INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Cut From CD Going to Unknown Artist During Import [Solved]  (Read 3351 times)

pdparsons

• Recent member

I'm thrilled with the fact that JRiver is developing their Mac version.  It is....or will clearly be...the best software for playing high quality music.  While the development continues, I'm ripping CDs into .wav files and importing them into JRiver.  For some unknown reason, JRiver is placing the first cut of each CD into the Unknown Artist folder, even though the Finder folder shows all of the cuts present and accounted for.  I'm having to manually update the tag as the import occurs and needless to say, this is time consuming and....I didn't discover it until a hundred CDs later.  I've tried running the import manually, using the option for updating through an internet connection (it never gets it right), and deleting and reimporting.  I'm hoping JRiver will have the rip functionality available soon, but until then......any ideas? ?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: First Cut From CD Going to Unknown Artist During Import
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:50:14 am »

I don't work with the Mac version myself, but if I understand you correctly the files are placed in the correct folder. Does that mean the folders are named according to Artist/Album? If so, then you can use Library Tools option to fill properties from filename. In MC you can browse on folder, select all tracks and choose that option. Fill in the correct details with the tags [Artist] and [Album] according to the folder structure.

I don't have MC available here so I can't give you exact step by step details.

pdparsons

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:30:45 am »

Thanks for the response, Inflatable Mouse!  I'll translate into Windows lingo to better explain my dilemma.  Once I rip the CD into .wav files using Windows Media Player, if I look at the file directory using Explorer, I see the Artist Name as the folder name.  I expand that folder and see the correct CD name.  I expand that folder and see all tracks in place with their names.  When I go to JRiver, the import includes all of the same information EXCEPT for the first track.  The list of tracks (all correctly named) for that artist and album starts with Track #2.  If I go to the folder called Unknown Artist, the missing first track for each album is found there.  Most of them correctly display the right album art so I can at least identify the artist and album and edit the info there, but I have to go get the CD cover and rename the track 1 to its correct name.  Doing this for hundreds of CDs is very labor intensive and would love to know that this is just a temporary issue....or that I haven't figured out what I might be doing wrong!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:59:15 am »

I take it MC for the Mac is not ripping CD's yet, so you're bootcamping into Windows to rip the CD's and then back to OS X to import them into MC. As the files and folders are all properly named, you can use my suggestion to fill the properties from the file and folder naming structure. This way you won't have to work through all of them one by one, but can do them first in a small batch, then do the rest in one more go. Shouldn't be more than a few minutes work.

** Disclaimer: steps below are based on Windows version. I assume the steps will be the same or very similar. If you're unsure just ask and someone with the Mac version will help you on your way.

Open the Audio branch and select Files
Add a pane to the view with Filename (Path) if its not already there by right clicking a pane and select add category to left (or right). This pane allows you to select a folder on your disk and see the files that are in there.
Verify all tracks are there and select the track with the incorrect information.

Right click the selection, choose Library Tools/Fill properties from filename

Now, based on the folder and naming scheme used, you need to enter the fields. Example:

Folder and files are named as Bob Dylan/Blood on the Tracks/01. Tangled up in Blue.wav

In MC, you choose Template, tick both Directories and Filename. For Directory you fill in:
[Artist]/[Album]

For Filename:
[Track #]. [Name]

If the track numbers in the filename are separated by a space only, or a -, adjust accordingly.

MC will show the result in the right part, so check carefully. The bold text is what MC picks up as changes.

Try this with 1 file and see how that works. If it works out and you're comfortable with it, you can go back to artist/album view and select [unknown artist]. It should show all the first tracks for all your ripped cd's in a single view. Select a bunch of them, choose the fill properties from filename and review the changes its about to make.

pdparsons

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:04:43 am »

Thanks again....I'll check to see if that functionality works in the beta Mac version.  I'm hoping for a fix that doesn't require manual intervention on every import though....

pdparsons

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:20:20 pm »

Found out what the issue was.  I set Windows Media Player to auto import when a CD was loaded.  It appears that the data for the first cut was not identified by Media Player before the import started.....so, when JRiver went to bring the new files in, it was missing the metadata.  Once I allow the info to fully appear in Media Player, I manually start the import and there's no issue!  I imagine when the rip functionality is in place in JRiver's Mac version all will be well!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up