INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting from .ape to best format  (Read 2203 times)

Docfxit

• Recent member
Converting from .ape to best format
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:58:25 am »

I have ripped a lot of CD's with JRiver into .ape files.  I would now like to tag the files and I can't find a program that will recognize most of the files in .ape format.
I'm thinking of converting them all to MP4 lossless.  What steps do I need to do to accomplish the conversion in batch?

Thank you,

Docfxit

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Re: Converting from .ape to best format
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:07:34 am »

Hmmm...

The author of Monkey Audio (.ape files) is Matt, the lead developer of Media Center.  I don't think you could find a program more able to work with ape files.

what problems exactly are you having.  Media Center should handle ape files flawlessly and since ape is a lossless codec/format, there isn't really anything "better" to convert to.
pretend this is something funny

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:26:39 am »

I'm with Justin, this problem doesn't make sense to me as described.

If you ripped your audio to .ape with MC then MC will be able to tag the files to suit.

For my mind, I associate .mp4 files with video that typically use an AAC audio container:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4
Do you mean .m4a lossless? ... i.e. ALAC?
If that's the case then just opt for ALAC via Tools > Options > Encoding > Encoder > ALAC

But as Justin rightly points out, what's the sense in converting from one lossless format to another unless you can't play (say) .ape files on a particular system in your hardware collection?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 03:39:40 am »

It sounds like his problem is that APE is not widely supported by other tools, which is why he wants to use another format.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:54:11 am »

I have ripped a lot of CD's with JRiver into .ape files.  I would now like to tag the files and I can't find a program that will recognize most of the files in .ape format.
Why not use MC to tag?

Docfxit

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:36 am »

Why not use MC to tag?

That would be great to use MC to tag.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Exactly what steps am I supposed to do to tag file within MC?

Thanks,

Docfxit

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »

Select a file or files and click on Tag in the Action Window.  The wiki has more information.  Tags are also known as properties.

There is a wiki topic on Classical Music.

Docfxit

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:24:33 am »

Why not use MC to tag?

I have tried to use MC to tag.  Most files are not recognized.  I would like to tag many more files that MC doesn't recognize.

Thanks,

Docfxit

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »

Can you provide details on one file that MC does not recognize?  Do any other software players recognize this (these) file(s)?  How did you acquire the file(s) in the first place.

There are very valid/legitimate audio (or video) files that MC can't manage, so I suspect your files are the problem, not MC; but it would be good to validate that before trying to 'fix' anything else.

Also, how are you trying to get MC to recognize the files?  Are you trying to import them with MC, or are you just navigating to them with MC and trying to play them?

The more specific information you can provide, the more/better help you are likely to receive.

I'm sure we can help get you squared away, with enough information about your problems.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up