INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AISO4ALL Dragonfly Windows 8  (Read 2297 times)

1snake11

AISO4ALL Dragonfly Windows 8
« on: June 21, 2013, 03:42:13 pm »

Hi all. HELP! I am using a dragonfly with AISO4ALL to play 96khz 24bit files on windows 8 but the dragonfly will only glow blue showing it is playing them in 48khz...Is there a setting I'm missing? How can I get them to play in native resolution. I have tried wasapi but I can get all files to play in that setting. AISO4ALL will play all files but only in 48khz

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: AISO4ALL Dragonfly Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:47:33 pm »

Welcome.

WASAPI is the best output for a Dragonfly.

ASIO4All is not recommend for any hardware.

More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 01:46:27 am »

ASIO4All is not recommend for any hardware.

For what reason ?

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:19 am »

For what reason ?
I can't speak for Matt, but my understanding is that it's a wrapper for Kernel Streaming, so you should just use Kernel Streaming directly if you want that. (but native ASIO, or WASAPI are preferred)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:45:24 am »

I can't speak for Matt, but my understanding is that it's a wrapper for Kernel Streaming, so you should just use Kernel Streaming directly if you want that. (but native ASIO, or WASAPI are preferred)

Your explanation is an accurate reflection of the Wiki link that Matt posted. Looks like you 2 are in sync.. Nice work.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:01:14 pm »

The problem is that sentence is false.  It's an Internet Myth.

The author of ASIO4ALL once wrote:

"ASIO4ALL sits on top of the same Kernel Streaming interface that WASAPI sits on top of and thus also completely bypasses WASAPI."

Whether or not that is better or worse depends on many other things that vary from system to system.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

I don't see how that contradicts what I said.

kstuart

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »

Because the oft-repeated phrase "ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper for Kernel Streaming" is a massive oversimplification that tells you nothing about computer audio.   It is like "Asia is just another continent, so just stay in Europe".

In fact, "WASAPI is just a wrapper for Kernel Streaming" is equally true (and false).

kstuart

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »

I suspect that JRiver's problem with ASIO4ALL is simply that it is third-party software, so it introduces an additional layer of problems.   For example, the most recent ASIO4ALL release has a bug whereby the action of the 44.1<->48 option is the reverse of what the option says.   This already caused a problem to be reported in this Forum that was not due to MC18.

In contrast, WASAPI has no third-party software, and so JRiver can just deal with the well-known details of the API, without any further "variables" being introduced.

As a programmer, I can sympathize with that.

I would rather that JRiver frankly say "ASIO4ALL introduces factors beyond our control, so if you use it, you are on your own", rather than just repeating irrelevancies about "wrappers" (probably less than 10% of the readers understand technically what a "wrapper" is).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »

Quote from: kstuart
The problem is that sentence is false.  It's an Internet Myth.

The author of ASIO4ALL once wrote:

"ASIO4ALL sits on top of the same Kernel Streaming interface that WASAPI sits on top of and thus also completely bypasses WASAPI."

Whether or not that is better or worse depends on many other things that vary from system to system.

He also wrote on the same forum:

In order for ASIO4ALL to be able to use a device, it must have a WDM driver with kernel streaming support.

Pages: [1]   Go Up