INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Video to Audio Conversion  (Read 27153 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: Video to Audio Conversion
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:41 am »

Media Center 18.0.187 adds the ability to extract the audio from a video file, using the 'Convert Format' tool.  It can convert to most audio formats, and can perform resampling, channel mixing, or other DSP.

To use, select any number of video files, right-click, and pick Library Tools > Convert Format.  An Action Window will appear at the lower left of the program offering video format choices, and now including a new option to 'Convert video to audio':

Check that box and the converter will switch to audio conversion.

Then use the tool as you always would for audio conversion -- picking an encoder, optionally selecting resampling, channel conversion, or other DSP.

When you run the conversion, you'll get audio files instead of video files.

Notes:
  • Conversion will be bit-perfect if you use a lossless converter, meaning you can extract a perfect copy of the audio from any video.
  • If a video has multiple audio tracks, the converter will use the audio track currently selected for playback.  So to change the track, play, select the track you want, then stop.  After that, conversion will use the newly selected audio track.
  • If you extract DTS-HD, which uses a third-party decoder, you should only run one conversion at a time.  The third-party decoder is not thread-safe.
  • The 'jmone mode' is a little thank-you to jmone for this idea.  It will be removed in a few weeks.
  • You might need to enable DSP and check DSP Studio's 'Output Format' box, even with nothing set to change, with this first build.  This is a bug that will get fixed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator

Thats DTS-HD, TrueHD should be fine, it uses ffmpegs decoder which is perfectly fine on different threads.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thats DTS-HD, TrueHD should be fine, it uses ffmpegs decoder which is perfectly fine on different threads.

Thanks.  I fixed it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW: Video to Audio Conversion
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:09:56 pm »

The 'jmone mode' is a little thank-you to jmone for this idea.  It will be removed in a few weeks.

;D Thanks gents for the outstanding responsiveness by adding this feature.  In my testing it works really well!

...but one more "little" thing! - Creating Particles by Chapter

I see that the biggest use will be for those wanting to rip Music Videos and so we still need a way of doing that by Track instead of the entire Album and of course Particles are the way to go on this.  At present you need to do this Manually.  It would be great if MC could do this for us.  

How to Manage Music Videos by Track (at present)

The first thing you have to do is import and tag up your Music BD as per the example in the Wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles .  At which point you now can play, track and manage each Music Video Track just like you can with a CD (eg make playlists etc) but of course they are still Music Video clips, so to extract the Audio you now need to do is follow the OP!
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:46:27 am »

;D Thanks gents for the outstanding responsiveness by adding this feature.  In my testing it works really well!

...but one more "little" thing! - Creating Particles by Chapter

I see that the biggest use will be for those wanting to rip Music Videos and so we still need a way of doing that by Track instead of the entire Album and of course Particles are the way to go on this.  At present you need to do this Manually.  It would be great if MC could do this for us.  

How to Manage Music Videos by Track (at present)

The first thing you have to do is import and tag up your Music BD as per the example in the Wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles .  At which point you now can play, track and manage each Music Video Track just like you can with a CD (eg make playlists etc) but of course they are still Music Video clips, so to extract the Audio you now need to do is follow the OP!

A BIG +1 on this. I have the Adele concert in the Royal Albert Hall, and it would be great to convert that to a series of audio files for each song.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 12:54:53 am »

Yup - I have this BD as well and never bothered to manually create all the entries either.

Now Check this out  ;D - http://chapterdb.org/browse/36873  Chapter Grabber has an online BD of user submitted data that tags each chapter with a name and start times.  It even has an open source API that can be called.   It even segments out the bits where she is just speaking VS the songs.  Perfect! as you can then just delete the bits you don't want.

As with other media, Imagine if MC could create particles by chapter then do a "Get Info" to pull the data from this site.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 01:09:09 am »

Actually - it is not to bad to use this site and just cut and paste.  Beats typing it all out.  As you can see I just use the whole seconds and make the end of the last track the same value as the start of the next.  If you then do an Audio Conversion the resultant audio tracks are perfectly gapless!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:27:24 am »

Another (better?) option is to use YADB.  It already can support all this sort of stuff, so how about expanding it to cover Music Videos and then it would all be in the JR domain?
JRiver CEO Elect

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »

When converting video to audio (FLAC) -> JMRC crashes - sometimes it just disappears even without any error message(!), when regular crash report appears it mentions ntdll.dll / enc_main.dll / JRPlayer.dll modules to fail.
Enabling / disabling DSP and check DSP Studio's 'Output Format' box does not seem to make any difference.
I put dtsdecoderdll.dll in c:\Windows\SysWOW64 (my system is Win7 64-bit SP1) copied from my TMT5 folder (5.3.1.144)
Happens with DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital...

Seems to happen only when converting to FLAC which is exactly THE target format I would very much like to use with this killer new feature.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:30 pm »

Having the same issue converting to flac.  I've tried converting Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day 5 times now and every time when conversion hits 28% I get a Win 7 popup stating the Media Center 18 has stopped responding.  This last time I enabled logging....  here is the end of the log...

0193847: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::EncodeBuffer: Finish (15 ms)
0193894: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::EncodeBuffer: Start
0193894: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Start
0193894: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Finish (0 ms)
0193894: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 52280, 4096, 22879): Start
0193910: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 52280, 4096, 22879): Finish (16 ms)
0193910: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Start
0193910: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Finish (0 ms)
0193910: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 38920, 4096, 22880): Start
0193910: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 38920, 4096, 22880): Finish (0 ms)
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Start
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Finish (0 ms)
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 47787, 4096, 22881): Start
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 47787, 4096, 22881): Finish (0 ms)
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Start
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::tell_callback: Finish (0 ms)
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 72141, 4096, 22882): Start
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::write_callback(*buffer, 72141, 4096, 22882): Finish (0 ms)
0193925: 3404: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::EncodeBuffer: Finish (31 ms)
0193925: 3404: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0193925: 3404: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 275, wParam: 3, lParam: 0

Thanks,
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:25 pm »

Check your temp file directory setting in Tools/Options/File Locations.  You could be out of space.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 08:36:55 pm »

Check your temp file directory setting in Tools/Options/File Locations.  You could be out of space.

Which one is relevant? I pointed both Audio and Video conversion cache to 200 GB free partition. I also pointed the Program Files/Temporary files there, and the target file as well -> I still get the crashes.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 11:54:54 pm »

No dice.  C Drive had 68G free (128G SSD).  So I moved it to my 1.5TB music drive which has 1.2TB free and it still happens.  Same place  28%.

Thanks.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:01:16 am »

Have you tried a different source video to see if it is just this one?
JRiver CEO Elect

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Re: NEW: Video to Audio Conversion
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 12:13:42 am »

Wish I could, but this is the only one I have.  I'll try using the 2.0 track vs the 5.1 track later.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 12:16:01 am »

Try a different format to convert to?
JRiver CEO Elect

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 12:59:13 am »

APE got to 3% and crashed.  MP3 says failed almost immediately but no crash.  ALAC gets to 100% and then says complete.  No mater what format I pick it always says there is 1 of 1 track being converted.  But when I play the rip in MC, right click, I can select tracks 1 to 17.

I still have the 5.1 audio stream selected.

Any ideas?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 01:06:46 am »

MC will convert the entire audio to one big file.  If you want to break it up by track read my post #5 in this thread on how to do this using particles to define each track.  You then select the individual tracks to convert not the whole BD. 

FYI - the conversons to FLAC is working fine at my end.  I don't have your disk but did one big conversion of a 92KHz / 24Bit / 6Ch --> Flac just fine so I don't know why yours is crashing.  It may need to wait till Matt is back next week and have a look at your log file.
JRiver CEO Elect

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 06:18:59 am »

To me it happens with FLAC only, tried several video files, various source drives etc.

After lots of testing I discovered the problem (at least on my system) is in "Verify encoding" checkbox (how critical is this parameter anyway?) - if unchecked I get no more crashes anymore (until now I had it checked all the time and never had any problems with FLAC when encoding / converting audio files)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 06:39:42 am »

Here are the notes on it from the wiki - "Verify encoding: Validates encoding (TBD: does this work?)" http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Encoding_Settings

Mine was unchecked (default) and I did a couple of conversions with it checked and all fine on my system.
JRiver CEO Elect

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 06:49:54 am »

Here are the notes on it from the wiki - "Verify encoding: Validates encoding (TBD: does this work?)" http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Encoding_Settings

It does not say much, does it  ;) (I already checked that)
On FLAC web http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html it says this:
"With this option, a decoder is run in parallel to the encoder and its output is compared against the original input. If a difference is found flac will stop with an error."

What files were you testing? (video / audio formats)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 07:04:08 am »

OK - I can confirm the crash Johnny B reports using the Dire Straits Alchemy Live BD when converting the 96khz, 24bit, 6ch DTS-MA track (regardless of if the DTSDECODERDLL is used or not) when the Verify Option is checked.  I do not get the crash on 96khz, 24bit, 2ch PCM tracks  Turning off Verify fixes the issue.

EDIT - we already know that the DTSDECODERDLL is not thread safe so hence the recommendation to only do one at a time if use this on the DTS-MA tracks.  It could be that part of the audio decoder does not like being called twice either (which may be why PCM is OK but the various bitstream formats then fail).  Only guessing....

If you extract DTS-HD, which uses a third-party decoder, you should only run one conversion at a time.  The third-party decoder is not thread-safe.
JRiver CEO Elect

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:12 am »

Good guess (mine was similar) however I get the crashes with Dolby 5.1 (TrueHD / Digital) streams too which I assume has nothing to do with the DTS decoder... (2.0 AC3 seem to work fine).
I also tried to demux the audio stream (DTS-MA) and convert this audio only file to FLAC -> I get no crash and it converts to FLAC just fine even when verify is enabled.

All in all it seems that the FLAC encoder has issue with all video files containing surround audio when verifying is enabled.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 11:40:41 pm »

BUMP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 11:32:52 am »

Sorry, but I have yet to be able to reproduce this issue.

Does anyone have a small sample video that causes a conversion crash when using FLAC + verify that they could share to logs (at) jriver dot com?  Also, does it matter if you are running multiple conversions at a time vs one at a time?

Thanks for the help.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 12:09:52 pm »

Sorry, but I have yet to be able to reproduce this issue.

Does anyone have a small sample video that causes a conversion crash when using FLAC + verify that they could share to logs (at) jriver dot com?  Also, does it matter if you are running multiple conversions at a time vs one at a time?

Thanks for the help.

Matt,

For me it is not just FLAC.  On my LZ: Celebration Day BR-A disk on a 5.1 stream, FLAC crashes at 28%, APE crashes at 3%, MP3 says failed almost instantly but no crash, ALAC reaches 100% and completes.  I copy pasted the tail of my log file in a previous post.

I'll upgrade to 18.0.191 tonight and if I have time, try again and email a log.  However, I'm more than willing to mail you the disk if you need it.  At this point I only have the 1 BR-Audio disk so I have nothing else to try or compare it to.  Though I suppose I could try a normal BR movie but not sure if that would be different or not.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:11:00 pm »

While not entirely related to this, I've just tested and in 191, I'm no longer getting a crash when converting DSD to FLAC.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »

Here http://uloz.to/x325qkNX/dts-hd-trailer-mkv I uploaded a sample video file which always crashes MC18 (incl. 191) if audio is converted to FLAC with Verifying enabled - if Verifying is disabled it converts just fine.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »

Tried it again w/ .191 and still failed conversion to flac a 28%. 

Log sent to email address.

Thanks,

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »

I can confirm the crash with the posted test file when Verify is ON. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:37 pm »

Should be fixed next build:
Fixed: FLAC reference code would crash when encoding when an estimated total size was provided to the encoder, the 'verify' option was enabled, and encoding duration exceeded the estimated duration.

Thanks for the help and testing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »

Thanks Matt - Dumb Q but what does "Verify" do anyway and in particular in this process.  Is it worth using?
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »

I created a particle for a video, but it keeps going to the wrong title. How do I assign a title with a particle so I can convert the audio?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 05:15:35 pm »

Hi Mojave, I'm not sure I understand the question fully.  Did you create a Title Particle from a BD using "Right Click --> Stacks --> Advanced --> Auto Create BD/DVD Title Particles" and the resultant particles are not referencing the correct Titles?
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 05:47:53 pm »

I am using Stacks > Advanced > Create Particle and manually entering in the start and end time.

I just found that if the bookmark is set to default, then the Blu-ray always starts playing from Title 001. If I set the bookmark to Yes then the Blu-ray will resume from Title 003 (the one I want).

I close the Blu-ray when it is playing Title 003, create the Particle, and then playback the Particle. On playback, the Particle reverts to Title 001. I then change it to Title 003 and now it will stay there.

I just tried to convert and it crashes with APE, but works with FLAC. I'm leaving and will be gone the next 3 days so I'll have to revisit when I get back unless I have some free time.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »

Ok - MC will auto pick the "best" title each time and 99% of the time that is right.  If you do need to change the title (even on the particle) just select it from the right click menu when playing the particle or manually add something like this to the "Playlist Info" field "(14:BlurayPlaylist)(10:00003.mpls)".  Likewise you can do this with the streams as well.  Just tested and it worked fine for me
JRiver CEO Elect

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »

Should be fixed next build:
Fixed: FLAC reference code would crash when encoding when an estimated total size was provided to the encoder, the 'verify' option was enabled, and encoding duration exceeded the estimated duration.

Thanks for the help and testing.

.193 seems to have fixed my issue with .flac.  It now completes the conversion. Thank you!!!

Now to figure out the particle thing....

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 09:01:18 am »

Fixed indeed - thank you

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:42 pm »

.193 seems to have fixed my issue with .flac.  It now completes the conversion. Thank you!!!

Now to figure out the particle thing....

Ok, I'm totally confused.  I know I'm doing it right but it's not 100% working.  Here is what I did, what am I doing or what do you think is wrong?

ver .193

1) rip BR-A disk - in my case Led Zep: Celebration Day (only one I have).
2) play the rip, go to jump and write down the track info.
3) create particles for each track
4) convert each particle to .flac
5) done. or I would think.

There are 16 tracks on the Celebration Day disk.

What I ran into:

1)  When I created the particles, 3 of them didn't take.  Not sure why (cover Art didn't go over and had an x next to it.  After about 5 minutes they disappeared from the library.

2)  Of the particles that did stay, 10 of them wound't convert.  They just say there at 0%.  If I clicked on them then started playing from the beging of the disk.

3) 3 of them converted just fine.  No issues.

So I did them all at the same time, the same way.  So, I'm confused.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »

I've reported a bug where some particles seem to be created with a malformed filename, and as you can not edit this field you have to delete these ones and recreate.  I find about 1 in 3 have this prob.  Can you please check yours and post a screen shot?
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »

If converting a multi-channel movie to a mono audio file, the file has clipping. Is there a way to prevent this? It may happen with conversion to stereo, too, but I haven't checked.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2013, 12:50:04 pm »

I have a Blu-ray in my drive and it is visible in Drives and Devices. When I try to convert format directly from the Blu-ray, the rip disc action window appears. If I import the Blu-ray into the library and then convert format from a library view it works as expected.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:14 pm »

Using Matt's instructions:
In my case the default BD audio track is the 6 ch 48 kHz True HD but I wanted the 2 ch 9600 PCM track so I started playback of the PCM track and converted the entire concert to a single FLAC file. The result was FLAC 2 ch 9600 as expected.
With some learning of the details of cue files I was able to create one which JR was able to read and split the single FLAC to individual tracks.

I did not start down this path but instead started with the 'create particles' route. This will work as long as the BD audio track you want is the default track. There is no way to select the BD audio track in the particle. At least I couldn't do it I always got the 6 ch 48 kHz track.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 03:44:39 pm »

You should be able to select the audio track when playing back a particle just like you do with the original. 
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »

There is no way to select the BD audio track in the particle. At least I couldn't do it I always got the 6 ch 48 kHz track.
Are you selecting the track but it just won't stay selected when converting? I had a similar problem a few posts up with the Particle always playing back the wrong title. I changed the Use Bookmark tag from Default to Yes and that fixed the problem.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »

I started playback and selected the audio track and then created particles (for the first few tracks). Then convert the particles to FLAC.
I never tried to select the audio track just prior to converting to FLAC for each track so I don't know if that would work. The bookmark may also work. I have to say creating the cue file takes a tiny fraction of the time it takes to go down the create particle path. Less typing & less mouse clicking. It's not really very difficult.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 06:17:03 am »

Just to keep discussions linked, I've provided MC19 feedback here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86187.0
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up