INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple libraries  (Read 5532 times)

druism

• Recent member
Multiple libraries
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:55:01 am »

Please can someone advise me on how to set up MC for Mac to be able to toggle between two libraries? I thought I had sorted it out but it worked once and stopped. The libraries are separate iTunes libraries. I am not sure how I set up the first library (Main) which works fine but I assume MC cannot parse the itunes library, as such, and needs to be pointed to the folder wherein all the media resides (I am talking music only here). The Main library works fine but if I try to create a new library (by browsing), MC cannot see the library document in the other iTunes library and, if I show it the folder with all the music files it says it cannot do it. So I am currently having to change application to listen to the second library. Toggling between iTunes libraries in iTunes is not much of a breeze; having to reboot the application to do so but Fidelia has a useful feature which allows there to be a Fidelia library or to read the iTunes library, so jumping between the two is relatively easy. I am using MC on a dedicated MacMini music server and using screen sharing to operate it from the main computer or using iPhone and iPad apps to control the music selection.

Thanks

Drew

P.S. A very minor detail I have found is the attributing of stars to tracks by mouse is a bit difficult. In that the clicking does not register until you move the cursor away.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Multiple libraries
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:51 am »

You can create any number of Libraries.  Don't place MC's Library (when you browse to create it) under the Music folder anywhere.  It is a separate collection of files and folders for MC only.  You might want to create a new folder, say Documents/MC Libraries and under that, create your libraries.

Libraries only contain references to the media files, and each library will reference the configured set of (imported) media files.

For most people, creating and using multiple libraries is not necessary, as you can use a single library and configure views to show content from one, the other, or both.  The benefit is that you don't need to duplicate views, settings, etc.  So make sure there's a very good reason for a separate library before going down that path.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:55:47 pm »

For most people, creating and using multiple libraries is not necessary, as you can use a single library and configure views to show content from one, the other, or both.  The benefit is that you don't need to duplicate views, settings, etc.  So make sure there's a very good reason for a separate library before going down that path.

Having trouble finding a FAQ or how-to on doing this. I created a library for all my music including my iTunes files and also the HD FLAC and other files that live outside iTunes and another library for the non-iTunes files only. Would like to be able to manage that from inside a single library.

Can you help me find the necessary instructions?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:00:00 pm »

So you used MC's File > Library Manager and did an Add Library to add a new library?

Just select the Main Library, and once loaded, go to Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import... and add the path to all your media files.  This will be your one library, and you can manager all your items here.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:59:26 am »

Just select the Main Library, and once loaded, go to Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import... and add the path to all your media files.  This will be your one library, and you can manager all your items here.

I already have done that. So I have three libraries: one with my iTunes music, one with FLAC and other non-iTunes files, and one with everything.

But I don't get how to follow your suggestion to accomplish the same thing with a single "everything" library:

For most people, creating and using multiple libraries is not necessary, as you can use a single library and configure views to show content from one, the other, or both.

Working with my "everything" library, how would I configure a view that excludes my iTunes files?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:28 am »

A quick way is to exclude the directory where the files are or the file type in the search window.

-itunesmusic
or
-alac

or search for what you do want.

You can set up a new view to do this, too.  Right click on Audio in the tree to begin.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:39 pm »

Which of the views would you like to customize first?  Look at each of the view under Audio, and decide which of them suits your needs the most, and we'll start from there.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:59:51 am »

Thanks for the help. I have my views configured.

Next question is how to set the sorting order? In my view, there is a "2" and an arrow next to album and a "4" next to track, which I presume indicates that the former is the second sorting criteria and the later is the fourth. But I can't seem to find where this is set. (I like the iTunes "album by artist" sorting approach.)

Also, in my library some but not all of the songs imported from iTunes appear twice. One instance will have the correct "/" syntax for the file path while the dupe's file path is marked with Windows-like "\" backslashes. How do I fix this?

MrC

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 08:30:58 am »

The sort order for the intra-group items in a file list is controlled by the Sort Inside Groups By / Sort By setting in the file list's pull down.

Each media type has its own Default sort order simply named (Default), which is built into MC (and not readily discoverable).  For Audio, it is:

Album Artist (auto) (a-z)
   Album (a-z)
   Disc # (a-z)
   Track # (a-z)

MrC

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:31 am »

I'm not sure about what caused the multiple entries, but can think of several possibilities.

This is the Mac version, and there have been changes required to accommodate different path styles.  It could be a bug, or it could be that you've imported from two different points of entry (one Mac path style, one Windows UNC path style through any file sharing you have enabled).  Check your Auto-Import path configuration.

It is also possible that these paths are being dragged in via playlist references.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:37 pm »

The sort order for the intra-group items in a file list is controlled by the Sort Inside Groups By / Sort By setting in the file list's pull down.

I click on the pull down --> sort inside groups --> sort by --> custom

But custom is a blank (empty) box

MrC

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »

When you get there, click the Add button to add items.  The blank area is where the list of sort items will go.  You're almost there...

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:23:50 pm »

No add button (see screenshot)

Actually the default sort would be OK with me, except that I am unable to override the setting for "Various Artists" as album artist. Specifically the "album type (complete): multiple artist," which I can't change, seems to override setting a single album artist for all the tracks on the album...

MrC

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:12 pm »

Confirmed - its broken on the Mac version.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 09:37:11 pm »

What about the multiple artist problem?

override the setting for "Various Artists" as album artist. Specifically the "album type (complete): multiple artist," which I can't change, seems to override setting a single album artist for all the tracks on the album...

Even though I manually set the Album Artist tag to be identical for the album, the multiple artist album type tag can't be changed, so the album sorts as "various artists"

druism

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 01:04:04 pm »

Hi. It took me a while to work this out but I got there in the end with help from here and elsewhere. Here is what I did but feel free to correct me if there is an easier way:

Before you try to set up another MC library you need to create a new folder for it in the same place as your existing library which will probably be called "Library". So click on your main library in the Playing From list and the path to your existing library should be clearly visible. This is so the new folder goes adjacent to or at the same level as the main library folder. Make a note of the path to the new folder so when you set up a new, empty library, you can fill in the path to where to the library is to be located.

Next, in the Playing From... list click on Add library, fill in the new name and the path and create an empty library. When it is created you will be invited to import files from a folder of music files. You can auto import, so that new things added to or taken away from said folder will adjust in the library. I went for the auto import set up and the default set of options should work (you can change these later of course) as good settings. Click finish and you will see the files getting logged and then the cover art and then you are good to go.

In my case the two libraries copied are both iTunes libraries which I created in iTunes and live in separate places but I assume a bucket of music files will do wherever it is, with a proviso, no doubt, about locating them on a different machine or disc. I think the JRiver MC library switching is a JOY. It is so easy and quick, unlike iTunes where you have to re-start the application. Which seems nuts when you consider that changing a library in MC is much like changing a library in Aperture; Apple being perverse again :0]

It depends on what music you listen to and how you listen to it but splitting a classical / modern music library from a popular music library is a valuable feature and I am grateful MC has made it so easy to do. Once you know how :0)

Drew
Pages: [1]   Go Up