INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can this be done?  (Read 2132 times)

Grim Reaper

Can this be done?
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:59 am »

Before I invest in JRiver, I need to know if it can solve this problem.

Equipment:

I am using a Dell Optiplex 960 desktop computer with a Radeon HD4350 video card with an LG 50PM6700 Plasma HDTV to watch video and internet content.

The computer has built-in audio and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio card with optical audio in/out and analog in/out.

I also have a Sabrent USB-SND8 external audio device which has optical audio in/out and analog in/out connections.

I also have a USB to analog in/out device.

I also have a Radio Shack video switcher which has 6 analog and optical audio inputs and 2 simultaneous analog and optical audio outputs and converts analog audio to optical audio only.

I am using a Sony compact component system for 2 channel/stereo audio which only has analog RCA input that powers two speakers.

The LG HDTV only has optical audio out, no analog audio out and doesn't have any audio input for anything connected via HDMI.

Situation:

The computer sends video and audio via HDMI to the HDTV, the HDTV sends optical audio to the Sound Blaster X-Fi card which sends analog audio to the Sony unit.

When I use the HDTV only, not sending video to it from the computer, the audio is able to be heard from the HDTV and the Sony unit simultaneously.

Problem:

When I send video and audio from the computer to the HDTV via HDMI, feedback occurs because the audio is looped back via the HDTV optical audio output into the Sound Blaster X-Fi card.  In order to prevent that, I have to turn off the audio sent to the HDTV via HDMI which disables the sound from the HDTV and there's only sound from the external speakers attached to the Sony unit.  This situation is not what I want.  I want the audio from the computer to be heard from the HDTV's internal speakers and from the external speakers attached to the Sony unit.  I have tried various configurations but haven't found one that works.  The problem is that I can't break the feedback loop that occurs when using the HDTV with the computer and the Sony unit.  Is it possible to use JRiver to do that with any combination of use of the various hardware I have?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can this be done?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »

Try this:

Create a zone that sends audio to the Sony using any analog output from your computer.
Create a zone that sends audio to the TV using HDMI from your video card.
Link the Zones together

Does that work? No need for loopback etc.

Grim Reaper

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »

Try this:

Create a zone that sends audio to the Sony using any analog output from your computer.
Create a zone that sends audio to the TV using HDMI from your video card.
Link the Zones together

Does that work? No need for loopback etc.

I looked into that but got too confused to accomplish anything.  I couldn't figure out how to associate inputs and outputs with Internet Explorer, etc.  Would you please give me some instruction about how to do this:

1. I am running BBC iPlayer (it uses Flash) in Internet Explorer on the PC.  I want to simultaneously send HDMI with audio to the HDTV and analog audio from the PC to the Sony amplifier.

2. Optical audio is sent from my HDTV to the PC.  The PC sends analog audio to the Sony amplifier.

Thanks.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »

Sorry, I am not sure how to do this in Explorer. My method will work for sounds originating from MC, which is what the forum is about.
You might try the loop back feature of MC, which doesn't require external hardware connections between different sound cards.
That way MC takes the input if all your PC's sound and applies the sound settings you have specified.
For best results, you might need to buy some hardware.

Grim Reaper

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »

Sorry, I am not sure how to do this in Explorer. My method will work for sounds originating from MC, which is what the forum is about.
You might try the loop back feature of MC, which doesn't require external hardware connections between different sound cards.
That way MC takes the input if all your PC's sound and applies the sound settings you have specified.
For best results, you might need to buy some hardware.

Thanks for your assistance.  I'll do some more research.  It's unfortunate that Microsoft changed the ability to select multiple simultaneous audio outputs after Windows XP.  As you suggest, a hardware solution such as an optical audio to analog audio adapter might be the way to go.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:49:39 am »

Thanks for your assistance.  I'll do some more research.  It's unfortunate that Microsoft changed the ability to select multiple simultaneous audio outputs after Windows XP.  As you suggest, a hardware solution such as an optical audio to analog audio adapter might be the way to go.

They changed it in Vista, but changed it back in Win7 I believe. There may be a thread in AVSForum on how to do it, started by Assassin.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:01 am »

They changed it in Vista, but changed it back in Win7 I believe. There may be a thread in AVSForum on how to do it, started by Assassin.

Found it! Hopefully there will be some useful info for you in there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up