INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Library Server failed to start"  (Read 7301 times)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
"Library Server failed to start"
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:42:52 pm »

It was working fine on both my PCs and my Mac (build 187) through this morning.  Then, it stopped working on the Mac.  I restarted the Mac.  Same issue.  I then updated to build 191.  Same issue. 

No configuration changes on the Mac or anywhere on the network since last night; it just went from "works great" to "won't work at all" overnight.  Naturally, Gizmo won't connect, either.

Full error message when I test the connection:  "Library Server has failed to start.  Double-check that the configured port is not already in use and that your firewall software is not blocking it." 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Library Server failed to start"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »

Could be the network.  Try powering everything down and back up.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »

Could be the network.  Try powering everything down and back up.

Will try this evening and let you know in the morning.  Thanks for the suggestion.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:39:55 am »

It was working fine on both my PCs and my Mac (build 187) through this morning.  Then, it stopped working on the Mac.  I restarted the Mac.  Same issue.  I then updated to build 191.  Same issue.  

No configuration changes on the Mac or anywhere on the network since last night; it just went from "works great" to "won't work at all" overnight.  Naturally, Gizmo won't connect, either.

Full error message when I test the connection:  "Library Server has failed to start.  Double-check that the configured port is not already in use and that your firewall software is not blocking it."  

Also, just as a test, try changing the port number MC is using.  If some other application is using the same port, MC won't be able to bind to it.

This might happen if you changed MC's port to one used elsewhere, or by dumb luck when some applications select random ports (uTorrent for example).

If that fixes it, you'll need to figure out what other app is using MC's port and fix it (or just settle on the new one).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »

Well, this is quite odd.  I restarted the network.  This time, I got the same error message when testing connection on the Mac, but was able to connect and run things headlessly using Gizmo without a problem and despite the error message.

I am a bit confused about the port numbering issue.  I manage ports on the router rather than on the individual computer, which, I guess, is how it's usually done.  I am at work now, but just tested remotely the server settings on the three versions of JRiver that are on computers connected by ethernet to my router (a PC laptop, a PC desktop, and the MacBook Pro).  The PC desktop gave no error message, the Mac gave the message that I mentioned (although followed by the message that sets out the access key and says the configuration can't be reached from the internet, about which I don't care), and the PC laptop is caught up in a "failure to update"  loop that I will have to address by uinstalling and reinstalling.  Anyway, given that the PC desktop connected to the same router as the Mac is working just fine and not getting the error message, I dunno what i ought to be doing about router ports at this point. 

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »

And I just reinstalled on the PC laptop via remote access.  There is no error message on that computer, either.  As is the case with the PC desktop, it's connected by ethernet to the same router as the Mac that gets the initial error message. 

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »

I too have been seeing the 'Library Server failed to start' (all the others were fine) for a while now.  191 and 190 and 187 all had the same issue.

But after restarting several layers (MC and Media servers and the Mac itself etc.) it would come up and then function.  It seems to be the only server with 'issues'.

And just another request…
Would it be possible for us users to be able to re-start the media servers, either individually or en-mass?

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

stevem2

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:20:12 pm »

I have had the same issue since first installing (190 is the only version I have tried so far). I have restarted everything to no effect. I cannot connect using JRemote as it says the access key is invalid. I have no idea how to change ports on a Mac. My firewall is off and I uninstalled my security software.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 05:16:02 am »

I too have been having the same issue for a while.  However following Glynor's suggestion I did a bit of Googling and found how to see which ports were in use. 

If you type "sudo lsof -i -P" into a terminal window it, it lists the ports that are open.  It came back with

EyeConnec  105....................:1900 &
EyeConnec  105......................home:1900

So it looks like Elgato's EyeConnect software has already got that port.  Elgato's EyeTv is also running on the mini and after a search of their website  I cant find a way to change its port number.

So my question is how can I change MC to use a different port for its SSDP server?

Paul
2012 i7 Mac Mini - Media Center for mac |
Debian Wheezy 64 bit - Media Center for linux| Exasound e28 DAC

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 06:34:09 am »

That's the port that SSDP is supposed to use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Service_Discovery_Protocol

The other program shouldn't have it exclusively.  You can use two web browsers on port 80, for example.

stevem2

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:06:30 am »

I also had eyetv installed but since I wasn't using it I found an uninstaller on elgato's website and uninstalled it. It made no difference. Neither did upgrading to version 193.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 03:10:15 pm »

Well Jim, I read the wiki you pointed to, but unfortunately I don't understand it.  So in layman's terms are you saying the fact that Eye Connect is using this port for something isn't the reason for the failure of the ssdp server to start in MC? If so I'll give up  trying to find what's wrong and wait till you fix it.  Given what stevem2 says I'll not bother uninstalling it just to to see.

Paul

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »

It was working fine on both my PCs and my Mac (build 187) through this morning.  Then, it stopped working on the Mac.  I restarted the Mac.  Same issue.  I then updated to build 191.  Same issue. 
If you mean that it was working, but without updating MC, it stopped working, then it's possible that something that changed on your system is causing the problem.  Can you think of anything?

For a better understanding of ports, I'd suggest an Internet search.  It isn't something I could explain easily.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 07:56:01 pm »

Here is an interesting twist.

The Media Network player showed up and is playing a track but there is no sound.  And the library server is not running (failed to start).

AND after restarting the DAC there is sound (the library server still shows as being down…).

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 08:26:27 pm »

A client PC can connect to a server's DLNA Server, but that is not the recommended way to play from one PC to another.

stevem2

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 10:43:26 am »

I'm still having the same problem with build 194. Despite the server failing to start, I was once able to stream briefly from the Mac to my PS Audio PWD but not for long.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 09:02:50 pm »

A client PC can connect to a server's DLNA Server, but that is not the recommended way to play from one PC to another.
So if I understand this correctly, the DLNA server should initiate the connection to all 'clients'.  I can see why this would be. 

And the ability of one 'client' to connect to another 'client' is a bit dodgy in the scheme of things.
hmmm!!!!!!

And yet more 'interesting' behavior.
The SSDP server is not running, but all other servers are and music has been playing for almost 2 hours.

I hope this helps

JJ

stevem2

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »

I uninstalled MC (including deleting the user/libraray/J River folder) and reinstalled build 194.  At first I had the same issue but MC was also frequently creashing when I used tools/options (as reported by others in a separate thread).  I discovered that after some crashes the server was working and I was able to connect and use J Remote for the first time.

stevem2

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »

I still have this problem with build 197 but I noticed two things I had not previously picked up on.  First, the problem only seems to occur if volume control is disabled.  Second, if I just start the program and do not test the connection, it works fine. If I test the connection, it disconnects and give me the error message.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 04:08:35 pm »

I too still have it. I have it irrespective of the state of the volume control and turning media network off and on has no effect either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up