INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballpark development time from Mac Alpha to final version?  (Read 2245 times)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck

Realizing that there are many variables, can anyone predict a likely time frame before the existing Alpha JRiver for Mac reaches completion as a final product?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently running the Alpha on my Macbook, but am becoming increasingly frustrated at the number of features that don't yet work.  It's to the point where I'm contemplating buying a PC notebook just to act as my music server.

If we're looking at a time frame of six months before the JRiver for Mac is final, I won't bother moving to PC.  If, however, the time frame is significantly longer, I can't wait for the Mac version - I need to migrate to PC and move along.

With the understanding that all replies are speculation, would you kindly share your best guess?

Thanks - Boomzilla

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ballpark development time from Mac Alpha to final version?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »

I can't address their expected timelines in any way, but I did want to make two points:

1. Calling any version of MC "final" is... Difficult.  Or, perhaps, it doesn't quite mean what you might think it means.  JRiver essentially does much of their development "in the public eye".  Final, to them, means "we've moved the bulk of our development effort to the next version".  That next version will, initially, be the same as this version (just like any other weekly build) except that they no longer resist (as much) making big changes that break stuff for a while.

You could look at it, a little, like "perpetually beta".  Except their betas are (by and large) the most stable betas, over the long-term, that I've ever seen.  I've been using MC since before it was called MC, and upgrading weekly if not daily most of that time, and... Serious problems from a new build have happened here and there, but they are incredibly rare, and can almost always be mitigated by rolling back a few builds (which itself almost always works without issue).

2. MC for Windows runs beautifully under Parallels Desktop and/or VMWare Fusion (or Boot Camp, but that's less convenient).  I've been running MC in Parallels on my Macs for ages (since MC15-ish, maybe?) and I still do now with MC18, because I'm primarily a video user (or, at least, that's what I use it for the most).  Buying an actual "PC" is almost certainly not necessary.  Your Mac is already a PC, it just doesn't have a copy of Windows on it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »

What version are you running?  And what is missing?

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:52:05 pm »

...MC for Windows runs beautifully under Parallels Desktop and/or VMWare Fusion (or Boot Camp, but that's less convenient).  I've been running MC in Parallels on my Macs for ages (since MC15-ish, maybe?) and I still do now with MC18, because I'm primarily a video user (or, at least, that's what I use it for the most).  Buying an actual "PC" is almost certainly not necessary.  Your Mac is already a PC, it just doesn't have a copy of Windows on it.

THANK YOU GLYNOR - I'd completely forgotten about these options.  Since this is a "one and only one purpose" computer, Boot Camp would work GREAT for me.  I think (hope!) that I still have a full version of Windows 7 laying around.  If so, then this problem is SOLVED.

Next question - I bought a key-code from JRiver.  I thought it was for the Mac version, but since the Mac version won't take registration codes yet, I've just been renewing the temporary registration again and again.  Will my key-code also work for the Windows version of JRiver, or do I have to buy the software again?  

Final question - I bought JRemote for iPad.  Will that program work with both the Mac and Windows versions of JRiver?

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »

What version are you running?  And what is missing?

Latest 18.0.178 - Missing is the ability to rip CDs, the ability to get metadata from the internet, and the ability to edit metadata. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 04:58:08 pm »

Editing metadata should work now.  CD ripping may not be too far off.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

I bought a key-code from JRiver.  I thought it was for the Mac version, but since the Mac version won't take registration codes yet, I've just been renewing the temporary registration again and again.  Will my key-code also work for the Windows version of JRiver, or do I have to buy the software again? 

Final question - I bought JRemote for iPad.  Will that program work with both the Mac and Windows versions of JRiver?
The Mac license won't work with the Windows version of MC.

I believe JRemote works with both, but you should ask about JRemote in their thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up