INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropbox as MC media storage  (Read 10516 times)

krutsch

• Recent member
Dropbox as MC media storage
« on: April 27, 2013, 11:52:05 am »

Hello, just curious if there are plans to support directly managing an MC library hosted on Dropbox.

It would be sweet to host my lossless collection there and access it via MC (my Android with BubbleUPnP already supports this).

krutsch

• Recent member
Re: Dropbox as MC media storage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »

Hello, just curious if there are plans to support directly managing an MC library hosted on Dropbox.

It would be sweet to host my lossless collection there and access it via MC (my Android with BubbleUPnP already supports this).

Well, I guess that answers that question  ;)

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

Hi, I've started working on this same thing trying to eliminate local harddrives.  My post is here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95306.0

I got very close to this working, but can't get MC to play or see the files, or file locations.  Did you have any luck?

Bruti

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:04:27 pm »

OK, so I found this

http://www.netdrive.net/

or this

https://secure.expandrive.com/store

which lets you mount cloud storage providers as virtual drives in explorer.

I haven't tried them, but I'd say logic would dictate if you can access them from explorer, you can load files from them through MC...

Neither are free, but netdrive has a full function 30 day trial to see if it does what you want.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:31:57 pm »

The netdrive looks pretty good, thanks for the tip.  Going to play around with it and see how functoional it is for the music library.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 12:55:37 pm »

I just saw this thread, but I guess I don't understand. MC can generally access files stored on any filesystem that can be seen by the OS, including UNC paths and drive letters on Windows, and anything you can mount on OSX.

So... What exactly do you need MC to support?  Dropbox can certainly be accessed on the filesystem.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 09:27:59 am »

glynor, it's been difficult to get MC to see, play, and edit files/tags that reside on a "cloud" location.  Either mapped to a local drive letter, or referenced with it's url.  I've got it to work, but it's spotty at best.  Here's a thread where I was working on it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95306.0

Might be making it too hard, but clearly am missing something.

Bruti

Weirdomusic

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:26 pm »

I just saw this thread, but I guess I don't understand. MC can generally access files stored on any filesystem that can be seen by the OS, including UNC paths and drive letters on Windows, and anything you can mount on OSX.

So... What exactly do you need MC to support?  Dropbox can certainly be accessed on the filesystem.

Not if the files are not synced to your pc (meaning that they are only stored in the cloud and not locally, which is the ideal way to store lots of data in the cloud), that's when you will need Netdrive or a similar utility.

I've been playing around with this in the past few weeks. Actually, that's the reason why I tested MC in the first place: I first tried to get iTunes play files stored in MS OneDrive (where I have unlimited storage, thanks to my Office 365 subscription), but I wasn't 100% satisfied with how iTunes handled it. Mp3's stored in the cloud would play fine, but it took ages (sometimes 5 seconds or more) before the next track would start to play.

MC handles files in the cloud (not synced locally), including FLAC. a LOT better. It's possible to get gapless playback from Google Drive and Hubic (a lesser know cloud provider). OneDrive and Dropbox were much more hit and miss, but in general playing hi res files from the cloud is just not good enough yet. Some days I could play FLACs for an hour without any hiccups or pauses between tracks and the next day tracks would keep buffering, skip to the next track without warning, etc. In the end I decided to keep storing my files locally for the time being. I will stick with MC though!  :D

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:51:14 am »

Not if the files are not synced to your pc (meaning that they are only stored in the cloud and not locally, which is the ideal way to store lots of data in the cloud), that's when you will need Netdrive or a similar utility.

That's right Wierdonmusic. I think we're not close enough, but it's not bad, maybe the next round of hard drive updates it will be time to transition over to online storage.  The Netdrive app just had an update that fixed some read-only and file editing problems making it better.  The other problem is with a large music library (1TB), it would take a very long time to move music online, so you'll inevitably have a hard drive anyway.  Idk, think I'm going to put it on the shelf for now.

Thanks for talking it out!

Bruti
Pages: [1]   Go Up