INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging problems  (Read 2247 times)

PhilipAC

• Recent member
Tagging problems
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:05:19 am »

Hi

I am transferring in my Library to MC which come from a variety of sources and in a depressingly large number of cases much of the tag info & cover art
doesn't get copied across. I am loath to re-tag all my 800 files.

Does anyone have any useful tips, or could point me towards other threads which contain useful tips please?

Philip

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging problems
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:04:06 pm »

You are more likely to get good advice if you supply more details about your situation.  Such as

- the file format of your music files (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, ...)

- the software you used to rip your CDs?

- the software you used to tag your files?

- Did you move the music files to a new location before importing them into MC>

Your problem may be that your music files and the folders they ar ein don't have tags and cover art.  That information might only be present in the database of the music player you were using.

Bill

PhilipAC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:52:18 am »

Thanks Bill

I now realise that the files I have problems with do not contain the tag info in the file, so obviously I will need to retag where necessary.

But I have one remaining problem- cover art. I have lots of files where I have changed the file name. Not only does no cover art come across, but Look Up on the Internet doesn't work either. I have tried dragging and dropping from SA-CD.net or Amazon, but the cover art won't drop.

Is there a solution here please?

Thanks for your help.

Philip

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:48:14 am »

I politely suggested that you provide more information about your situation.  You didn't make the effort.

Bill

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:07:21 am »

I would suggest the Jaikoz Tagger program, that tags your files nearly automatically - but for only 800 files it looks like overkill to me.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »

Do your files live in (semi-) well-defined directories, and have (semi-) well-defined names, such as Artist\Album\Track # - Name?  If so, grabbing these tags might be easy.

Cover art lookup requires valid Artist and Album tags.  So this needs to be solved first.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

GROBEC

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:56:46 pm »

Hi
Tagging is always a challenge for me.
Is there a clear tutorial on how to do it with JR/Mac?
I see 2 options. jr to file and file to JR.
Does this mean if I clean up tracks etc in JR and hit JR to file that my master files get SAFELY updated?
Thanx
Late 2009 intel Mac Mini, Maverick, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Jeff Rowland MC6, Wilson Watt Puppy.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »

Manage your data in MC.  By default, it will take care of updating your tags in the files.   You don't have to manually do this.

What is it you have trouble with?

GROBEC

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:30:57 am »

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I suppose I am protective of my "master files" and it seems like different players read them differently.
As I update JR for any abnormalities like artist, album artist, orphan tracks or cover art,,,, does this mean my master files are permanently and automatically updated? Scary?

If so, then what do the 2 options in library management do? from file and to file?
G
Late 2009 intel Mac Mini, Maverick, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Jeff Rowland MC6, Wilson Watt Puppy.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »

MC has been robust as a tag writer for a long time.  The code is well tested, so don't worry here.  If you are protective of your master files, then I'm sure you have a nice protected backup anyway.  Right?

By default, MC's auto-import will not write out tags to reflect the changes you make inside MC.

But manual changes to tags outside of watched folders, or manual imports will have tags updated to external files, and it will also update the tags when certain operations are performed, such as audio analysis and possibly cover art download.  This is normally considered a good thing.

You can disable tag writing entirely (disable: Edit > Update Tags When File Info Changes).

Two two options allow you to manually pull or push metadata changes from the files or to the files.

GROBEC

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 01:46:58 pm »

Thank You!
Much appreciated.

yes backup on and off site.
They change though when I back up the main disk.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 02:08:05 pm »

Thank You!
Much appreciated.

yes backup on and off site.
They change though when I back up the main disk.

You might consider maintaining an additional archive copy.  I add new files to the archive when I have the tagging done.  I do not update the archive for changes to existing files.  This gives me a fallback in case I do not detect a user error until several backup generations have past.

This is easy to set up with many backup programs.  You just specify that only new files are to be copied to the archive; changed files and deletions are not reflected in the archive.

Over the years, I have moved to larger and larger USB drives for backup.  The archive resides on a USB drive that has been retired for use for regular backups.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up