control the volume.  Seems like it should be defeatable from what I read.  I think I am set up to run without any modification to the file (changing bit rate etc...) but it is weird as I can only get the Boulder to run 16bit 48khz even with 24bit 192khz files.  ? I'm really confused.  The distortion is the most bothersome.   Any ideas??  Hopefully simple fix.  I do not have any of these issues with other server software---- they just crash the system constantly hence the change here....

Thanks so much.

hessec

• Recent member
Re: Distortion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:33 pm »

FIXED.  Streaming was downsampling?? to MP3 for everything.  Still can only play FLAC files........ no more distortion

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Distortion [Solved]
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:35:35 pm »

We've seen a problem with several DAC manufacturers that may be the same.

MP3 files had a warbling sound if played at 44.1Khz.  If they were resampled by MC to 48 KHz, they played correctly.  It is a firmware problem and we've reported it to multiple manufacturers.

You might try both 44.1 and 48 to see if this is the same problem.

ragjr2

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43:10 am »

I guess I never noticed this before, but when streaming from J River Media Center 18 to my squeezebox or transporter with a wav file I am getting a lot of distortion.  Also, everything I send from the J River Media Center is being converted to MP3.  If I use the Logitech Media Server, the music is crystal clear and streams in its native file type, i.e., wav, flac, etc.  Any way to improve this or at least eliminate the awful distortion?  I had a MC17 version on my computer, that I used as a comparison and although everything is converted to MP3 there is no distortion.

Thanks,

Ron

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:59:14 am »

Ron….See posts above re: distortion. If you wish to send stream in native file format you can set this under Tools/Media Network/Client Options/Audio Conversion.

ragjr2

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 12:41:35 pm »

Thanks for the input, but I have tried it as many ways as possible.  I do not know what J River did with the updates, but it worked like a charm up until the jump to 18.  The distortion is really audible and makes the listening experiencing unbearable.  No matter what the settings in the Media Network for audio conversion, it has no impact on the streaming.  It is still MP3 and still distorted.  My only solution so far is not to use J River Media Center neither Windows Media Player or Logitech Media Server has any audible distortion of the sound.

Thanks,

Ron

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 02:02:47 pm »

Make sure you have the latest build.  It's at the top of this board.  Then follow the audio setup on the wiki.  It's probably just a setting.

ragjr2

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:09 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing seems to resolve it.  I am removing MC18 and going with the last version of MC17.  At least it does not exhibit this strange behavior.

Maybe you're using the Windows version?  There is no Mac MC17.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:56 am »

Did you follow any of the advice on the wiki?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:24:20 pm »

Hi Ron

Not sure that this helps much but I have MC18 on 3 PC’s (whichever one is on we use as a server), previously we ran MC17. We are also running MC18 on a Mac and can say absolutely that we have never heard any kind or distortion or stuttering whilst running any of our servers – not even the alpha builds on the Mac, which is equal in sound terms to the Windows build in our opinion.

My point is that surely your problem has to be a setting in MC or a weakness in your network; we stream for up to 12hrs a day without problems.

I wish you well in sorting your issue.

ragjr2

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:44:57 am »

No matter what I do or what setting I use while using the play to squeezebox option with MC18 I continue to get distortion through my loudspeakers.  Switching back to MC17, the distortion disappears.  Also, while playing music directly to my squeezebox via Logitech Media Center the sound is crystal clear.  I can find no solution.  I have the latest build and have used the recommended audio settings, but to no avail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up