INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is JRiver MC stable and working good on OSX as of 061813 or should I wait?  (Read 3150 times)

Nyal Mellor

• Recent member

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.

It's stable enough to use.  I say go for it and start learning how it works now.  It works fine with iTunes/PM on the same machine too so you can switch between if you wish.  Also, once configured, it will auto update all music as you upload to the drive as long as you point it to the music file drive.  Last, once all your settings are set and you update the version it saves all the settings so you can continue along. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

This is the official line:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78389.0

It's mostly stable and usable.  It's not perfect.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus

My 2¢…

It is stable and functional enough to learn how to use the program.  It needs a fair amount of time to learn.  Intuitive is not a word I'd use to describe the interface.

That said, (as was noted), once the program is 'properly' setup and functional, it sounds quite nice and the ability to configure itself is quite extensive, (= complexity).  This degree of configurability is required due to the scope of what the program is capable of presenting, how it can be controlled, all while handling a variety of inputs and outputs.

And since there is no 'manual' per se, the info on this site along with the built in links to the WiKi info, is where the gems of setup and how to configure the app, are to be found.

"Try it you'll like it…"  would seem to apply here.
But remember it IS alpha s/w

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

But remember it IS alpha s/w
We call it beta now.

Nyal Mellor

• Recent member

I am using JRiver on a PC. Want something as easy to use and non computer geeky as possible. Last thing I want is for me to recommend something and have it crash, have bugs, etc.

We will be only using JRiver for library management and syncing a portable device. Library will live on a NAS and playback is from a Bryston BDP1 so we are likely only using the base functionality (rename songs, rename artists, rip a new CD, import downloaded hi-rez music, sync player, etc) - we won't even be using JRiver for playback.

Alternatively if there is a nicer library management app then we could use that. We can't use iTunes as it doesn't support Flac (remember the end user is not a computer geek like us and so I think all the third party mods that are out there won't work).

Radio Jimbo

I installed JRiver for Mac less than a week ago, and have been very pleased with stability. I haven't found it overly daunting to use, but then I haven't really asked it to do much, either. The remote control app for the Ipad works well, also. What most shocked me was the sound---a significant improvement over Pure Music/ITunes, at least to my ears.
Pages: [1]   Go Up