INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding spec-compliant ID3 tags  (Read 1961 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Adding spec-compliant ID3 tags
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:48:30 am »

While Media Center lets you add any custom library fields that you want - and I have been making use of that feature - it seems that some of the fields I have been adding actually exist in the ID3 specification.
For example, I added [Release Date] which is displayed as "Date (release)" to place it below "Date" when tagging files.

However, from reading the ID3 tag specification, I see that there was originally TORY - Original release year, which has now been replaced by TDOR - Original release time, in the ID3v2.4 spec.

I haven't been writing any of my custom tags to the files, but I would like to write spec-compliant versions of them into the files if they currently exist. (this seems to be a list of them all)

Is it as simple as adding a new field called TDOR and enabling "Save in file tags"?  I assume that the "Display" value only applies inside MC, so I could change that to be "Original release time" so that it's actually usable.

vagskal

Re: Adding spec-compliant ID3 tags
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:50:54 pm »

MC can read and write custom TXXX Somthing ID3 tags. But MC can currently not read/write all standard ID3 tags. The TORY and TDOR tags are among them (making custom MC fields called TORY and TDOR would not work).

It is annoying, I know. And it is the only reason (apart from an easy way to delete unwanted ID3 tag versions, i.e. delete all v2.1 and keep only v2.3 tags, and set my preferred charset) why I still use MP3Tag.

If your post is a request for such support, I fully support that request.

Actually, the TORY tag is my "pet" ID3v2.3 tag and I have been nagging for quite some time to get support for it. I realise that it is not a simple task to add support for date type tags, but they are clever at JRiver when they set their minds to it. And Alex B., a knowledgeable user in this area, has already provided what seems to me to be a workable solution (search the forums for TORY or TDOR).

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »

The MC Input Plugins do some mappings between file tags read/written and MC's version.  I don't know of a definitive list of these for ID3; probably the source code would have to be consulted.  AlexB was the resident Tag Master, but he went MIA for a while, came back, and is now MIA again.

Some folks have asked for a mapping chart.  Perhaps now is a good time to gather the info.  It might fit into the File Properties (Tags) page, or at least be linked from there.

Generally, you can add new use fields using the exact same name as the physical in-file tag, and MC will read/write them.  The Display name is for MC's usage only.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »

MC can read and write custom TXXX Somthing ID3 tags. But MC can currently not read/write all standard ID3 tags. The TORY and TDOR tags are among them (making custom MC fields called TORY and TDOR would not work).
Well that is annoying. I wonder what the reason for that is.

If your post is a request for such support, I fully support that request.
Well I suppose it is now - I just thought it would be a simple case of creating the TORY/TDOR tag manually.

Some folks have asked for a mapping chart.  Perhaps now is a good time to gather the info.  It might fit into the File Properties (Tags) page, or at least be linked from there.
I came across this list when I was searching for information about creating spec-compliant tags.

I suppose I'm just surprised that the full 2.4 spec (which I assume is current) isn't implemented.
It seemed like it should be easy enough - but there's probably a good reason that it isn't.

And I now realize that I've made a mistake by deleting some "user" tags when creating my own - I deleted some that I assumed must have come along with a file I imported or something, but now I see that they were actually "proper" tags. I remember "Mood" but I've no idea what else was showing up there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up