INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with DLNA and Library Server playback  (Read 1104 times)

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
Problems with DLNA and Library Server playback
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:19:43 am »

Right now if PC 1 is serving to PC (both have Media Server enabled and all three boxes for renderer, server and controller are checked), I cannot play ALAC on PC2 using Library Server unless I check “Convert Audio when Necessary”. This does not happen with local files. When I check that option however, FLAC files suddenly show as playing from WAV which is not necessary. As I can’t find a thread on this, I assume this is not normal.
Another issue is that I can’t play a CD or DVD from PC1 and send it to PC2. Again, I can’t find a thread on this so I have a feeling something is amiss. I have tried several DLNA options.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
Re: Problems with DLNA and Library Server playback
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:11:45 pm »

Solved the optical disc issue. It was simple. None of the DLNA settings that I had tested had: "Original" in their Audio conversion outputs.

The ALAC problem however is even more general: none of my m4a's, regardless of the bitrate, can play through library server ... That would mean converting 12,000 files, which JRiver does easily, but I would like to avoid. I'm certain I've done something wrong but absolutely cannot find what ...

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:41 am »

After further testing, DVD's play on PC2 from PC1, but audio CD's don't.

In the end, I am having PC2 use it's own Library by having it access file through Windows network (I'm on win 7- 64). There is a marked decrease in performance using Library server, plus there's the m4a issue. I would be happier using Library Server, but really data intensive movies will occasionally pop and stutter while the same file will play beautifully through the network. Both setup a use the same path (there is a Gigabit switch and a gigabit router), but the results a far from identical. Is Library server a type of DLNA?

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:51 am »

You ask some interesting questions and raise some interesting points that I too would like to know.

I tried playing FLAC over the internet either having the client ask the server to convert when necessary or not.
It does that on the fly and when it does convert it plays better via the web (as my external connection is [A]dsl.

I would have thought that DLNA just uses uPnP to create and identify the path that you manually use when you (point a network path via a shared drive?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up