INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the solution?  (Read 3078 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
Whats the solution?
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »

Ok so I bring entire albums into my 'play now' player window.  But on some albums I want a single (or more) track(s) to not play with the rest of the album…

How do I exclude certain tracks from playing?

Yes I could make a playlist for each album I wanted to modify but there would be very few of them and they would comprise a very few album choices in a sea of complete albums.  In previous players I could select each track (or not) from the album, but I don't see that option in MC, or at least I haven't recognized the proper term used within the system to enable this function.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Whats the solution?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:03:14 am »

Not sure if I understand but...

Bring album into Playing Now, select undesired tracks by Ctrl + Left click. Then r click over any selected track > Remove from list (all selected tracks are removed from playlist.)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:20:00 am »

Ah I see.  And yes you got my gist…

So is this a one time function?

IOW I'd have to do that each time I play that album?

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:47:55 am »

You could rate each track you don't want to play as 1 star then filter your view or create a new view to show only 2 stars or above.
Then when you hit play just those tracks would go across.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:11:52 am »

I see.  Yeah that would work.

I'd still have to remember to use the rating filters, but it would exclude the 'undesirables'…

Thanks     JJ

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 07:46:20 am »

I see.  Yeah that would work.

I'd still have to remember to use the rating filters, but it would exclude the 'undesirables'…

unless you permanently have that view with a list style or I guess create a rule to sort by rating. This works for me but it won't not play the unrated songs, just palys them last, at which time I can choose to switch albums.
[Edit] Obviously any sorting by rating  orders the files in a ranking so for me the highest rated play first all the way through to the unrated tracks.MrChrisZ solution would eliminate the undesirable tracks altogether.The filters or rules would be permanently applied in that view so all that is required is to rate each new album when first played

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 12:52:37 am »

Yeah it's more or less a (semi)permanent exclude from playing function.

There are only a few tracks that I just don't want to hear off an occasional album.

It seems like such a simple and common function…

Oh well into the wish list…

Thanks the the reply's, all.

JJ

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 06:26:40 am »

t's more or less a (semi)permanent exclude from playing function.
There are only a few tracks that I just don't want to hear off an occasional album.

Options for permanent solution
1) delete these tracks
2) Create a custom tag and tag those tracks, then create an exclusion rule for the main audio library to filter those tracks out forever

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »

Yeah  I can see that (#2) working.  Kinda a complex work around but I might just wind up doing that.

#1 eliminates the semi in semi-permanent solution.  So it's not a choice I'd likely adopt.

Thanks for the ideas.

JJ

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 05:50:28 pm »

Try
1)Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library fields > Add New Field.

Name it "HIDE", Flags choose all, Data type, "List",Relational,"Not Relational",Edit type,"Standard", Check "save in file tags", OK out.

2) r click main audio > Customize view > set rules for display > New rule box 1 "HIDE" box 2 "is not any" box 3 "YES" (leave "empty" unchecked) , Apply, OK out (Overide warning and "Overwrite", but can
always be undone)

Done, took 5 mins.

Now select all tracks to hide and in action window tag with hide.Job done.

Optionally can create a customized library view under Audio that only shows [HIDE] tracks so you can see them and un-hide them.Remember to uncheck "inherit rules from parent" for this view (otherwise will inherit the 'hide" rule.

It would be elegant if MC had a hide/unhide option, and the clever coders here may be able to configure it also? However this is a 5 min workaround to consider in meantime.HTH

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »

Thanks for the road map.

I'm still learning MC and while I have fussed with bunches of stuff, 'hidden' features abound.  So getting specific pointers of 'go here, do that…' is helpful.

JJ  :thumb

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 08:27:04 pm »

Yeah, me too. MC is not the most intuitive/user friendly program but it is massively customizable.Pity we cant get both. i suspect a user manual would be too hard to maintain,MC changing with daily or weekly builds

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »

What would be helpful would be a detailed list of key definitions of the technical terms used.  I'm sure the verbiage used is highly specific but without some form of explanation my imagination tends to run away with me.  This is a sure fire way of knowing what the terms DON'T mean  ;D

I mean volume leveling from within the Media Network > 'Add or configure DLNA Servers…' > 'Audio' > 'Advanced' settings makes me wonder…

JJ :thumb

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 09:40:06 pm »

Yes agree, a Glossary.It is difficult when explanations are using terms that are unknown.This is the same in any field.....and God said to Noah, build me an ark 100 cubits, by 1000 cubits". and Noah said, cool Lord, er...whats a "cubit",lol (from a comedy routine by Bill Cosby.)

This forum works well as a online help but cant help but think that a user manual and glossary are basic to most programs. There is a "getting started" and a "user manual" of sorts in the wiki but not really that helpful.

The advanced users here are amazing and catching their threads is always useful when doing a google search of a topic.They have a repository of "useful threads" somewhere but again most newcomers dont want to google search or comb through forum threads.

JRiver has become a 'hobby' for me so quite enjoy it.Try and answer a few questions in this forun when I can,that way I learn also.

The admins here seem to be a good crowd genuinely wanting to keep customers happy.So I am sure requests for comprehensive user manuals etc have been considered,just too hard or impractical.

Good luck, Above all, have fun and enjoy the music  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:25 pm »

A Google search will help in many cases.  Also a search here or on the wiki.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 10:17:00 pm »

Jim,
you sneaky rascal, you've been listening here all along (just kidding) ;). All the best.
David

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »

Yeah I've hit the 'contents' or 'How to' and the wiki sources from the 'HELP' pulldown.  As a rule they raised more questions than they answered, or I couldn't find a reference to what I was seeking.  Probably due to my lack of familiarity with the specific terms used. 

I will try the google approach next.

Thanks   JJ

A Google search will help in many cases.  Also a search here or on the wiki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up