INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me get started with Girder plugin ?  (Read 2545 times)

ronsou

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Help me get started with Girder plugin ?
« on: March 05, 2003, 07:27:55 pm »

I installed an IR device via serial port, and installed Girder 3.2, the girder UIR plugin, and the MediaJukebox plugin for Girder.   The Girder plugin manager shows the IR device is detected and processing messages. In MediaJukebox plugin manager, the Girder plugin started successfully.   Within Girder though, I dont see any indication of the MediaJukebox plugin.  Should I see it there ?

I have never used Girder before for anything.

So far so good more or less, but now I'm kind of lost.   I don't see any sort of UI within MediaJukebox to associate my remote control to actions in MediaJukebox.   (All I really want is to stop, skip to next song, pause, etc).   I was sort of hoping the plugin was going to do this stuff for me.  

Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction ?
Should I see mediaJukebox plug in somewhere within Girder ?   If yes, how do I get it there - just copy something into the Girder plugin folder ?    And then, how do I associate my remote control to actions in MediaJukebox ?  

Thanks very much.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help me get started with Girder plugin ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 07:21:07 am »

I installed an IR device via serial port, and installed Girder 3.2, the girder UIR plugin, and the MediaJukebox plugin for Girder.   The Girder plugin manager shows the IR device is detected and processing messages. In MediaJukebox plugin manager, the Girder plugin started successfully.   Within Girder though, I dont see any indication of the MediaJukebox plugin.  Should I see it there ?

Welcome to to world of IR control on your PC--it's a bit scary in here!

You won't see any indication of the MJ Girder plugin within Girder. The MJ Girder plugin is really an invisible application that passes Windows Messaging parameters from Girder to MJ itself. You use is as the "target" of a Girder "action".

I have never used Girder before for anything.

There is a pretty significant learning curve. Make sure you check out the documentation at the Girder website. The tutorials will get you up to speed on the terminology & basics.

So far so good more or less, but now I'm kind of lost.   I don't see any sort of UI within MediaJukebox to associate my remote control to actions in MediaJukebox.   (All I really want is to stop, skip to next song, pause, etc).   I was sort of hoping the plugin was going to do this stuff for me.

I think your best bet is to download the "pre-made" Girder configuration file for MJ (the GML) and load it into your system. There are a couple floating around out there. There is a basic one on the "Exported Groups" section of the Girder website. I've posted a slightly more complicated one at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=1915210#post1915210

Feel free to search here and at the Girder forums for more information.

Should I see mediaJukebox plug in somewhere within Girder ?   If yes, how do I get it there - just copy something into the Girder plugin folder ?    And then, how do I associate my remote control to actions in MediaJukebox ?

Your last question is more easily answered by the Girder tutorials. Basically, you create a command in Girder. You tell the command what you want it to do (the "action"). You tell the command what you want it to act on (the "target"). You finally define the event that triggers the command (the eventstring). This last bit is the part where you teach Girder the IR codes from your remote.

Good luck! Post back if you need more help!

Brad

ronsou

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 06:27:11 pm »

Brad -
  This is extremely helpful, as I downloaded the file you pointed me to and using the keyboard shortcuts you have defined, can "drive" MediaJukebox now.    So at least I know that girder and mediajukebox are working together.

I have yet to see where I make it Learn my IR remote control functions though.   I see event string for each of the commands, and I see Learn off the menu, and of course I've used regular learning remotes.   I just am not finding where I associate my remote control functions to the events and commands you have pre-defined in your file.     I'm assuming somewhere I am going to point my remote at the IR receiver while I'm telling Girder to learn that event, and then associate that event to your commands.   But, I'm just not seeing where I learn the events and point the remote, etc.
(If I'm off base about the basic plan then please clarify.)

Could you be so kind as to give me another pointer or hint ?   Once i figure out how to make it learn my remote control and associate it to all the events you've already defined, I think I'm all set.

I greatly appreciate your response, and the pre-defined file was a BIG help.   Thank you.

-Ron

:D

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 07:13:24 pm »

I have yet to see where I make it Learn my IR remote control functions though.   I see event string for each of the commands, and I see Learn off the menu, and of course I've used regular learning remotes.   I just am not finding where I associate my remote control functions to the events and commands you have pre-defined in your file.     I'm assuming somewhere I am going to point my remote at the IR receiver while I'm telling Girder to learn that event, and then associate that event to your commands.   But, I'm just not seeing where I learn the events and point the remote, etc.

Yep,

You can check out:

http://www.girder.nl/help/gettingstarted/index.php

Basically, the eventstring you see listed in your Girder window is what will trigger the command it is associated with. Because everyone uses different remotes and different IR receivers, you generally need to delete any existing eventstrings. Then, click on the command you want to teach an IR code to, click the "Learn" button in Girder, then push the button you want to learn on the remote. A new eventstring should appear--usually with a jumble of numbers.

If that happens, congratulations, you've taught Girder to respond to that remote button! If not, more troubleshooting is needed. The usual problem is that you have not turned on the needed hardware plugin in Girder. This is a 2-step process. First, you have to select the correct plugin in Girder's preferences and turn it on so it is loaded. Then, you need to "turn it on". There is a choice in one of the Girder menus to Enable the hardware.

Let us know how it goes!
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up