INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit-Depth selector in DSP Settings  (Read 3628 times)

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
Bit-Depth selector in DSP Settings
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:06:44 am »

I can't find the Bit-Depth Selector in DSP Settings anymore... i need that option to use a Benchmark Dac 1 USB with 16bit files and Kernel Streaming... otherwise I can't play them with Kernel Streaming.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Bit-Depth selector in DSP Settings
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:03 am »

We should add bitdepth to Kernel Streaming, like we did with WASAPI.  I'm not sure if an automatic mode is necessary or if it would be sufficient to just default to 24-bit and allow it to be changed.

However, we recommend using WASAPI if you have Vista or newer.  It should work fine with a 16-bit device.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jologskyblues

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:12:58 am »

I hope option to select bitdepth in Kernel Streaming mode returns in future revisions or is at least set to 24-bit dithering by default. I have been using Kernel Streaming reliably with my HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC since WASAPI push or pull at any buffer setting introduces clicks and pops during playback. Until then I have reverted back to MC 18.0.175 stable.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit by the way.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:29:04 am »

The issue is that bit-depth selection used to be a part of the DSP section of Media Center, but it has now been moved out of DSP and into the Output Mode section of Media Center.
Previously, Kernel Streaming did not have the option to select bit-depth, and it seems it has not been updated with that option since that change was made. (I'm sure it will be updated soon though)

I would also suggest moving to WASAPI output since you are running Windows 7.
If you are having difficulty with WASAPI output, make sure you have the correct device selected, and that exclusive mode is enabled. If that still fails to play audio, you may have to disable Event Style WASAPI.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:22 am »

The issue is that bit-depth selection used to be a part of the DSP section of Media Center, but it has now been moved out of DSP and into the Output Mode section of Media Center.
Previously, Kernel Streaming did not have the option to select bit-depth, and it seems it has not been updated with that option since that change was made. (I'm sure it will be updated soon though)

I would also suggest moving to WASAPI output since you are running Windows 7.
If you are having difficulty with WASAPI output, make sure you have the correct device selected, and that exclusive mode is enabled. If that still fails to play audio, you may have to disable Event Style WASAPI.

In the latest version the issue is fully operational under kernel streaming. I have MC installed on a windows 8/64 laptop and Qute HD DAC. Could you please advice which in your opinion is the best setting: using the native 16, 24 bit of the flac files, or selecting the maximum 32 bit, which works fine with my DAC. I can report hearing more space with the 32 bit. What is the meaning of 32 floating?
Thank you,
Vlad

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:47:32 am »

It appears to be a 32-bit DAC so you're probably best sending 32-bit integer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up